My new Scenic 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: My new Scenic 2

Default My new Scenic 2

I've had the new Scenic for a week and thought people might be interested in a review after it's first 1000 km.

Advertisement

It's top of the range model, factory sun roof, manual transmission.

lovely car, thoughtfully designed, well put together. Classic renault. Handling great (on Dunlop SP sport tyres, not Michelins). I'm going gently on the engine (do I need to? My last brand new car was 20 years ago and i don;t know if engines need to be run in like they used to!) but it will prove to be quite nippy, although obviously not as sporty as the Clio. Already had some fun on the 180 degree turn from hoddle St onto the eastern freeway here in melb, someone in one of those whop-whop-whop Commodores was pushing on my tail coming up hoddle st as I was sitting on the limit; I went round the tight corner brisk-ish, renault on rails of course but saw the commode's rear coming out to have a look as he tried to follow at my speed. I reckon I could have gone round another 10 ks faster, too.

Fuel consumption is better than promised already. A run to Phillip island yesterday gave me an average of 7.8 l/100 km (and that included about 50 km running round town beforehand too) compared to the sticker promise of 8. Very happy with that, especially as the engine is so new. Running around town I averaged 10.2 l/100 km on the first tankful but that incluided quite a bit of freeway work so I think it will chew more than the sticker promised in the suburbs, not suprisingly.

Getting used to the electronic toys. keycard thingy is good, as you can take it out after the engine starts so there isn't a bunch of keys swinging around the place. Automatic headlights I thought were a seriously stupid idea but I'm converted, they're great, and work well. they turn on after 3 or 4 secs of darkness so road and railway bridges don't set them off, but City Link tunnels do. Automatic wipers don't work so well, they take too long to sense that they need to operate, I wonder if the sensor can be adjusted.

Wipers themselves are a bit of a downer - I guess it's the LHD/RHD conversion but the left hand wiper slings great chunks of water right into the driver's field of vision if there's a reasonable amount of water on the screen.

with all the electronic trickery it's a pity it doesn't have the reversing sensor beeper things that are described in the handbook, I don't want to touch park my new baby! (So I have to look round instead, not a strain, but it's quite difficult to judge out the back of a mini MPV).

under the bonnet may as well have a sign saying "no user serviceable parts inside" - the bonnet covers a slot less than a foot across (and I bet there's another electronic thing that detecs a non-authorised spanner going near it that will set off a beep and report me to renault HQ )

Boot space is bigger than it looks, I was able to pack in five scouts' worth of gear from an overnight camp (with a bit of careful arranging).

So far have discovered five storage places for individual wine bottles. Love the French. Love the car too.

If anyone's interested I'll post updates as things happen and as I discover stuff. I appreciate most users of this forum may not be interested, let me know if it's a waste of space.
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Great report! I liked the look of the old Scenic. Do you have any photos of your ride?

Andrew
    2003 C3 Exclusive Panoramique auto

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    I've had the new Scenic for a week and thought people might be interested in a review after it's first 1000 km.

lovely car, thoughtfully designed, well put together. Classic renault. Handling great (on Dunlop SP sport tyres, not Michelins). I'm going gently on the engine (do I need to? My last brand new car was 20 years ago and i don;t know if engines need to be run in like they used to!) but it will prove to be quite nippy, although obviously not as sporty as the Clio. Already had some fun on the 180 degree turn from hoddle St onto the eastern freeway here in melb, someone in one of those whop-whop-whop Commodores was pushing on my tail coming up hoddle st as I was sitting on the limit; I went round the tight corner brisk-ish, renault on rails of course but saw the commode's rear coming out to have a look as he tried to follow at my speed. I reckon I could have gone round another 10 ks faster, too.

Fuel consumption is better than promised already. A run to Phillip island yesterday gave me an average of 7.8 l/100 km (and that included about 50 km running round town beforehand too) compared to the sticker promise of 8. Very happy with that, especially as the engine is so new. Running around town I averaged 10.2 l/100 km on the first tankful but that incluided quite a bit of freeway work so I think it will chew more than the sticker promised in the suburbs, not suprisingly.

