R10 gearbox to R12 engine
  • Register
  • Help

Default R10 gearbox to R12 engine

Hi,
    Can anyone please tell me if the spline on the input shaft to the R10 gearbox matches the R12 or Virage clutch plate?

Advertisement

If the input shaft you have is a fine spline yes, if it is a coarse spline no.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    If the input shaft you have is a fine spline yes, if it is a coarse spline no.
    Thanx Simon. The R10 is quite early and so I suspect it will have a coarse spline.

Could I use the R10 clutch plate in a 1289cc engine?

Quote Originally Posted by uggliozzi
    Could I use the R10 clutch plate in a 1289cc engine?
    No, the R10 1100 clutch plate is smaller than the R12 clutch plate. Also if the R10 gearbox is an early one, you will need the later R10/10S type bellhousing (identified by bolt on flywheel cover underneath) to fit the 12 motor and clutch.

Hmm. I had hoped to use the bell housing from the donor vehicle.

The 1100 has only done 77,000 miles in 38 years and its only defect appears to be a dried out tappet cover gasket (leaks like the government). Looks like she'll stay original.

Thanx once more Simon. It's good to get such definitive answers.

Default Round Eye R10?

Quote Originally Posted by uggliozzi
    Hmm. I had hoped to use the bell housing from the donor vehicle.

The 1100 has only done 77,000 miles in 38 years and its only defect appears to be a dried out tappet cover gasket (leaks like the government). Looks like she'll stay original.

Thanx once more Simon. It's good to get such definitive answers.
    Hi uggliozzi,

Is the R10 you mentioned above one bought through the Trading Post from a guy in the Hills?? If it was then its my old Round Eye!! Hope its going well and you are getting as much enjoyment out of this classic little car as i did!!
    On the other hand i may have made myself look like a complete tool if this wasn`t my old car DOH!!!

Might bump into you or some other frogs at the French Car Day this sunday.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Anthony,

Sorry mate but it is not your old one. I found mine sitting in the weather at a trotting track behind Edinburgh Air Force base.

I had planned to get it ready for the next Bay to Birdwood but my back and elbows won't permit me to swing a spanner for very long these days. My new target is 2007 B-to-B.

All the best,
    Ray

Default Oil seal

Hi,

Just be sure to check that where the spline shaft comes throught the bell housing from within the gearbox, that the surface that the rubber seal runs on, is long enough.

I have found that the 10 shaft's surface can be too short if you have to change to a later 10 bellhousing, and the oil leaks from the gearbox.

It is easy to change the shaft for one from a 12, and it ensures peace of mind.

Good luck.

Thanks Leigh,
    I dropped the engine out last weekend. It has been out before and was holding by only three tight bolts and three others which were loose. Who knows where the other bolts went? The radiator end engine mount bolts were finger tight but at least they were still there. I think the bush mechanics have been there and only tightened bolts that were easy to reach.

The input shaft is a fine spline and has a lovely ball race thrust bearing but there is an awful lot of oil spray in the bell housing. I had intended to replace the input shaft oil seal anyway but will be taking your advice and have a real good look at the input shaft oil seal and shaft seal surface to make sure they match.

Thread Information