more 16TS questions ...
  • Register
  • Help

Default more 16TS questions ...

hi everyone

i feel a bit of a goose and a tad disorganised as I meet a problem and then ask the question instead of building up a few questions and posting the one thread ... anyway, now that is off my chest ...

1. Seat Removal? the rears look okay to swap, but how the heck do i get the front buckets out?? the front phillips head screws in the runners are a piece of cake, but how to get to the rear screws??
    2. Speedo removal? well, the speedo works, but not the tripmeter or odometer ...I have the donor speedo which is fine on all counts ... is there an easy way to remove the dash cluster, swap speedos, check instrument panel bulbs - its a bit dim at night (and yes, i've found the rheostat!)
    3. the Heated Rear Window? looks cactus ... power getting through , so it looks like the element in the window has gone ... does anybody know of anyone in WA who repairs these?

thanks in anticipation ... no doubt I'll think of something just as I hit the 'submit thread' button ...

Advertisement

f.

From memory to get the front seats out I took the front screws in the runner first then took the seat as far forward as it would go and then you can just get to the back ones (Just!). From memory it was "tight" and someone may know an easier method!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackyellow
    hi everyone

i feel a bit of a goose and a tad disorganised as I meet a problem and then ask the question instead of building up a few questions and posting the one thread ... anyway, now that is off my chest ...

1. Seat Removal? the rears look okay to swap, but how the heck do i get the front buckets out?? the front phillips head screws in the runners are a piece of cake, but how to get to the rear screws??
    2. Speedo removal? well, the speedo works, but not the tripmeter or odometer ...I have the donor speedo which is fine on all counts ... is there an easy way to remove the dash cluster, swap speedos, check instrument panel bulbs - its a bit dim at night (and yes, i've found the rheostat!)
    3. the Heated Rear Window? looks cactus ... power getting through , so it looks like the element in the window has gone ... does anybody know of anyone in WA who repairs these?

thanks in anticipation ... no doubt I'll think of something just as I hit the 'submit thread' button ...

f.
    The front seats remove easily with a small drive socket ( I use 1/4 drive ) from under the seat slide at the back rather than the phillips head on top.

Access is easier , as someone has said if you slide the seat.

On a general note, I have found that a 1/4 drive socket set is worth its weight in gold. You can get to R4 fuel pumps, 16 seats, and all sorts of other inaccesable places with ease and the convenience of a rachet. Bigger is not necessarily better, particularly in sockets and rachets. They can handle the torque necessary to tighten up most things.

Dash removal is via the retaining screws behind the two switch sets. The plugs for the dash take care of the electrics easily. The last time I removed a dash I replaced all the bulbs as a precaution, only to have a new one blow within days. you can't help bad luck!
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Thread Information