Warranty's arent all what their cracked up to be!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 Warranty's arent all what their cracked up to be!

hey everyone,
    I wrote a thread on how my 2002 Renault Clio Privlege had an transmission oil leak a couple of weeks back. My cars warranty ran out at the end of June and is now what 3 months over it. Well this is the phrase you get after it finishes " Out of warranty is out of warranty" Well after taking the car down to the Renault Service Centre they said that the leak wasn't their problem (the car was always serviced there and this problem was never picked up) and it was a "Retail Problem." Now this baffles me as to what a Retail problem is any idea's? Any how we got into contact with Renault Australia and they said that if they got a report on what was wrong with the car they might come to the party under good will. Well a few days later I tried to book the car into the service centre to have the car looked at again. They say its not their problem it would cost too much labour to find exactly where the problem is because the gearbox needs to be taken apart, the service manager rings Renault to say that its not a manufacters problem its a Retail problem, I have no idea what this is still. Renault rings me back to tell me that its not there problem anymore its a retail problem. During the conversations with Renault they have said that they don't always fix every warranty claim, but the stupid person there who i was speaking to said during the conversation that we should have got an extended warranty and then an there they've contradicted themselves saying they dont warrant everything but they would have if i had an extended warranty, its just ridiculas, she didnt have much to say after that. NRMA have said they definately would have repaired it under warranty and a leak this early in the car life is not common.

I guess why I'm so furious is that I just picked up on the problem recently and no strings can be pulled to have the problem fixed just ourside of warranty and the other thing is Tynan's Motors estimated it would cost between $1600-$2000 to repair, not that ill give them the money to fix it. Ill continue to try and get a better answer from Renault as why this cant be done but so much for customer satisfaction.

Advertisement

moosey

Yeah, they're happy to take your money for servicing but won't go into bat for you when you need them. I'm sure that the leak was there prior to the warranty running out but they didn't want to address it as they don't make anything out of the "warranty" job and it ties up their workshop for two days. "Retail" work (ie you pay them for the work, not the manufacturer) is how they make their money - this is where they stitch you up big time for a out of warranty job like yours. You're not the first person to suffer from this issue. Keep hassling Renault Australia but I think that you are going to struggle to get anything out of them.

I think you'll find the "Retail" reference is that the service department won't pick up the tab and in a round about way, they're telling the retail side to consider some form of coming to the party out of their profits on the sale.
    I'd suggest trying Collier Automaotive as they seem to have one of the best reputations for Renault (or French Car for that matter) service and ask what the problem is and what it would cost to fix.
    Armed with that, you can approach Renault Australia and see if they will do anything and if they have no regard for their brand's reputation, then try the dealer by referring him back to the original service reords.
    The big problem about buying new French cars seems to be the total lack of back up from dealers who won't stick up for their customers (but still expect loyalty from them when they buy their next car) and a lack lustre attitude from the distributors.
    One member here appears to have been shafted big time by a certain Citroen dealer down that way and had absolutely no support whatsoever from the dealer or the distributor, so it's not just a Renault thing.
    Hope you have a win, but you can bet these characters will make you work for it every step of the way.
    My attitude towards them is long live used cars and parts suppliers from overseas and will stay that way until more of them toe the line on even an average standard of service.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Default New evidence

hey thanks for the replies,
    I took my car to a local mechanic and hes found that its not a transmission leak but a leak coming from the top of the engine somewhere, somewhere on the left side up high. He also was surprised that some of the bolts around the thermostat were loose (a bit concerning). So in the end he cant source where the leak is but has determined now its from the engine somewhere and its been leaking down. Now this gives me more assurance that this slow leak has been there for quite a while, there's a fair way for the oil to travel to the ground and the rear of the engine and transmission is just caked in dirt. He will write a small report on what he thinks it is. By the way this show that when I took it into the dealer the other day they basically had a half assed look at it because they agreeed with me it was a transmission leak.

I'm going to continue to contact Renault Australia and contact Fair Trading.

