R12 Advice Sought From Sandgropers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Q98
    Tadpole

Icon5 R12 Advice Sought From Sandgropers

G'day all
    Purchased a 1976 R12 Virage today (Sun, 11 Sept) in good condition [came with spare engine & gearbox]. Seeking advice on retailers (Coventrys or similar) which sell tune-up and service components; ie. radiator/heater hoses, thermostat & gasket, sump plug & gasket, oil & air filters, plugs, points, etc. There's nothing major wrong with the vehicle - I'm simply a firm believer in preventative maintenance. Live south of the river.

Any hints/tips would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Advertisement

Congrats on the new car, and welcome to Aussiefrogs.My hint/tip, would be to by a haynes manual, and try doing those jobs youself.If you get in a bother,there are no shortage of Guru-experts here ready to help out with advice.Parts can be ordered from Melbourn,and if parts aren't available new, there always seems to be someone at this forum who has a wreck down the back,who wouldn't mind helping out.
    On the other side of the coin, If you did nothing,ever, your car would probably still run on and on and on.I would rate the R12 as one of the most hardy cars I've ever owned.One old clapped out wagon,which I used for towing my runabout,with over 300K on the clock had first and second gear go, but I still did hundreds of K's with just 3,4 and reverse.Had to loose the boat,of course.Hopefully,yours wont get this neglected, but its worth knowing that it'll always get you home.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Q98
    G'day all
    Purchased a 1976 R12 Virage today (Sun, 11 Sept) in good condition [came with spare engine & gearbox]. Seeking advice on retailers (Coventrys or similar) which sell tune-up and service components; ie. radiator/heater hoses, thermostat & gasket, sump plug & gasket, oil & air filters, plugs, points, etc. There's nothing major wrong with the vehicle - I'm simply a firm believer in preventative maintenance. Live south of the river.

Many thanks.
    Why not PM Stuey he is over there and would know where to go
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Q98
    Tadpole

Icon12 Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    Why not PM Stuey he is over there and would know where to go
    Brand new to "aussiefrogs" and still finding my way around. Lived in Lambrigg Street, Farrer for six years.

Tks for info.

G'day all

Many thanks.
    When we had our Virage it didn't need much but Caravelle in Melbourne can get things over to us in a day or so. I guess Renwreck stock some of the things you listed.

Then Stuey may have other local advice too.

Hope you enjoy it - much under-rated cars, Renault 12s.

JohnW

Q98
    Tadpole

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    When we had our Virage it didn't need much but Caravelle in Melbourne can get things over to us in a day or so. I guess Renwreck stock some of the things you listed.

Then Stuey may have other local advice too.

Hope you enjoy it - much under-rated cars, Renault 12s.

JohnW
    Many thanks JohnW
    I located some info on this website and have also located a manual in a garage sale this afternoon! Can you believe that? Does the car have any little "vices" or "quirks" that only Renault owners would know of? Indeed, any info you care to pass on would be gratefully received.

A Renault 12 is about as vice and quirk free as a Renault gets. Apart from rust, there is nothing really outstanding to think of. As it is a 1.4 it will have the larger clutch, so likely a long life there (100,000km's plus if not abused). The engines generally go for about 180-200,000+km's before needing a rebuild.

Check for the usual worn driveshaft noises (original equipment ones generally last 160,000+ km's) of clicking on full lock, also check that the rubber boots on the driveshaft are not torn.

Probably about the only vice is that the gearbox drips oil from where the driveshafts go into the gearbox, usually not a lot, just enough to spot the driveway. Also the Ducellier distributor can suffer from problems with the internals, but those are likely to have been fixed by now, or it has been replaced by a Bosch one.

Generally if the car is regularly serviced, oil and filter every 5000k's, coolant change every 18 months, gearbox oil change every 25,000k's, it will have a long and reliable life if it hasn't been abused in a past life. If the car is fussy starting in cold damp weather change the plugs and points, check the distributor cap for excessive wear or tracking (replace if needed) and that usually fixes it.

