What is Renault Oz doing? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

When I bought my Clio I had no problem with GWS getting the test drive in fact it was brough to my door about 1/2 hour away.
    I did this because I knew the roads that I wanted to test the car on Diamond Creek to Kangaroo Ground out through the back of Hurstbridge back into the back of Diamo.
    I had no problem with the Astra turbo either but arrived for the prebooked Focus ST170 test drive to be told that it was raining and I could not take it out as it was a shownroom car!!! I tried a different dealer with no probs.
    I went to Max Kirwans in Preston also to look at a Clio in red the salesman there did not give me the time of day - maybe he thought I was just out for a hoon - with 2 kids under 5 and the wife - yeah right
    I took all 3 cars through the same "route" and the Clio blitzed them.

Advertisement
    Road car :03 Monaco Blue RCS
    Which will replace the Datsun 180B SSS track car

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by RSCLIO
    I went to Max Kirwans in Preston also to look at a Clio in red the salesman there did not give me the time of day
    hmmmmm

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Yeah, cudos to Rex Gorrell Renault from me also.Maybe I should have sent my work mate there instead
    You could do worse,the guy that I dealt with was Rick Haynes.

Peter

Tadpole

Icon7

Yeah, cudos to Rex Gorrell Renault from me also.

They are the only dealer I've been to where the sales staff will actually 'chat' about Renaults and seem to have a good knowledge of the range and brand.

They will let you drive the cars by yourself and aren't to pushy.

Maybe I should have sent my work mate there instead

Hi Peter,

My name is Rick at Rex Gorell Renault in Geelong. I have passed on all your kind words regarding the dealership. Although I am new to Renault ( 6mths) I must admit I find the range to be exciting and fun to talk about. I am always free for a chat on my new found interest.
    Hope to hear from members soon ...we need more Renaults on the road !

Rick Hynson
    Rex Gorell Renault
    Geelong

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    No doubt the sales folk are occasionally missing out on genuine sales by misreading the customers intentions. But I wonder just how many time-wasters they have to deal with.

Australdi, your experiences would be a welcome addition to this thread!
    Europa

I suppose it all comes down to perspective....of course there are people out there who want to test drive a car with no intention of buying on the day or in the near future (they are in the minority though) but as I approached the business from a long term viewpoint, I didn't see these people as "time wasters". Instead I saw an opportunity to hone my product presentation, build raport and to establish trust with someone who would one day, be in the market, or might be willing to refer people they know to me, based on their experience with me. When someone is so keen to take the time to look at a car, even when they don't need to, says that this person, as soon as they do have that need, may well make a bee-line for the consultant (and that particular species of car) that showed them respect by giving them the time of day and as much information as they wished...in otherwords...it was an investment
    From a "long term" perspective, investing is not a waste of time

being someone who doesn't look conventional myself, also makes me appreciate that "looks can be deceiving" therefore I resist the urge to judge on appearances, and instead approach every customer with the attitude of respect & service....after all that was my job! & without customers...there is no business!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

I must say congrats to rick. Nice to see a car salesman who is passionate in the brand of car they are selling. Please share some of your thoughts.

Cheers Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

hmmmmm
    I thought they may have been the one to whom you don't refer
    Probably closest to Macedon
    Road car :03 Monaco Blue RCS
    Which will replace the Datsun 180B SSS track car

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Europa

I suppose it all comes down to perspective....of course there are people out there who want to test drive a car with no intention of buying on the day or in the near future (they are in the minority though) but as I approached the business from a long term viewpoint, I didn't see these people as "time wasters". Instead I saw an opportunity to hone my product presentation, build raport and to establish trust with someone who would one day, be in the market, or might be willing to refer people they know to me, based on their experience with me. When someone is so keen to take the time to look at a car, even when they don't need to, says that this person, as soon as they do have that need, may well make a bee-line for the consultant (and that particular species of car) that showed them respect by giving them the time of day and as much information as they wished...in otherwords...it was an investment
    From a "long term" perspective, investing is not a waste of time

being someone who doesn't look conventional myself, also makes me appreciate that "looks can be deceiving" therefore I resist the urge to judge on appearances, and instead approach every customer with the attitude of respect & service....after all that was my job! & without customers...there is no business!

