What is Renault Oz doing?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
    Administrator

Default What is Renault Oz doing?

Geez, sometimes I really don't know what to think.

I have always loved Renaults and I really like most of Renault's current product line up (particuarly the Megane and Scenic range) but sometimes I really wonder what on earth their dearers are doing...

I have a female work mate who stated a few weeks ago that she was looking at buying a new car and wanted a smallish wagon type vehicle.

She is quite well off, recently recieved a substantial inheritence and was intending to pay cash.

She had test driven the Corolla Levin and the new Astra Wagon and had been given a Lancer Wagon for the weekend, none of which really appealed to her (though she was leaning towards the Corolla based on reputation)

I asked her if she had considered a new Scenic, and after showing her a few pics and reviews on the net and then explaining the many advantages of a mini MPV style vehicle she said she really liked it and that she'd pop down to the nearest dealer (which I won't name publically) for a drive.

Anyway, at work a few days ago, I asked her if she had been to the Renault dealer yet.

She said she went down and had looked right through the car and really liked the interior layout and the exterior design.

Advertisement

She said that the driving position was fantastic and it was HEAPS bigger inside than the Corolla/Astra and that the boot was a good shape for her dogs as it was tall enough for them to stand up (what ever your priorities are I suppose ) and that overall it was easily the best vehicle she had looked at in that price range.

Then I asked her how it drove and the conversation nose dived dramatically...

She said she asked the salesman for a test drive and was told that they "do not allow test drives"....

I nearly fell off my chair....

How in god's name do they expect to sell the cars?

She basically walked away rather bemused and of course is unlikely to ever go anywhere near a Renault dealer ever again.

She phoned up the Renault Help Line (the 1800 number) and they basically told her that each Renault dealer had it's own policy on test drives...

I can almost guarantee that she would've brought the thing had it driven aswell as the others. Instead I feel like a tool for even recommending a Renault.

I've tried a couple of times to Test Drive a RCS at my local dealer, but have been shown the door.
    Even after explaining to them that I was genuinely keen to purchase one. I wasn’t just there for a joy ride. I had a decent deposit to put down on one and everything.

Was quite disappointing.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Even Citroen dealers treat prospective customers with more respect.

It's absolutely disgraceful when Renault can't even matchup to Citroen dealerships
    407 3.0L Exclusive (2007)

Expert 2.0L (2009)

Laguna 2.0L dCi (2007)

Default Local Renault Management's Attitude?

I'm surprised Aus hasn't waged (weighed/raged?) in with a comment by now. She's been in the thick of it - must have a story or two. I gather that either the local dealers treat their customers with contempt or that Renault France treats the Australian market with contempt - or both!

Must think we hunt around for bargain Fuegos and free bits for them - how dare they!
    Last edited by The Gonz; 13th September 2005 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Geez, sometimes I really don't know what to think.

I have always loved Renaults and I really like most of Renault's current product line up (particuarly the Megane and Scenic range) but sometimes I really wonder what on earth their dearers are doing...

I have a female work mate who stated a few weeks ago that she was looking at buying a new car and wanted a smallish wagon type vehicle.

She is quite well off, recently recieved a substantial inheritence and was intending to pay cash.

She had test driven the Corolla Levin and the new Astra Wagon and had been given a Lancer Wagon for the weekend, none of which really appealed to her (though she was leaning towards the Corolla based on reputation)

I asked her if she had considered a new Scenic, and after showing her a few pics and reviews on the net and then explaining the many advantages of a mini MPV style vehicle she said she really liked it and that she'd pop down to the nearest dealer (which I won't name publically) for a drive.

Anyway, at work a few days ago, I asked her if she had been to the Renault dealer yet.

She said she went down and had looked right through the car and really liked the interior layout and the exterior design.

She said that the driving position was fantastic and it was HEAPS bigger inside than the Corolla/Astra and that the boot was a good shape for her dogs as it was tall enough for them to stand up (what ever your priorities are I suppose ) and that overall it was easily the best vehicle she had looked at in that price range.

Then I asked her how it drove and the conversation nose dived dramatically...