Many thanks JohnW
    I located some info on this website and have also located a manual in a garage sale this afternoon! Can you believe that? Does the car have any little "vices" or "quirks" that only Renault owners would know of? Indeed, any info you care to pass on would be gratefully received.
    It's been a long time since I owned a R12, but I seem to remember rust in the vent box below the screen,and around the rear wheel arches,and at the bottom of the front guards.check that the drains are not blocked with leaves and soot. Good score with the garage sale.I picked up an inlet manifold for twin sidedrafts once at a garage sale.Sounds like you have the type of cunning requires to enjoy this car for many years.
    Jo

Q98
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    A Renault 12 is about as vice and quirk free as a Renault gets. Apart from rust, there is nothing really outstanding to think of. As it is a 1.4 it will have the larger clutch, so likely a long life there (100,000km's plus if not abused). The engines generally go for about 180-200,000+km's before needing a rebuild.

Check for the usual worn driveshaft noises (original equipment ones generally last 160,000+ km's) of clicking on full lock, also check that the rubber boots on the driveshaft are not torn.

Probably about the only vice is that the gearbox drips oil from where the driveshafts go into the gearbox, usually not a lot, just enough to spot the driveway. Also the Ducellier distributor can suffer from problems with the internals, but those are likely to have been fixed by now, or it has been replaced by a Bosch one.

Generally if the car is regularly serviced, oil and filter every 5000k's, coolant change every 18 months, gearbox oil change every 25,000k's, it will have a long and reliable life if it hasn't been abused in a past life. If the car is fussy starting in cold damp weather change the plugs and points, check the distributor cap for excessive wear or tracking (replace if needed) and that usually fixes it.
    Simon
    Many thanks for your advice and tips. I can see I'm going to enjoy this
    website with many helpful folk like yourself available to help.

Q98

Default Reno 12 freak

[QUOTE=Q98]G'day all
    Howdy I also have just purchased another Reno 12. This time a wagon. $400 I intend to enter it in another outback rally organised by The Rotary Club of Regency Park. Last year I took a little 12 sedan and it purred all the way to Birdsville and back without too much trouible. 2 holes in the petrol tank and dropped the exhaust once. (broken rear bracket) I hope photo enclosed. Parts try ASV in Perth. I have many extra free parts E Mail me on [email protected] if I can help. I also have a Peug 403 and cannot make up my mind which car to take next year on the rally. Its though Broken Hill to Q NSW and SA border corner back down the Stezlecki. I have fitted a temp gauge, a petrol tank shield, heavy rear coils and an electric standby fuel pump. Happy motoring. Regards Ken Adams. ps can't find out how to send photo, send me your address and I will forward seperately.

Q98
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    It's been a long time since I owned a R12, but I seem to remember rust in the vent box below the screen,and around the rear wheel arches,and at the bottom of the front guards.check that the drains are not blocked with leaves and soot. Good score with the garage sale.I picked up an inlet manifold for twin sidedrafts once at a garage sale.Sounds like you have the type of cunning requires to enjoy this car for many years.
    Jo
    Jo
    Thanks again mate - hope I'm "replying" in the correct manner. I'm 56 this Thursday (15 Sep) and am new to computers. Only got this one to help my daughter through Uni - she's now graduated and working as a Stockbroker!
    "Type of cunning"? Dunno know about that - I'm Scottish born and bred but lived in Oz more years than I lived there and served 20 plus years in the RAAF!

Q98
    Tadpole

[QUOTE=Ken Adams]
    G'day all
    Howdy I also have just purchased another Reno 12. This time a wagon. $400 I intend to enter it in another outback rally organised by The Rotary Club of Regency Park. Last year I took a little 12 sedan and it purred all the way to Birdsville and back without too much trouible. 2 holes in the petrol tank and dropped the exhaust once. (broken rear bracket) I hope photo enclosed. Parts try ASV in Perth. I have many extra free parts E Mail me on [email protected] if I can help. I also have a Peug 403 and cannot make up my mind which car to take next year on the rally. Its though Broken Hill to Q NSW and SA border corner back down the Stezlecki. I have fitted a temp gauge, a petrol tank shield, heavy rear coils and an electric standby fuel pump. Happy motoring. Regards Ken Adams. ps can't find out how to send photo, send me your address and I will forward seperately.
    Ken
    Many thanks for your advice and offer of free parts. May I say that I will only contact you if all else fails and postage costs, etc. will be met. Last club I belonged to was a motor-cycle club (not bikies) back in my teens (almost 40 years ago) and I had forgotten the camaraderie found in clubs - thanks again Ken. If ever I can be of assistance to you; eg. parts available only from WA , please contact me.

