Renault 21's
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Renault 21's

Tadpole

Default Renault 21's

Does any one know how many of these cars are in Aus?
    Great cars and reliable, however parts are really rare on the ground here.
    I need to source a auto transmission oil filter and sump gasket (MJ3)
    as auto needs a service (Three speed) can any one point me to a local supplier.

I have found supplier in the states for both parts at a reasonable cost including freight and $ exchange (unlike Renault AUS spare parts)

Your thoughts and wisedom is appreciated

Andy

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by andy R 21
    Great cars and reliable, however parts are really rare on the ground here.
    I need to source a auto transmission oil filter and sump gasket (MJ3)
    as auto needs a service (Three speed) can any one point me to a local supplier.

I have found supplier in the states for both parts at a reasonable cost including freight and $ exchange (unlike Renault AUS spare parts)

Your thoughts and wisedom is appreciated

Andy
    I think a few hundered Phase 1 were sold, and only a handfull of Phase 2 (used to have one - great car).

Manuel Automatics in Thomastown have service parts for the auto. Anything else is usually found at Carrevelle Imports in Box Hill, or European Auto Imports, also in Box Hill.

Wanna buy some bits? Currently wrecking one like yours. Motor (I think) is taken, and may have a buyer for the auto, but most other stuff has to go. Would like to sell as much of it as I can, rather than see it go to the crusher...

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I think a few hundered Phase 1 were sold, and only a handfull of Phase 2 (used to have one - great car).

Manuel Automatics in Thomastown have service parts for the auto. Anything else is usually found at Carrevelle Imports in Box Hill, or European Auto Imports, also in Box Hill.

Wanna buy some bits? Currently wrecking one like yours. Motor (I think) is taken, and may have a buyer for the auto, but most other stuff has to go. Would like to sell as much of it as I can, rather than see it go to the crusher...
    Certainly interested in spare parts of your R 21 carcass How much? and whats left?
    Andy

Certainly interested in spare parts of your R 21 carcass How much? and whats left?
    Andy
    Lots of stuff Engine and all EFI gear spoken for (someone doing a Fuego EFI conversion), and I think KenFuego wants the auto for his Fuego. Door trims and seats are going to my ex for her R21.

But suspension, driveshafts, wheels, brakes, steering electrical stuff etc etc etc is all up for grabs. Give me a bell on 0417 511433. Open to all reasonable offers.

HI Andy 21

I recently bought a 90 R21 auto for $400. I love it, goes good, cheap to run but had poor to no reverse when warm. Now no reverse at all, managed to aquire damaged manual for $300 so if Colin at Alpine Affaire is lucky will do conversion.
    Cause I cant get 21 out of drive,I got my first fuego for $200. spent $300 to get road worthy, not bad car either, but family prefers 21.
    Could be because of 4 doors. But me, I think 21 does every thing better.

Hi Andy 21
    Like Haakon I am also wrecking a 21, car is still complete except the ECU was sold to Auto Paris a couple of weeks ago. MJ3 trans works perfectly and motor runs sweetly (until ECU got sold). Car looked and drove resonably well so anything you may need should be there.

David.

Once again call colliers in sydney he must know of something around the place. The R21 is a great car. Fantastic value now.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Once again call colliers in sydney he must know of something around the place. The R21 is a great car. Fantastic value now.
    You beat me to it Daniel...what do they pay as kickback these days?
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Tadpole

Default ozkiwi

i had a R21 turbo losts of fun
    still have factory workshop manuals for same free to a good home

The Marseille is a marvelous machine.

The Marseille is a marvelous machine.
    Daniel, have you ever thought of writing a few entries on Wikipedia?

I searched for Renault 21 and someone forgot to mention it was a marvellous machine

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Daniel, have you ever thought of writing a few entries on Wikipedia?

I searched for Renault 21 and someone forgot to mention it was a marvellous machine <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Justin that sounds like a good idea. Just joking. They are good though. Very nice interiors.

Justin that sounds like a good idea. Just joking. They are good though. Very nice interiors.
    Simon calls the 21 the french Magna.

The autos are not renowned for longevity and the only owner I know who had a manual copped the dreaded crown wheel failure in the gearbox problem.

Best avoided unless, you know what you are dealing with, have access to a mechanic who knows what he or she is dealing with and have the money to pursue fixes for problems that prove elusive to diagnose.