She said she asked the salesman for a test drive and was told that they "do not allow test drives"....

I nearly fell off my chair....

How in god's name do they expect to sell the cars?

She basically walked away rather bemused and of course is unlikely to ever go anywhere near a Renault dealer ever again.

She phoned up the Renault Help Line (the 1800 number) and they basically told her that each Renault dealer had it's own policy on test drives...

I can almost guarantee that she would've brought the thing had it driven aswell as the others. Instead I feel like a tool for even recommending a Renault.

That's amazing: I don't know which dealer it was but I wonder if it has anything to do with the size of there ego's.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    I'm surprised Aus hasn't waged in with a comment by now. She's been in the thick of it - must have a story or two. I gather that either the local dealers treat their customers with contempt or that Renault France treats the Australian market with contempt - or both!

Must think we hunt around for bargain Fuegos and free bits for them - how dare they!
    It is pretty sad that some dealers think that people would generally buy a vehicle without test driving it.

I'm sure that even Renault Australia would baulk at that one. It could be worth a complaint to them direct, maybe they would be in a position to out the wood on their dealerships...I mean they must have some sort of an idea how to sell cars?

I just can't understand how a dealer of bread and butter level marque like Renault could survive with such stupidty
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Icon8

grrrrrrr! stories like this make me so mad & frustrated!!!

also regretfull.....I wish I was still selling renaults, 'cause I would simply say send her down to see me Richard, & I'll make sure she gets to test drive the car enough to satisfy all her queries. As far as I know...all the renault dealerships do test drives...so I don't know what drugs that particular salesperson was on at the time ....other than that..I can't make any comment

however, If she can bare braving another dealership...I am happy to meet her there ( or prior to) & pass on some tips on how to get a good bargain & be treated with the respect that she ought to get as a genuine prospective buyer

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    If she can bare braving another dealership...I am happy to meet her there ( or prior to) & pass on some tips on how to get a good bargain & be treated with the respect that she ought to get as a genuine prospective buyer

Aus
    Australdi Have you ever thought of starting a side line business in brokering or dealing for people buying a car to get a better deal.... I have heard of this in the UK and the States but never here, maybe having been in the industry you could charge a fee based on the value or car and offer a service to get buyers a better deal ....

Maybe a side line idea????

Good idea for women or buyers who don't have the confidence

Icon14

Covert

I have toyed with the idea...but haven't really known how to begin....there is a website that brokers specifically for females...as well as quite a number of "normal" brokerages.

however...I am partial to the idea if the demand is there, as I passionately believe in a higher customer service level & professionalism in the automotive sales arena than most people seem to encounter when buying cars (esp. females) It was that passion & goal that inspired/motivated me to enter into car sales in the first place.

If I could make a difference..I would feel honoured to have the opportunity.
    especially as I am not working at the moment.

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Icon10

that's really sad, so far I haven't had a problem with Renault when I was testing cars last year. The only place I have had troubles with were subaru dealers when wanting to test a wrx.

A scenic! come on Renault Aust, can you see a lady hooning around in a scenic for a free burn.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

bloody mad... When the RX4 came out, I was on my way home from a job interview one day, so was looking respectable in my suit and dropped in to check it out. No worries with a test drive, and I had real trouble walking out without signing up for it . Very pushy sales dude which annoyed me, but I was just there for some fun

Richard - extend apologies on behalf of all Renault owners, and see if you can line up a test drive for her at another dealer. Sounds like she liked it.

More evidence for my theory that renault dealers are getting paid by VW or Toyota. I got a test drive OK but the dealership later reneged on the signed deal for the trade-in and renault took five months to deliver the car - including thinking the car was on one boat and not knowing until a week after it had docked that it wasn't. I would be very reluctant to buy this way again and couldn't recommend it to others. next time I'd use a Di-type service. Although I am not a girl! Lots of people hate dealing with car retailers - go on Di give it a go 9informally to start with, if you like)

The new scenic is a great car - see separate post, I've had mine just over a week - worth persevering with!
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

A few weeks ago I went into a Renault dealer in the inner east of Melbourne to look at the RCS, and the salesman was fine. After 20 minutes or so talking up the car, he told me he had a demo out the back which I was welcome to drive. I said I was short on time, so he said anytime I want a drive just give him a call before coming down, and he'll make sure it's available.

