Any Kiwi R21 turbo's?
  • Register
  • Help

Any Kiwi R21 turbo's?

Can someone tell me if the Renault 21 turbo's were imported to New Zealand? (1995cc turbo J7R)

Any info much appreciated

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey there,

yup, I know of a couple at least that are cruising around Auckland. One of them I know for sure was sold here new, as the guy that owns it new drove it for a road test in the early nineties (as a new car) and he bought that same car last year. He has owned various tweaked fuegos 18's etc and he reckons this wipes the floor with them- he may post on this site- you never know.

Cheers Ben

ps I heard there was one being wrecked in AK too late last year.....imagine that in a 12!!!

So are there regularly R21T for sale in the papers etc? The reason why i want to know is that i was looking to import one of the 130kw turb engines and make an engine transplant on my Fuego and i'd think it would be cheaper to bring it over from N.Z instead of U.K or Japan. Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to bring a whole car from N.Z to Australia?

Thanx

Oi man that conversion would be killer.

130kw in a Fuego, ought ta give ya a bit of respect on the streets.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Fellow Frogger!
    Did any of you guys see Performance GTi magazine??
    There was a feature in one edition one two R21 turbos. If your interested I can scan the article and send it to ya.
    I haven't seen any 21 turbo's in NZ, seen some 21s and a real nice yellow 19 coupe. How do you tell the 21s from the turbos??
    Izza

By looking at the driver!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey,
    no they are still fairly rare- that one I heard about was at Wayne Earl Automotive in Avondale- Auckland. I think he was asking around $2k for all the running gear- actually thats a guess I'd pay no more than $1k for a really strong motor- I mean why bother when fuego turbo and 18 turbo motors (which bolt STRAIGHT IN!)can be had for $150 (incl gearbox, and all ancillaries!)

My 18 has had minimum mods and I reckon (seat of the pants admittedly) that it puts out around 160 hp now. With these motors there is no reason why a reliable 200hp isn't within reach.

One thing I haven't enquired about is the price of bits to recondition either of these motors- that may make your decision for you as well.

hope that helps.....

Ben
    ps I am not sure how you tell them apart- best people to ask would be on that 21 turbo site in the UK. The ones I have seen have sort of a late 80's early 90's body kit- i,e lots of st edges and no big spoilers or anything- also fairly plain mag wheels too.

Hey Ben

$150 for a R18 turbo Donk and gearbox ? Thats pretty dam good, I'd say it'd proberley need rebuilding, but still.
    Is there many getting round though ? When I was there I did'nt see any R18s let alone turbo ones. If there quite common, I'm gonna look into getting one.
    What do you reckon it would cost to bring one over to Aussie ?
    Are they a 1647cc engine ? or are they 1565cc ?
    they come with a 5 speed too dont they ?

Should just bolt into a R17 should'nt it ?

Regards Ash
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Ash,
    yup they will need rebuilding- but if you are gonna go the hassle of putting a different motor/box in then that should be done anyway.

They are a 1565cc and essentially the same as the 'normal'R17 motor. There are a number of them around in NZ, it's really a question of getting hold of one and getting it over there I guess. The engine mounts should bolt straight up, but you'll need the shortened driveshafts like I got from Dave Cavanagh- unless you got the el-cheapo route and chop them and weld them.

From what I have now done- I would think that you could do this conversion for less than $1000 if you had all the 18 turbo motor and box bits (including linkages) and this would include recoíng it (as long as bits are reasonably priced).

If you want to know more drop me a line.

Cheers Ben

Default Old R21 Turbo ad in NZ

Just saw this ad, thought it may interest some people, don't know how old it is, but it's interesting all the same, 12 Renault 21 Turbo's, I wonder if some are still there????

http://classiccarfair.com/sold8.htm
    RENAULT 21 TURBO - SOLD
    The world's fastest 2-litre [0-100 7.2 secs, 228kmh] and cost just on $80,000 in 1989. Garrett T3 turbo, 2 intercoolers, fwd. Black, black leather, 85km, one fanatic owner, complete records of every trip and expenditure, never smoked in, roof, ABS, a/c, cd. One of only 12 in NZ. $16,000.

Were all R21T's Quadras or was the Quadra a seperate model?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

As far as I know the R21T Quadra was the High End model, seperate to 21T, it was 4WD and I suppose what you could say saw it was a French WRX, if that is the right sort of discription, but I think they were exclusive and high end machines for their time...... check out
    http://www.renault21turbo.com/

Check out their forum, there are machines like this one for sale..... sounds cheapish

im placing this on here for a member that does not have website access
    H reg quadra for sale £1500 ono
    taxed untill end march 2006
    mot 5th october 2006
    83,000 miles
    many new parts
    sub frame and bushes front headlights front indicators front fogs lights re-con gear box
    genuine clutch cam belt and pulley RHF ABS\sensor plugs magnecore leads induction hose bailey dumpvalve CAT2 immobiliser headlight eyebrows front bumper and nosecose repainted radiator intsrument cluster (1400 miles on it) still has original
    down pipe front discs and pads read discs and pads 16" OZ 21spoke alloys bridgestone 205/50/16 tyres

the car is in very good condition and is only being sold due to change in financial circumstances the only possible faults,a slight bearing noise on the diff, and sunroof is stiff

car is located in southampton UK please dont ask any questions here as you wont get a reply
    please contact phil dalton on 02380 668863 mobile 07789638450

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    Were all R21T's Quadras or was the Quadra a seperate model?
    Last edited by Covert; 18th March 2006 at 09:49 PM.

Thread Information