My new R16, but where to from here?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My new R16, but where to from here?

Default My new R16, but where to from here?

Ahoyhoy,
    I have recently becom the proud owner of a wonderful renault 16TS (mod r1151).
    Everything about the car is clean with an immaculate interior, and very reasanable motor with low kms, and only a couple of small minor rust issues which can be massaged out without too much work.
    My question concerns two things.

1. Since the car will go straight onto historic rego, what kind of modifications to the engine can I do that would be regarded as an option at the time of sale, for example I have heard the TS motor could be fitted with a side-draught WEBER carb (model 40-DCOE 8 ????) and different manifolds, and does anyone have any such parts they are willing to part with?

2. In order to colour over the repairs to the rust I need to get hold of some paint, it is yellow, but which one? The 16's were made with either "Lemon yellow 301" or what i understand to be a colour limited to australian vehicles "Trak yellow", but which is mine? does anyone know where I could get hold of such paint, or get it mixed in adelaide?

Thanks everyone,

Advertisement

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by julian
    2. In order to colour over the repairs to the rust I need to get hold of some paint, it is yellow, but which one? The 16's were made with either "Lemon yellow 301" or what i understand to be a colour limited to australian vehicles "Trak yellow", but which is mine? does anyone know where I could get hold of such paint, or get it mixed in adelaide?

Thanks everyone,

Julian
    Hi Julian.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sixteening.

I cant really comment on the engine, as my 16s are all stock, besides being able to replace the piston and sleeves to larger capacity.

You should find the paint code under the bonnet, on thr RH side.
    Hope the pic helps.

David.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new R16, but where to from here?-100_0293.jpg  
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Thanks everyone,

Julian
    "trak yellow" is not really yellow at all but more a sort of baby-poo browny orange, unless my memory is faulty
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

1. Since the car will go straight onto historic rego, what kind of modifications to the engine can I do that would be regarded as an option at the time of sale, for example I have heard the TS motor could be fitted with a side-draught WEBER carb (model 40-DCOE 8 ????) and different manifolds, and does anyone have any such parts they are willing to part with?
    The easy answer to this is that all modifications are to be as original OEM parts or those available as an option. In Australia there was no other alternative available as an option. As such the side draft Weber was not a factory sanctioned option and therefore cannot be fitted. Any other variations to bore etc are limited to reconditioning tolerances.

The only variations sems to be that you can change from 6V to 12V electrical systems (presumably because that would affect lots of early Holdens! Or where original parts are no longer available, the club liases with the Federation who will provide a decision if the part is condidered acceptible.

Whilst the rules seem tight, I still think that SA has the best rules for conditional rego for historic vehicles with the 90 days of free use per annum and ability to keep the original rego plates for the vehicle.

As to the colour, there should be a label as Vivid describes. Failing that, post a picture of the car, then it will be easy to determine if it is Sunburst Brown, Trak Yellow, Sungold, Dry Leaf Brown or Liquid Amber and post up the relevant paint code.

The paint used to be able to be mixed in aerosol cans by Rocca's, now Supercheap, but I'm not sure if they still do that. I've heard that Paint Supplies down at Hendon can also mix paint to a code or sample also in an aerosol, so give them a call, if they don't they probably would know someone who can. All you have to do is provide them with the paint code listed on the label under the bonnet.

Default congrates on r16

congrats and well done on the 16ts im a bit jelous i have a white ts that im fixing at the moment but yours sounds better. if you get a chance dro[p past main north renault and lets have a look . ask for tim k at service. id love to se it

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    "trak yellow" is not really yellow at all but more a sort of baby-poo browny orange, unless my memory is faulty
    Unfortunately, your memory is correct.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Unfortunately, your memory is correct.

ed ge
    Gee my retina fell off some years ago and had to be glued back on but Trak yellow doesnt look anything like baby poo...it is a very bright yellow orange. If my babies had ever dropped something that colour it would have been straight off to the doc. That liquid amber is more like fresh toddler droppings.