[QUOTE=Q98]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Adams

Ken
    Many thanks for your advice and offer of free parts. May I say that I will only contact you if all else fails and postage costs, etc. will be met. Last club I belonged to was a motor-cycle club (not bikies) back in my teens (almost 40 years ago) and I had forgotten the camaraderie found in clubs - thanks again Ken. If ever I can be of assistance to you; eg. parts available only from WA , please contact me.
    Off to a good start I'd say. Enjoy the car and you now know that questions will be answered!

The only bad design issue I ever had with a 12 was the door lock mechanisms, which eventually bend and need replacing. Not a difficult job once you've found one.

Cheers

JohnW

1000+ Posts

Hi there Q,

I get all of my consumables from Caravelle in Melbourne. They are dead reliable and quick, and if you order before 10am one day, you'll usually receive the gear by the next day. Fabulous service, and honest. The postage isn't too bad, either, and Ken knows the cars inside out so you can't go wrong. Mail order isn't as bad as it sounds, trust me! I've been dealing with them for 13 years...

Edit: (03) 9890 9061 is their number.

Cheers

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 13th September 2005 at 12:35 AM.

Q98
    Tadpole

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Hi there Q,

I get all of my consumables from Caravelle in Melbourne. They are dead reliable and quick, and if you order before 10am one day, you'll usually receive the gear by the next day. Fabulous service, and honest. The postage isn't too bad, either, and Ken knows the cars inside out so you can't go wrong. Mail order isn't as bad as it sounds, trust me! I've been dealing with them for 13 years...

Edit: (03) 9890 9061 is their number.

Cheers

Stuey
    Caravelle come highly recommended then Stuey? Good enough for me then!
    Noticed on an earlier post that you were Scottish (I recall someone addressed you in a Irish accent). Wha're i' ye frae ya big tumshie? Myself, I'm a Saltcoats (Ayrshire) boy!

1000+ Posts

Ahh...really I barely qualify as a Scot. I'm from Aberdeen, but have been here since I was 3 years of age. I still have many relatives over there, though. I was brought up for years in country WA, so that makes you pretty well an Aussie quick smart. I have no Scot accent or anything.

You won't get a better mob than Caravelle, trust me. Other than our own Dave Cavanagh also from Melbourne who runs French Connection.
    Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default welcome!

hi Q98
    you won't find a better forum ... i have a Virage (thanks JohnW!), and it runs like a charm .. would have loved one brand new ...
    i'm down in Hilton, so if you see an emerald green Virage wagon or a poobrown 16TS circulating around Freo, make sure to wave!
    cheers frank

Jo
    Thanks again mate - hope I'm "replying" in the correct manner. I'm 56 this Thursday (15 Sep) and am new to computers. Only got this one to help my daughter through Uni - she's now graduated and working as a Stockbroker!
    "Type of cunning"? Dunno know about that - I'm Scottish born and bred but lived in Oz more years than I lived there and served 20 plus years in the RAAF!
    Dont worry too much about correctness in this forum,Q98.If you do something irregular, you will be made awear of the fact almost instantly,and as long as you have a thickish skin,there will be no problems.I totally agree with post about caravelle.Orderd a part 2 days ago ,and two hours later remembered another part, phoned through, and the new part was added without fuss. Both parts arrived the next day.Another great thing about caravelle is if you ask for a black thingy thats attatched to the whatsimacallit, they will know exactly what thingy it is you want.Legends!!
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Jo, I don't know what you mean about being made a aware of the fact almost instantly. Oh, and you spelled 'ordered' incorrectly...