Getting used to the electronic toys. keycard thingy is good, as you can take it out after the engine starts so there isn't a bunch of keys swinging around the place. Automatic headlights I thought were a seriously stupid idea but I'm converted, they're great, and work well. they turn on after 3 or 4 secs of darkness so road and railway bridges don't set them off, but City Link tunnels do. Automatic wipers don't work so well, they take too long to sense that they need to operate, I wonder if the sensor can be adjusted.

Wipers themselves are a bit of a downer - I guess it's the LHD/RHD conversion but the left hand wiper slings great chunks of water right into the driver's field of vision if there's a reasonable amount of water on the screen.

with all the electronic trickery it's a pity it doesn't have the reversing sensor beeper things that are described in the handbook, I don't want to touch park my new baby! (So I have to look round instead, not a strain, but it's quite difficult to judge out the back of a mini MPV).

under the bonnet may as well have a sign saying "no user serviceable parts inside" - the bonnet covers a slot less than a foot across (and I bet there's another electronic thing that detecs a non-authorised spanner going near it that will set off a beep and report me to renault HQ )

Boot space is bigger than it looks, I was able to pack in five scouts' worth of gear from an overnight camp (with a bit of careful arranging).

So far have discovered five storage places for individual wine bottles. Love the French. Love the car too.

If anyone's interested I'll post updates as things happen and as I discover stuff. I appreciate most users of this forum may not be interested, let me know if it's a waste of space.
    Hey for the wipers i am sure you can adujst them, its the dial on the end of the wiper stalk.

I bought one of the run out older models in Dec, the only thing wrong with it is that i wish it handeld better .... it reminds me of my dads old 16TS ...it used to get up on tippy toes an dance around the corners lol .... it would never tip over, but boy people who did not know that were scared out of their minds

If you dont mind me asking ... whats sort of dollers on the road.

I got mine for 25K, plus i added full leather for 2.5 so for 27.5 i thought it was a good deal.

Check the wippers, i am sure its like mt Clio Sport an can be fine tuned.

Congrats on the car, post some pics when u get a chance

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport
    Hey for the wipers i am sure you can adujst them, its the dial on the end of the wiper stalk.

I bought one of the run out older models in Dec, the only thing wrong with it is that i wish it handeld better .... it reminds me of my dads old 16TS ...it used to get up on tippy toes an dance around the corners lol .... it would never tip over, but boy people who did not know that were scared out of their minds

If you dont mind me asking ... whats sort of dollers on the road.

I got mine for 25K, plus i added full leather for 2.5 so for 27.5 i thought it was a good deal.

Check the wippers, i am sure its like mt Clio Sport an can be fine tuned.

Congrats on the car, post some pics when u get a chance
    I can adjust the wipers in manual mode but there is a clever bit of electronics that is supposed to alter the speed of the intermittent wipe depending on the amount of water on the windscreen. There is some sort of metallic coating on the windscreen to facilitate this which has the added bonus of being opaque to CityLink e-tags (they just note it on the account and it doesn't cost me any more; they just photograph the number plate and charge teh account. you'll see me slipstreaming tall trucks at the toll gantries to save a dollar...)

more on handling: steering is light, very light compared to my Clio, but is actually surprisingly responsive. no tippy toes stuff, suspension is pretty firm.

you got a v good deal on the old model. renault Aust were worried that with a $10K price rise they wouldn't sell many of teh new one but they can't keep up with demand (so they say). RRP of mine (which was one with teh lot - dynamique I think is the sillly name they give it) was $39750; I added tow bar (a few hundred) and sun roof ($2K; glass non retractable roof over the rear seats, standard retractable glass roof over front) $40K exactly after a quick haggle. I've got a full price list somewhere, want me to post it up?
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Default pix

here are some pix (pinched off the web) - that red is a lovely colour and is the one we've got. wheels are slightly different, spokes are a bit thicker. teh sun roof is fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Scenic 2-scenic2004.jpg   My new Scenic 2-images.jpg  
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Nice report Colin, glad to hear your enjoying the new car.
    Keep 'em coming.