Sorry to be that negative but I have watched a good friend pour buckets of money down one of these cars only to eventually retire it for want of a solution to recurrent intermittent issues that basically defied his financial resources and will to fix.

I hate to say it but I think the Japanese are probably better at faking european cars than the frogs are at imitating japanese cars.

On that note:

Answer: Too many? ;-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Simon calls them the Aussie magna :-)

What like this chinese version of the magna

American version of the magna

Or aussie 380 magna

What would be the modern Renault equivalent of the Renault 21???

And I reckon there are maybe only 30 or so 21's are maybe left on the roads..... you don't see many anymore..... well there were not many to start with......

The Renault 21 replacement for Oz would have toi be the Laguna I think?

Whats with the R21 bashing? I have found them to be very bloody reliable, and dirt cheap to run. Only glitchs the AR4 had was electrical and caused by idiot mechanics and eventually sorted myself by finding the loose connection.

The MJ3 in the R25 refuses to die after 250K km.

And the 88' R21 GTS Wagon I had in Europe put up with silly amounts of abuse, hard driving and no maintenance for 6 months without missing a beat.

R21's are OK, it's just the "snooze" factor associated with the styling that everyone complains about ;-)

..and yes Daniel, you're right.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Whats with the R21 bashing? I have found them to be very bloody reliable, and dirt cheap to run. Only glitchs the AR4 had was electrical and caused by idiot mechanics and eventually sorted myself by finding the loose connection.

And the 88' R21 GTS Wagon I had in Europe put up with silly amounts of abuse, hard driving and no maintenance for 6 months without missing a beat.
    You can only go on what you have observed Haakon. I know that 21's are still toddling about in numbers in parts of europe but I would have to guess that has something to do with an adequate support system as much as anything else. The problem here is that we have never had an adequate support system for vehicles like the 19,21 and 25. Hence unless you are smarter than the average bear when it comes to orphans like these there is a fair likelihood that you will strike trouble and that means money. You're a bright fella H and know enough to realise when mechanics are stuffing you around plus you have the naus to fix things yourself when needed.

Unless you're someone like yourself H, I'd still say buyer beware.

Last edited by BogMaster; 29th September 2005 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    You're a bright fella H :
    aww, shucks Seriously though, its not rocket science working on these things. They are a pretty basic car and any mechanic with half a brain should be able to fix them without drama.

aww, shucks Seriously though, its not rocket science working on these things. They are a pretty basic car and any mechanic with half a brain should be able to fix them without drama.
    I'd have to agree about the straightforward design of the 21, but I'd reckon 9 out of 10 mechanics faced with a non functioning 19/21/25 auto gearbox would be selling you a complete rebuild.

The fuel injection/ignition can cause grief. That's the main reason my friends 21 is sitting in his shed. The mysterious random stopping disease. It has been through every reputable Renault mechanic in Canberra (and we have some good Renault mechanics here) and still manages to do it.

The gearbox crown wheel rebuild on the manual set him back half the original purchase price of the car and the hunt for the fix to the random stopping business has cost him about the same. He finally decided to call it quits having basically doubled the original cost of the car in two years or so of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    The fuel injection/ignition can cause grief. That's the main reason my friends 21 is sitting in his shed. The mysterious random stopping disease. It has been through every reputable Renault mechanic in Canberra (and we have some good Renault mechanics here) and still manages to do it.

:
    Thats odd - am yet to lay a finger on the EFI or ignition systems on the R21 or the R25, apart from spark plugs occasionally and a temp sensor once on the R21...

Is this the car that had the failure to proceed issue on its return trip from Perth? Or was that another car?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Is this the car that had the failure to proceed issue on its return trip from Perth? Or was that another car?
    Thats the one. Problem turned out to be loose TPS connection (my fault, not the cars). Could have fixed it if I had bothered to look, or pulled the fuse and driven home with top gear only, but I wanted the free flight for me and transport for the car courtesy of RACV Total Care. Ended home richer for not paying for fuel

Tadpole

Little boxy thing is the most boring looking car I have ever owned. And comfortable, and reliable, and economical. And incredibly good value because people often don't go past the less than suave exterior. I'd blush to tell you how little I paid. Have had some transmission problems as well as the head gasket, which seems typical of the breed, and perhaps more than most they need to go to a mechanic who understands french cars. Now if they only had peugeot 504 or 505 seats in them I'd be completely happy....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information