Aus
    spot on Di. As buyers who do we believe when looking at new cars? Not some sleazebag salesperson (whether a real sleazebag or not); we believe other owners or experts - which is why there are thousands of posts in this forum! Even if a tyrekicker is a timewaster short term, he or she has the interest and time to front up to a dealership and that person is the one you ask about cars in the tea room at work. So if you're in the business for the long term you look after people like that because sooner or later they will refer the ideal customer to you. Car sales isn't like that most of the time because staff turnover is so high, in general, more's the pity.
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Tadpole

I was with my sisters boyfriend who was looking to trade in his Corolla (now works in investments etc so has cash to burn)

Went to a BMW dealer. No sir. We do not do test drives on high performance models. Since when has the 318i been high performance?

Renault Megane 225. No test drive allowed. No way in hell is someone going to buy a car without testing it.

VW Golf GTi. Not a problem, dealer really loved them, could tell he was an enthusiast and a deposit was paid.

1000+ Posts

Default Mantra Mark two????

Quote Originally Posted by username
    VW Not a problem, dealer really loved them, could tell he was an enthusiast and a deposit was paid.
    Hullo - a Mantra mark two - Hmmmnnnnnnn. ?????????????

I agree with Di, but surely, surely the dealers must get inundated with the "lads" just trying to go for a spin - I bet the Subaru dealers would need to have a full time "car tester" person available for WRX drives if they granted a test to everyone who walked in!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Hullo - a Mantra mark two - Hmmmnnnnnnn. ?????????????
    uh? Now I'm confused.

Are you saying the new Golf GTi is a Mk 11 Opel Mantra or something?

1000+ Posts

Default Nah

Quote Originally Posted by username
    uh? Now I'm confused.

Are you saying GTi is a Mk 11 Opel Mantra or something?
    Nah! its just Dejavu!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Nah! its just Dejavu!
    Fair enough. I wouldn't have got the Golf if it was my cash. Just saying that some dealers lose customers far to easy.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by RickH
    Hi Peter,

My name is Rick at Rex Gorell Renault in Geelong. I have passed on all your kind words regarding the dealership. Although I am new to Renault ( 6mths) I must admit I find the range to be exciting and fun to talk about. I am always free for a chat on my new found interest.
    Hope to hear from members soon ...we need more Renaults on the road !

Rick Hynson
    Rex Gorell Renault
    Geelong

Perhapst I should have considered Geelong, Rick. Maybe I would have still been a Renault owner.

Tried to buy a new car at Oakleigh, where I had my Laguna serviced since they took on Renault. To my disappointment they don't bring in Lagunas anymore so I showed interest in the Megane 225. They looked at me ( I am 65) you don't want that car.
    Tried Ringwood: No interest at all. It was the second run in with them, 5 years ago after the Renault /Volvo split I approached them to service my Laguna: A big NO.
    Now after 30 years with Renault, through all the bad times since they closed down in W-Heidelberg 1982, I stuck with them. I began to love their cars when I worked there untill 82, but it came to an sudden end.
    When a salesman is not interested in selling you a car you look somewhere else and there are good cars around.
    Next week I will take delivery of a new Golf GTI. Now, the salesman at that particular dealer took his time, about 2-3 hours to discuss and answer any questions and we went for a test drive. After that I paid my deposit and waited for 3 months untill now.(The Renault dealers had me out in 5 minutes) 4 weeks ago I sold my Laguna V6 to a good home, I made sure of that. It was the end of an era, because Renault does not care about exsisting customers but spend a lot of $ to recruit new blood.
    I feel I divorced my first wife and hope the GTI will be a better partner, but it could have been a 225. Renault, get your act together!
    K.P

Quote Originally Posted by Frosch
    Tried Ringwood: No interest at all. It was the second run in with them, 5 years ago after the Renault /Volvo split I approached them to service my Laguna: A big NO.
    Well lets not tar all dealers with the same brush. Main North Renault in Adelaide have serviced my fathers 94 Laguna V6 since the Volvo/Renault split up without any question or problems.

Bad luck about the sales side though. Still the Golf GTi is a great car, and you'll probably appreciate the better build quality etc. etc.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon6

Dale34, I know who you're talking about at GWS in Ringwood. We were unimpressed with him when negotiating the purchase of our used Scenic this July. The salesman was nice enough, though seemed like he was learning a few of the rude characteristics of his boss.

There was no problem getting a drive (it was a 3 year old car after all (masquerading as a 2 year old in the ad, mind you)), but the sales manager was patronising, rude and deceptive during negotiations, right up until we had signed a deal. Now he's always polite - he must think I have no memory.