Oh the auto wipers? I thought that the sensitivity could be
    altered via that ring on the wiper controller but if it does
    then not by much. Still I use it all the time unless its just
    pelting down then I will switch it over to full time as a
    pause at the wrong time in pouring rain can be annoying.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

I can adjust the wipers in manual mode but there is a clever bit of electronics that is supposed to alter the speed of the intermittent wipe depending on the amount of water on the windscreen. There is some sort of metallic coating on the windscreen to facilitate this which has the added bonus of being opaque to CityLink e-tags (they just note it on the account and it doesn't cost me any more; they just photograph the number plate and charge teh account. you'll see me slipstreaming tall trucks at the toll gantries to save a dollar...)
    I was under the impression that the windscreen water sensor was a little square box above the rear vision mirror, but that may have changed.

I think the e-tags can be placed in special sections of the screen which doesn't have the UV coating, on Dad's Kangoo there is a spot next to the rear vision mirror and I think one down the bottom of the screen.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    I was under the impression that the windscreen water sensor was a little square box above the rear vision mirror, but that may have changed.

I think the e-tags can be placed in special sections of the screen which doesn't have the UV coating, on Dad's Kangoo there is a spot next to the rear vision mirror and I think one down the bottom of the screen.
    Yep, the wiper sensor is in front of the rear view mirror.
    The Clios clear spot is at the centre/bottom of the screen, probably where
    the Scenics is also, but its covered by the wipers which may effect the etag
    reader????

Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

The E-Tag works fine there even though its covered by the wiper.

Looks good in the red Colin, the Scenic II definitely looks great for a family car. If I had kids I would be buying one for sure
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

Fellow Frogger!

This might help

Believe me, you can load up a Scénic with a huge amount of stuff. I've just moved house and had to buy new furniture for here and there and really had a chance to load up our 02 model. I've found, with having a car seat in the back, choice of side for it is key. If you dont need that in there, then only taking the seat behind the driver's one is a good way to get the front passenger in the back and have a whole lot of long stuff on the folded down front seat through to the rear hatch. Love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Scenic 2-5005_bd_ren2003scenic061.jpg  
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Tadpole

Default Wonderful... if only....

Great flexibility...
    ...if only the set of golf clubs fitted sideways

I'm going gently on the engine (do I need to? My last brand new car was 20 years ago and i don;t know if engines need to be run in like they used to!).
    The best thing you can do for the car is to actually rev it out a little when the engine is warm, so the rings bed in - you want good compression. Don't thrash it ridiculously, but babying it too much is bad IMHO - you must ensure the engine is warm though.

Search for running in topics - here is a good site. Ignore the garish design, there is merit in what he says.

Running around town I averaged 10.2 l/100 km on the first tankful but that incluided quite a bit of freeway work so I think it will chew more than the sticker promised in the suburbs, not suprisingly.
    According to a fleet study, you can expect on average to achieve 15% higher fuel consumption than book figures on the city cycle, 34% for the highway cycle (the highway cycle speeds are too low to be representative of most country driving).

Keep us up to date - noone's forced to read a thread

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Colin

welcome to aussiefrogs. Im glad to hear you love the scenic. Im hiring one by the looks of it at xmas time in france. It will be a 1.6 automatic.
    Ill let you how it is after the 2 weeks i live with it. Glad your happy. Put up some real pics of it.

