Wheel Balance
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wheel Balance

Wheel Balance

I went to buy a couple of front tyres for my R25 the other day, but the guys at the tyre shop claimed they were unable to balance the wheels as there is no hole in the centre of the wheel.

Advertisement

Is this for real? The guy said I would need to get an 'on-car' balance, which can only be done at a place especially set up to do it (sounds expensive, too!)

Anyone have any advice on getting a balance done?

Thanks,
    Skip.

Tadpole
    You can balance wheels (R25, Fuego, R12 etc) without a centre hole off the car, but the tyre place needs a tool (essentially a plate with three or four adjustable studs on it) for the balancing machine.

Its worth calling up a few places to see who has one in your area, as they seem to be getting scarce.

Rob

I was worried about that when I owned my R12 and could never find a place to do them?

Hi

It is true, the car place needs the special jig, but you should be able to find a decent tyre/balancing company that has one. We have 2 places that I know of in Canberra!
    On car balances are not too dear, however I went to get my car done and they would only do the rear wheels on my R25 as it is an auto! It was better than nothing, but still not perfect.

You could buy a set of after market alloys, then your problem will be solved too. I did that on my first R25. I am now back to the original alloys though (3rd R25). I will get after markets one day, but I must wait for the money fairy to drop a stash down my chimney!

Hope this helps.

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

A tyre place once told me that a lot of these places are just lazy - too lazy to bolt on the adapter plate that is required.

They even used to be able to balance my R16 rims - but then they got a new balancing machine, and it didn't have a "3-stud" adapter

They could have bought one, but I was their only "3-stud" customer, so they werent too keen. I'm assuming these things cost more than they are worth!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

COL
    Hi all,

I have found Bob Jane Tyre centres have this adapter plate. If these places don't have such a plate they are not worth going to as there are a few other vehicles that require such a plate because they don't have a centre hole or the centre hole is to large for the machine.

Regards Col.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Skippy,
    Accurate Suspension at Woodridge has an adapter that I have used. The no. is 38082878
    Alan.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Some Firestone branches also have the adaptor. Often they are helpful enough to ring around their branches if they don't happen to have one. Laziness is indeed a problem with others. Whatever - DON'T let them try and hammer lead weights on! (As I intercepted one clown trying to do!) Has to be the stick-on variety - on the inside of the wheel.....
    Paul

Thread Information