But on the subject of test drives, I know he drives the Blood Orange 225 they have there. I've seen him on the way to work in it. He may have been bringing it back from taking it to a potential customer for a drive. But to suggest the customers are the only ones who would drive a car for the sake of it, and then to be seen in a very obvious car on more than one occasion (giving it some hell on one of those occasions too), is not building one's credibility.

Take your purchase back there - he'll still be there. He is even talked up on their web site.

Tadpole

Bad luck about the sales side though. Still the Golf GTi is a great car, and you'll probably appreciate the better build quality etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

Took delivery of the GTI pocket rocket 2 days ago. After fighting with the unpredictable Laguna V6 Automatique for 10 years, I found that the DSG is in a class of its own, wow, and the GTI goes! Got rid of the habit to kick the gas pedal very qickly, that's what I had to do to make the Automatique do something.
    Should I go back to rub it in to those 2 Renault dealers, no, they are not motivated enough or I might disturb them during their lunchbreak. Besides I am having too much fun, "Aus Liebe zum Automobil". However, I do have a lot of good Renault memories, 30 years of it and maybe one day......

Bad luck about the sales side though. Still the Golf GTi is a great car, and you'll probably appreciate the better build quality etc. etc.

Took delivery of the GTI pocket rocket 2 days ago. After fighting with the unpredictable Laguna V6 Automatique for 10 years, I found that the DSG is in a class of its own, wow, and the GTI goes! Got rid of the habit to kick the gas pedal very qickly, that's what I had to do to make the Automatique do something.
    Should I go back to rub it in to those 2 Renault dealers, no, they are not motivated enough or I might disturb them during their lunchbreak. Besides I am having too much fun, "Aus Liebe zum Automobil". However, I do have a lot of good Renault memories, 30 years of it and maybe one day......[/QUOTE]

What a sad saga. Who makes that "Dejavu" anyway?

Seriously though, the current Renault range seems to me to deserve much better handling than it seems to be getting at the moment (are any Renault sales people reading?????). We haven't considered trading our Peugeot in, when I look at the comparison between what I met get as service if I were to change and what is generally available in various places in Perth. We did buy that Peugeot (in 1995 - so will be looking for a replacement in about 15 years) after comparison with a VW Golf, and the VW sales people were good, but we bought the car after comparison of specs and inspection of both (and limited test driving). I felt the car's characteristics were more important than the sales peoples' characteristics, but must admit I wasn't fobbed off to the degree described here.

JohnW

tsk tsk that's a little unfair comparing a 10-year old automatic transmission with a DSG!

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    tsk tsk that's a little unfair comparing a 10-year old automatic transmission with a DSG!
    Hmmn, wonder how a brand new Laguna V6 autobox would compare to a VW Golf GTI DSG

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Seriously though, the current Renault range seems to me to deserve much better handling than it seems to be getting at the moment (are any Renault sales people reading?????). JohnW
    It's slightly upsetting, isn't it John? A few idiots who can't do their job properly, in such a small market, could almost kill a marque in this country. So much so, that a few days ago, I went to the Renault Aus. website to email them a link to this thread (and others) with a prompt to 'read them - please...'.

Unfortunately, there was no contact email address at all. I suppose that just about sums them up.

I was surprised they didn't have a 'Don't Contact Us' link at the top of the page that you click on only for it to make a farting sound.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I've been kicking tires as I might need to replace my car come November when staff packaging comes on line. I just need to do the sums to see if trading in makes sense compared to where I am on the lease.

I like the look of the new Scenic and the C4 VTS hatch, but after hearing about the problems with dealers, I might just go test the C4 and skip Renault altogether.

I took the Golf TDI 2.0 for a spin. No problems, easy to deal with dealer. Test drive without any accompaniment. Sweet. The car is just awesome - it is faster than my old Turbo Beetle, which for a diesel is just extraordinary.

thanks,
    Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Hmmn, wonder how a brand new Laguna V6 autobox would compare to a VW Golf GTI DSG
    hehe funny man ;-)

Nothing compares with a DSG - even the forthcoming roboticised manual transmissions I don't think would be able to compare. The DSG is really a brilliant idea!

Quote Originally Posted by vanderaj
    I like the look of the new Scenic and the C4 VTS hatch, but after hearing about the problems with dealers, I might just go test the C4 and skip Renault altogether.
    So, does this mean all Melbourne Renault dealers are bad? So bad you won't even try?

Or is this yet another interloper on the Renault forum trying to stir the pot ;-)

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information