Sounds like this woman just copped a bad salesman. He probably thought she was a tyre-kicker so blew her off. More fool him.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The more I read about new frenchies, the more appealing 2+year old out of warranty cars are ... At least you don't need to worry about all the bullsh!t the dealers go on with

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pugrat
    Sounds like this woman just copped a bad salesman. He probably thought she was a tyre-kicker so blew her off. More fool him.
    That was my initial thought but she phoned the Renault Help line and I thought they'd be doing reverse cartwheels to remedy the situation but they basically just fobbed her off.

It's just really disappointing and a little embarrassing since I was the person that mentioned the car and took about 20 minutes to show her lots of reviews and photos from the media website detailing the interior flexibility and space.

If I got turned down for a test drive of the new Megane 225 3 door I would probably make the trip to another dealer because I like Renault's but she's not a Renault person. She was just after a nice car at the right price and she really liked the Scenic.

FWIW - She lives in the Macedon Ranges so probably travelled atleast an hour to get to the dealership. She is a mature and well presented woman who certainly doesn't fit the mould of 'tyre kicker'

Just a very dissapointing episode and a situation that I hope is only a 'one off' occurence...

1000+ Posts

yeah i had the same thing with a "VERY" large delaer in the inner burbs of Sydney...
    Booked a test drive at 4:58pm on sat, turned up 9:01am on Sunday...
    Showed up neat & tidy & with the old mans mate (car buff)...
    "oh we dont have the test drive car in"
    "i booked it last night"
    "yeah its out"
    "you just opened, where did it go?"

never went there again! bout one elsewhere a week later

Icon13

We all have horror stories around buying cars. At my last brand new purchase (last year) I went to Peugeot, Renault, BMW, Ford and Holden dealers. I found the Renault dealerS to be blase and not interested at all. They gave me a brochure, let me sit in the car and then walked off. Compare this to the Holden dealer who was polite, knowledgeable and not pushy. He had the exact car I wanted in stock (I screwed him down to fleet pricing) and held it without a contract for a month while I sold my car privately. A very pleasurable experience.
    On top of this I've had a couple of minor experiences where I needed service. For example last Friday night I had a tyre valve that was leaking. This is not a Holden warranty problem. I arrived at 9pm cos they are open till midnight, they made me a cup of tea and let me watch the footy while one of the mechanics got a new valve that he had in his personal car and fitted it.
    No guesses for why I drive a Commodore instead of a Laguna and my next new car will probably be another Holden.

As an aside I reckon the arrogant BMW dealer was even worse than the Renault dealers but thats another story.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

I am in exaclty the same boat. I will mention the Dealer. Garry and Warren Smith in Ringwood.

I went to look at RS Clio about 4 weeks back. Took my 206 GTi in. Spent a good 30 mins getting it evaluated and getting info on the Clio. I got invited for a drive by the young sales guy (not more the 21) and as we were about to leave, his manager told me I wouldn't be able to drive it unless I bout the car on the spot.

So I just walked out. I may have a RS Clio in the next few weeks, so I might take it down and show them the sale they could have had.

Dale
    Renault Fuego GTX '83 --- Gone and Missed
    Renault 16 TS '76 --- Being restored - slowly

Peugeot 206 GTi '01 SOLD

2005 Renault Sport Clio Cup

Dale 37, if you buy a RSC do that, drive up in the new car and really rub it in his face, tell him what you think, make him know he really lost a sale, that it was his lose and that he should next time trust his younger salespersons as he lost the sale.... not his staff

My Partner who drives a Golf GTI went through the same sort of treatment, she was accused of starting a price war, some dealer rung her up and abused her over the phone saying that she can't go from dealer to dealer to get a better deal, etc etc.... I mean, we were buying a car ... one salesman, older and german at one of the VW dealers gave us the talking down treatment and just did what you got, made the judgement of tyre kickers, just get rid of these timewasters....
    2 weeks later we went back with a silver GTI brand new, rubbed it in his face.... said he's lost a sale on his value judgement, made sure everyone heard and walked out very very happy...... him not so ...