The extended warranty issue is interesting.
    With the dealer I bought my Clio from as long as I contiue to get the car
    serviced there the warranty is extended to Five years for the main components,
    ie the Engine and gearbox and a few associated peripherals.
    It costs me nothing extra, as long as I keep getting the car serviced there.
    So far this is not an issue, but I'll be looking closely at those components
    as the factory warranty comes close to expiring to see if I may need to
    call in that extended warranty, ie stay with the same dealer for servicing.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

I had massive problems with my Clio from new, and I have had a lot of things replaced under warranty. My advice is go to Fair Trading, even if you don't go ahead with a complaint get their advice and then tell Renault you have contacted Fair Trading.

Then, make sure you only deal with the Customer Service Manager Vicki, and do it ALL in writing. Either by email or by writing letters.

It sucks that it has to be like this, but unfortunately Renault has very poor customer service. I've heard its not the only Euro car distributor in Australia that is ordinary to deal with though.

If you want some more details, feel free to PM me.

Anthony
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I think you'll find the "Retail" reference is that the service department won't pick up the tab and in a round about way, they're telling the retail side to consider some form of coming to the party out of their profits on the sale.
    I'd suggest trying Collier Automaotive as they seem to have one of the best reputations for Renault (or French Car for that matter) service and ask what the problem is and what it would cost to fix.
    Armed with that, you can approach Renault Australia and see if they will do anything and if they have no regard for their brand's reputation, then try the dealer by referring him back to the original service reords.
    The big problem about buying new French cars seems to be the total lack of back up from dealers who won't stick up for their customers (but still expect loyalty from them when they buy their next car) and a lack lustre attitude from the distributors.
    One member here appears to have been shafted big time by a certain Citroen dealer down that way and had absolutely no support whatsoever from the dealer or the distributor, so it's not just a Renault thing.
    Hope you have a win, but you can bet these characters will make you work for it every step of the way.
    My attitude towards them is long live used cars and parts suppliers from overseas and will stay that way until more of them toe the line on even an average standard of service.

Alan S
    I'm pretty sure that "retail" means that the customer pays, rather than "warranty" where the manufacturer pays.
    At the end of the day we're all third party to what goes on between someone here on the forum and a dealer/manufacturer and, without wanting to open "that" can of worms again, we only hear one side of the story. So I'm all for trying to help and be sympathetic, but at the end of the day you'll have to fight it out with the dealer and manufacturer concerned... so best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    I'm pretty sure that "retail" means that the customer pays, rather than "warranty" where the manufacturer pays.
    At the end of the day we're all third party to what goes on between someone here on the forum and a dealer/manufacturer and, without wanting to open "that" can of worms again, we only hear one side of the story. So I'm all for trying to help and be sympathetic, but at the end of the day you'll have to fight it out with the dealer and manufacturer concerned... so best of luck!

Obviously French car dealers use different terminology then, because when I worked in Toyota and Ford franchises, the description I gave was the accepted practice. (ie) That the retail arm of the business "may" give some consideration. Other than that, rather than play semantics, the customer was simply told "it's a non warranty job, you pay;" end of story.
    Maybe if they spelt it out loud and clear, these kinds of "misunderstandings" wouldn't occur as regularly as they do.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coolclio
    hey thanks for the replies,
    I took my car to a local mechanic and hes found that its not a transmission leak but a leak coming from the top of the engine somewhere, somewhere on the left side up high. He also was surprised that some of the bolts around the thermostat were loose (a bit concerning). So in the end he cant source where the leak is but has determined now its from the engine somewhere and its been leaking down. Now this gives me more assurance that this slow leak has been there for quite a while, there's a fair way for the oil to travel to the ground and the rear of the engine and transmission is just caked in dirt. He will write a small report on what he thinks it is. By the way this show that when I took it into the dealer the other day they basically had a half assed look at it because they agreeed with me it was a transmission leak.

I'm going to continue to contact Renault Australia and contact Fair Trading.

I'd say head gasket or rocker cover, its a COMMON issue with them, i've heard of a few "normal" clios with it & even a few RSs.

Thread Information