Frank, my brother lives in Hilton. I'll look out for your cars when I'm down there.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default R 12 reliability

Hi...the R12 nice choice....I had 4 of these and a wreck...had a huge addiction...we bought the wagon first 1977 model...had a hard clutch cable...turned out that it needed a bit of lubricating and slight bend in it...I bought the 2nd car for spares it was a 1973, that had sat in a paddock for ages...put a battery in it and it never stopped...decided to sell and get a later model to match the 77...as the dashboards in the 73...apparently not as good as the later mods..deteriated from the sun...only rust i experienced in all 5 cars was in the doors...and we lived 40 mts from the beach...unreal gearbox for hill drives..great on petrol..i have owned many cars in the last 30 years and the R12 gets my vote as the most reliable and tuff..i got parts thru Ken at Caravelle...as i lived in SA..and they were there before you could say..Holden Camira.......Had one of the R12 wagons with a gremlin...but it was in winter and the guy i bought the wagon off, had cut the airfilter metal holder up with a heating element missing from inside....controling icing of the carby ?? Something like that...cos i kept stopping after 20 mins or so..and it would restart after half hour..which was plenty of lip from the lads at work...who disliked french cars..but as i would say as i lifted the bonnet.. i am pulling it apart to find out why it runs so well...Great vehicle...

1000+ Posts

Yep, Steve, you'll see a lot of similar thoughts expressed on this forum. Mine has never had anything go wrong - pretty good for a car that's almost clicking over 1/2 a million kilometres. Brilliant car.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default mighty R12

Even though I'm a total fuego nut, If I had to drive one car around the world, It would be a R12.I have never had a car that was so incredably resilient.My wagon was the tow car for my runabout, probably weighing in at about 4-500Kg,and it had a bad clutch!!.If you rode the clutch too much, it would almost entirely stop engaging,so to pull the boat up the ramp,I'd just drop the clutch at 4000 RPM, and gracefully wheelspin my way up the wet ramp.Was particularly effective at low tide, when it would 'cut' a path through the moss, and avoid going backwards.I dont think the other ramp users were particularly impresed by the shower of muck on their shiny land cruisers and matching boats, but it would give me a giggle or two.
    JO

Q98
    Tadpole

Icon5

Caravelle come highly recommended then Stuey? Good enough for me then!
    Noticed on an earlier post that you were Scottish (I recall someone addressed you in a Irish accent). Wha're i' ye frae ya big tumshie? Myself, I'm a Saltcoats (Ayrshire) boy!

Stuey

Now due two new tyres on front on my R12 and have been advised that not all
    tyre fitting centres have the correct "spline" for Renault wheels. Where do you go for tyres/balancing?

Q98

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey

You won't get a better mob than Caravelle, trust me. Other than our own Dave Cavanagh also from Melbourne who runs French Connection.
    Stuey
    Thanks Stuey I was wondering when someone would remember me.
    I have another Virage wagon coming in this week to be wrecked, it's hit in the back LH 1/4 but is still drivable.

David.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh
    Thanks Stuey I was wondering when someone would remember me.
    I have another Virage wagon coming in this week to be wrecked, it's hit in the back LH 1/4 but is still drivable.

David.
    Hi David,

The virage engine arrived OK thankyou, and hopefully I'll start the swapover this weekend.

I'll take the front & rear seats & carpet if they are good, and also the instrument cluster if OK. Plus the radiator & top hose if it is the original large Virage one & OK. Also, does it have a good LH door rear vision mirror - scraped mine off on a tree branch. I'd be interested in the spare wheel cover as well if good, and the floor of the back section that covers the petrol tank & the fold down section that bridges between the rear section and the rear seat when folded down. Also the filler spout + associated bits for the petrol tank (if not damaged in the bingle) - some idiot stuffed the rim of my filler removing the cap trying to nick petrol. And rear springs. The parcel shelf and glovebox assembly too if good - usually aren't, esp where the top of the glovebox screws onto the dash.

What colour is it - mines a creamish colour I think but I'm colour blind (I'll get back to you with the colour code if I can find it). If the RH front mudguard is the right colour & OK, I'll take that.

Sorry its not an orderly list. PM me what is available & cost. I'll be in Melbourne some time in the near future so can collect.

I'll PM you with a want list of R25 stuff - should have done it earlier.

Cheers,
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information