How many Fuegos in Australia
  • Register
  • Help

Default How many Fuegos in Australia

It would be interesting to know how many Fuegos are actually on the road in Australia. Even in WA it seems that there are just as many sitting in bits, or complete in garages, sheds etc as on the road.
    Bought 4 seats- all front- with mechanisms working but two needing retrim and two maybe be able to be restored and reasonable bootmap.

Basic car is still there , with few other bits missing, but, motor, box and most trim intact.
    Wish I had some room.

Advertisement
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

[QUOTE=Westair]It would be interesting to know how many Fuegos are actually on the road in Australia.

Is it possible to acces any registration stats,to find out?I know of 4 owners,and am awear of at least another 3 cars on the northern beaches of Sydney.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Numbers Victoria?

I have tried to keep a record of the different Fuego's that I see around Melbourne - There are about a dozen I see regularly, and probably another 20 around that pop up occasionally plus our own family of four road registered cars.

There are probably 40 or more unregistered Fuego's that may or may not make it back on the road and underpinning that lot is a few wrecked and for stripping Fuego's (I have two unregistered and one wreck for stripping at home) One of those will probably make it back on the road.

How many are actually sitting in backyards or under tarps around Melbourne, its hard to say, there is usually one or two for sale at any one time in the Trading post, and usually a choice of about three at each of the Pick-a-Part wreckers.

I have heard of five stored in the country near Melbourne and there would be more in the larger cities like Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo, there were a couple driving around Echuca at one time.

I think it is a good time for anyone interested in re-aquiring a good Fuego to do so as prices still are rediculously low for this interesting motor car. Good examples are still about and some gems tucked away in garages in dry storage.

Ken Bailey may have a good idea of active owners who buy parts from him and each time I go up to Rowen Court I see other Fuegos (that I haven't seen before) around Auto Paris and Paul did have a few spares. French Connection in Airpost West likewise.

I know of red 1986 Fuego with only 60,000 km on the clock (original tyres) that turned up at a FCD, it's garaged with unfaded original paint in perferct condition and only used once per week to drive to his local watering hole, as prices rise (or present owners die) examples like this will appear.

There are about a dozen under active restoration that I have heard of. including at least one that will be show and shine class (similar to overseas restorations) rather than road use. As this class of restoration becomes popular it will soak up most of the better car bodies about.

I will leave it to you to guesstimate the Fuego population of Victoria?

Our interest in Fuegos was only rekindled a month or so ago and since buying ours we are obviously more concious of them. We live approx 100k from Perth and there is another Fuego within 20k that has only done 52000ks which includes the trip from Victoria about 2 months ago.
    I have seen another 4 around Perth and there has been 3 different ones advertised in Quokka (our Trading Post) in the last two weeks.
    I know of two partly dismantled but recoverable.

I think you are correct Ken in saying that if anyone is considering a Fuego the time is now especially if some come on the show scene.
    Also if the one in Darwin sells even close to the asking price the market will be effected.
    There is a limited number of cars of the Fuego type with air, power, electric windows, great seats and more importantly handle and stop , and have performance comparable with the current market at a very economical price.
    Plus look at the support from AUSSIE FROGS!!!
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

[QUOTE=jo proffi]
    Quote Originally Posted by Westair
    It would be interesting to know how many Fuegos are actually on the road in Australia.

Is it possible to acces any registration stats,to find out?I know of 4 owners,and am awear of at least another 3 cars on the northern beaches of Sydney.
    Jo
    Not in WA. I tried to trace history of classic car and no way would our Govt depts help.
    I suggested they charge for this service and not interested. I believe a number of car clubs etc have approached them as well but negative response.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1972 VW Kombi

Harold Ganeen.

1000+ Posts

Default Times change things

[QUOTE=Westair]
    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Not in WA. I tried to trace history of classic car and no way would our Govt depts help.
    I suggested they charge for this service and not interested. I believe a number of car clubs etc have approached them as well but negative response.

No its a different world today; 25 to 30 years back I was trying to trace former owners of a particular brand of car, and was invited to search the archived cards at the Victorian Motor Registration Branch in the old Dungeons at Carlton and printed off all the old fading tinny styled zerox ownership copies - and by ringing them all was able to recover many old bits and pieces as well lots of stories on where they went.

You would not get past the counter these days - but in those days the Motor Reg was very helpful. And not one of the former owners were concerned that I had traced them through "official records", they were just all happy to help - Amazing how many engines/cars were pushed into main sewage ditches or just left out in the bush abandoned.

I even found a chassis half buried under blackberrys with a few precious lamps and other stuff still attached.

1000+ Posts

Default Passed another "new" Fuego today.

Funny about this thread, I turned onto the Freeway at Bulleen today heading to Nunawading and right in front of me was a nice white Fuego, registration beginning with N. Gave the female driver a nice wave as I drove past in my silver 86.

I haven't to my knowledge seen that one about before.

Ken

[QUOTE=Kenfuego]
    Quote Originally Posted by Westair

No its a different world today; 25 to 30 years back I was trying to trace former owners of a particular brand of car, and was invited to search the archived cards at the Victorian Motor Registration Branch in the old Dungeons at Carlton and printed off all the old fading tinny styled zerox ownership copies -
    I even found a chassis half buried under blackberrys with a few precious lamps and other stuff still attached.
    Ken - I am curious about what type of car you were tracing, all those years ago??
    So many projects - so little time.

1000+ Posts

Default Kind of left that out - deliberately

[QUOTE=604 tragic]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego

Ken - I am curious about what type of car you were tracing, all those years ago??

yeah I kind of left that out deliberately, but it is as simple as ABC really

Thread Information