Anyone wana spring compressor??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anyone wana spring compressor??

I'm having a coil spring compressor made up,replicating an old well tried design consisting of a thick plate,like a horse shoe, with 2x hooks attatched to 12 inch threads.Any one else want one whilst I'm at it.Dont know the cost yet,but will find out tomorrow.This system works well and I trust my musician hands to it.I dont know what other cars it works on, but definatly works well on a fuego.Let me know sooner than later if interested.
    Jo

Advertisement

Hi Jo,

You can put me down as definate for one assuming the price works out in the resonable range,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Alby
    Hi Jo,

You can put me down as definate for one assuming the price works out in the resonable range,

Cheers
    Resonable varies with how much you need/want one.Its looking like one will cost about $100-150, and more will be a reduction of about $20 per unit.Its going to be heavy, so maybe another $20 postage.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Three hooks better

Jo

The one I had made up to the original design of the Renault one has three 5/8" threaded hooks, its very safe and secure. I have the measurements if you wish. I had two made up, one is with Mistarenno and the other with another Fuego owner.

I found the two handy in removing parts from one car and transferring them to another, price to make up was a bit over $150 per unit, but cheaper than bringing an original Facom tool from England.

I"ll check and see if I have a photograph.

Ken

Dimensions on sketch inner = 5 5/8" (145mm)
    Gap 2 5/16" (60mm
    Ring inner diameter 7 5/16"
    Ring outer 7 3/4"
    10 mm block welded as spring perch
    Lower plate was 10mm
    Holes were clearance on 5/8"
    Hooks made from 1" x 1/4" flat steal and strongly welded to 10" threaded rod.
    All filed to clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone wana spring compressor??-fuego-spring-compressor.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 16th September 2005 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Add photo

Thanks for that sketch,Ken.Thats pretty much it, but the one I have to copy has two claws, not three.I supose the three would allow greater control of the shape of the spring,and be safer as spring slippage would not occur.Of the 20 or so removals I've done, the 2 claw compressor has never slipped or allowed any movement.I'll certainly be thinking about the difference.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Original Facom tool

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Thanks for that sketch,Ken.Thats pretty much it, but the one I have to copy has two claws, not three.I supose the three would allow greater control of the shape of the spring,and be safer as spring slippage would not occur.Of the 20 or so removals I've done, the 2 claw compressor has never slipped or allowed any movement.I'll certainly be thinking about the difference.
    Jo

Jo
    This a photo of part of an original Facom set, the one on the left is the same dimensions as in the sketch and you can see the little spring perch step inside the ring. It is made of Aluminium as is the insert on the right that allows you to remove other Renault front springs.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone wana spring compressor??-fuego-spring-comp.-plate.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Default How did you go Jo

Hows things coming along Jo, did you get my pm.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Hows things coming along Jo, did you get my pm.

Ken
    Certainly did, but have been flat out with work,so no time to think.Back on the scent tomorrow.
    Jo

Resonable varies with how much you need/want one.Its looking like one will cost about $100-150, and more will be a reduction of about $20 per unit.Its going to be heavy, so maybe another $20 postage.
    Jo

Thanks Jo,

$100 to $150 plus postage fits my definition of reasonable, so happy to go ahead if you do.

Cheers

ive taken a photo of the 2 prong design,but dont know how to post or host or whatever.I'm ahead of myself,but I'll e-mail it to ken and hope he can post it for me for your perusal.Thanking you (Ken) in advance.
    Jo

ive taken a photo of the 2 prong design,but dont know how to post or host or whatever.I'm ahead of myself,but I'll e-mail it to ken and hope he can post it for me for your perusal.Thanking you (Ken) in advance.
    Jo
    Cant even manage to do that.Alby,Give me your E-mail, and I'll E-mail a photo of the one I'm copying
    Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone wana spring compressor??-img_2455shrunk.jpg  

Wow can anyone else see that thumbnail? if so, just learned to post a picture Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Congratulations!

Wow can anyone else see that thumbnail? if so, just learned to post a picture Jo
    One great leap forward for mankind Jo! Congrats.

That is one pretty basic compressor - and it does look like it could be "improved" by an additional hole and threaded hook - I would also probably beef up the outer ring (goes outside the spring) just to improve anti slip and containment - Hook design looks o.k. but good welds are essential.

If it works and is secure and strong enough to do the job, no worries.

Ken

Thread Information