So I don't think it matters about the company selling the car, just the dumb ass salesmen who have no idea...... and it only takes one to waste a dealer and their image.....

So I reckon Dale you should take that asshole down...... and make everyone in that dealer about it..... because it's the best feeling walking out of there afterwards....

don't tell the salesman, he may not be there in a couple of weeks anyway. call the dealer principal now and say what you are doing; you might get a good deal out of him if you can get to talk to him.

I went round ford/holden/jaguar/bmw dealers in sydney a couple of summers ago with my brother who was cashed up and ready to buy. First question he asked: "How long have you been here?" I was amazed at the answers, all were in weeks, and not many of them at that!

Highlight was a holden new car dealer who sent us out for a test drive in a six cylinder after we'd insisted on an 8, on return we opened the bonnet and asked if he saw anything missing, he still insisted it was a V8 till we aksed just what the V6 badge on the side of the car was doing there. Quite bizarre. (he bought a Ford. goes v fast in a straight line. fuel pump must be as powerful as the engine in my old corolla though)
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

I'm wondering how many times the salesperson actually misinterprets the genuine buyers from the "I want to take it for a drive and I have no intention of buying" people.

More than once I've read on the forum of people being pissed off with dealers not letting them take the cars for a test drive, even though they openly admit they have no intention of buying - they just want to drive the crap out of some poor test car. And then they get all whiney about not getting a go!

No doubt the sales folk are occasionally missing out on genuine sales by misreading the customers intentions. But I wonder just how many time-wasters they have to deal with.

Australdi, your experiences would be a welcome addition to this thread!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

The Renault Club of QLD has been invited to three drive nights where everyone gets to drive everything from the Clio and Kangoo to a Master van.
    They also fed us, and had lucky door prizes as well.

They also told us of some very good offers on various cars. In our club Highway Euro would account for 70% of new car sales, so this and better prices obviously works.

Ash, I am sorry you had an ordinary time from them. Maybe turn up in your G ( although they would probably think it is your Dad's car) wear your RCCQ shirt and see how you go, although I admit you should not have to try that hard to be allowed to buy a car!!!
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Fellow Frogger!

I have bought a Clio and a Megane sedan from Rex Gorrell in Geelong.( 3 years apart)

They are huge with Ford,Jag, Bmw,Mini. Landrover,Volvo,Pug,Renault, VW, Mitsubishi,Audi and Nissan franchises.

On both occasions the salesman(Two different guys)were knowlegable and really enthusiastic about the brand and got down to the business end of the deal quickly and with absolutely no crap.

It's fashionabe to bag the big dealers but they were excellent in my dealings with them.

Peter.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pclio
    I have bought a Clio and a Megane sedan from Rex Gorrell in Geelong.( 3 years apart)

They are huge with Ford,Jag, Bmw,Mini. Landrover,Volvo,Pug,Renault, VW, Mitsubishi,Audi and Nissan franchises.

On both occasions the salesman(Two different guys)were knowlegable and really enthusiastic about the brand and got down to the business end of the deal quickly and with absolutely no crap.

It's fashionabe to bag the big dealers but they were excellent in my dealings with them.

Peter.
    My father has now purchased 2 cars through them, my grandfather one, and my uncle 2or3 .... All because years ago my uncle bought a work ute through Rex Gorrell..... There service and aftersales backup has been exceptional. Basically everyone in the family drives down to Geelong to buy there cars... Sad isn't it ...

Now if we can just get them to take on Citroen

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pclio

Peter.
    Yeah, cudos to Rex Gorrell Renault from me also.

They are the only dealer I've been to where the sales staff will actually 'chat' about Renaults and seem to have a good knowledge of the range and brand.

They will let you drive the cars by yourself and aren't to pushy.

Maybe I should have sent my work mate there instead

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread Information