Tadpole

Icon7

Great report,

I am new to Renault and am working as a Renault salesman. As a result I was given the keys (card) to a new scenic Expression in Flame red 6 speed.
    Now some 14,000 kms later I must admit that the new Scenic is the most practical and well thought out cars on the road today. Every part of the car has a purpose.
    I believe there would be a lot more Renault's on the road today if only more people knew they exist.
    Dollar for Dollar they are exceptional value for money.
    I dont know what car I will have next but will be sad to see the Scenic taken from the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by RickH
    Great report,

I am new to Renault and am working as a Renault salesman. As a result I was given the keys (card) to a new scenic Expression in Flame red 6 speed.
    Now some 14,000 kms later I must admit that the new Scenic is the most practical and well thought out cars on the road today. Every part of the car has a purpose.
    I believe there would be a lot more Renault's on the road today if only more people knew they exist.
    Dollar for Dollar they are exceptional value for money.
    I dont know what car I will have next but will be sad to see the Scenic taken from the garage.
    I'll look out for you as i go through Geelong...

fuel consumption continues to be amazing. have done better than the advertised 8 l /100 km on every country run I've done, including towing a trailer (not much load on, admittedly) from Colac to Apollo bay and back. And only 2000 km on the clock so far. On a trailer-less trip through the winding Otway hills I caught up with a rather surprised chap in a Falcon XR8, (why do they have spoilers on the back i wonder? to keep the beer cans off the duco at BBQs?) Anyway he kindly let me overtake him on one of the very rare straight bits and three corners later I'd lost him - brilliant roadholding and I wasn't even pushing it to the limit (and still did better than 8 l/100km on that trip too)
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Default some pix at last

see, it's not just for posing around the suburbs, it can get a bit muddy too, and it just LOVES those winding hilly roads! Not as sporty as the Clio of course, duh, but a comfortable, brisk, enjoyable drive. and lots of electronic toys to play with on the boring straight bits. A couple of ratlles from teh rear passenger seat area are annoying but I think i can isolate them. Still love it, one month (and 3500 km) down the track
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Scenic 2-scenic-001compressed.jpg   My new Scenic 2-scenic-003compressed.jpg   My new Scenic 2-scenic-004compressed.jpg  
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

hey why do people bother to blank out number plates when posting car pix? I've not bothered, is there something I should know?
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

hey why do people bother to blank out number plates when posting car pix? I've not bothered, is there something I should know?
    Its just a privacy thing. One car club I belonged to was sent a letter by the
    Polizia asking for a list of all the members and the rego numbers of their
    cars. We declined the request on privacy grounds, but suspected the cops
    were seeing the club sticker on one too many cars being booked for speeding.

Fast forward 20 years and law enforcement is more sophisticated as are
    car thieves......

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Great looking pictures colin looks like your loving the car. Love the mud look also. Keep in touch with us all and let us know how its going. Who owns the CLio in the 1st picture?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Who owns the CLio in the 1st picture?
    Me!...
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Yeh - Daniel, Colins signature sort of gave that away I thought...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    Its just a privacy thing. One car club I belonged to was sent a letter by the
    Polizia asking for a list of all the members and the rego numbers of their
    cars. We declined the request on privacy grounds, but suspected the cops
    were seeing the club sticker on one too many cars being booked for speeding.

Fast forward 20 years and law enforcement is more sophisticated as are
    car thieves......

cheers,
    and then there's this - technology may be sophisticated, hoons less so, it seems

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...401353509.html
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

and then there's this - technology may be sophisticated, hoons less so, it seems

Serves the idiot right

Its a wonder the neighbours put up with it for three whole minutes.
    I hear a fool like that in my street and I'm out the front looking for
    their number plate. I have a primary school across the street
    plus there are lots of little kids living and playing in what is normally
    a very quiet street.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

the actual clip was shown on ABC's media watch last night because Channel 9's A Current Affair showed it during the week and said it was in Sydney, despite the Kiwi number plates and advertising signs. despite the TV station's lying about the location it was a pretty horrifying thing to watch, completely out of control, they should have gone to jail and it adds weight to those who seek to ban high performance cars, or at least demand special licences for them. Idiots.
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

or at least demand special licences for them. Idiots.
    Or make full-comprehensive insurance mandatory, and in the case of young Rex/S15/200SX/Skylines/etc owners double, tripple, or quadruple it.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Page 1 of 2 12 Last