Trak Yellow and Trak blue were/are really bright colours....
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Baby + pumpkin =

Baby + pumpkin =
    Nah ed ge....wrong colour think really bright yellow orange....a shot of the late Terry Nicholls' immaculate 16TS shows it pretty well.

http://www.r16site.com/ this site looks like it could be helpful to a 16 restorer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new R16, but where to from here?-trakyellow.jpg  
    Last edited by BogMaster; 10th September 2005 at 10:08 PM.
    paulyd likes this.

Default welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    Nah ed ge....wrong colour think really bright yellow orange....a shot of the late Terry Nicholls' immaculate 16TS shows it pretty well.
    Hi Julian
    like you, I am a newbie to the world of the 16 ... and loving it! i have both a trakyellow and a liquid amber TS auto, and yes, you're right, side by side the liquid amber ain't pretty, but on its own, its looks okay ... believe me! I've decided to use the Trakyellow as the donor car, as the body is not as good as the poobrown, but hey, thems the breaks ...

happy motoring!

frank

Boggo,

I have trak yellow 504 in my driveway now, I am afraid it is a colour I do not like and actually dislike. It does stretch the imagination to call it a poo colour but it makes me think poo, hoo, hoo, hoo, poo hoo.

But the price was very right. Go on, ask me how much.

But I drive it everyday and people look at it and I feel like a big gumby sitting in a mobile bath toy.

I mean they're not looking at a 504 because it's cutting edge technology or because it's making enough noise to scare people.

Therýe looking at it cause there's a big dumb gumby driving a bath toy.

Go on, ask me how much it cost.

I'm not gonna tell you.

ed ge

I mean they're not looking at a 504 because it's cutting edge technology or because it's making enough noise to scare people.

Nah it because your driving a pug

My second 16 (in Perth) was Track yelllow, and it grew on me after a while... wasnt my colour of choice. Think I have some photos of it after we rolled

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 11th September 2005 at 02:37 AM.

Great recommendation, David, after it rolled?!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to seeing this image.

I'm working on an advertising campaign as I wait, if I can't move it for the car, I'll make it happen for the colour.

ed ge

Baby + pumpkin =
    Every conversation I've ever had about renault' Yellow', turns into a conversation about the consistency of you know what.Good to see this thread keeping the tradition alive.
    Jo

I gotta dig up the photo and scan it.

Will post soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    The easy answer to this is that all modifications are to be as original OEM parts or those available as an option. In Australia there was no other alternative available as an option. As such the side draft Weber was not a factory sanctioned option and therefore cannot be fitted. Any other variations to bore etc are limited to reconditioning tolerances.

Not uncharacteristically, I'd add that a 16TS is pretty good as it is!! Why mess with it?

JohnW

You can put on a pair 45dcoe side draft webers, cut the firewall and they protrude into the glove box of the 16. Put in a mild "G" spec cam, and large valves, then get a exhaust manifold made up and off you go..... and to get even more stuff, get a 5 speed out of a TX ;-) and or put in 1647cc pistons and sleaves ...

In the 70's bob watson rallied R16's I am sure and people have created tuned 16's in the past, with various states of performace mods to R16's.

I reckon they are a good tuning car, may have some body roll but that can be fixed and of course they have the quickest column shift in the west...

I remember going from my Red R16 to a R15 and was totally disappointed by the slow shift on the 15 compared to the R16.

Of course it's up to you what you do with your R16, but I must admit they are rare cars these days and a good condition clean car is a nice sight totally standard, but if you want to modify it, there are people around like Robbie Mekenkamp who have done that all before.

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    You can put on a pair 45dcoe side draft webers, cut the firewall and they protrude into the glove box of the 16.
    All those mods will make it ineligible for historic rego in SA though. The car has to be basically stock, or modified using factory accessories. So say doing the same modifications to a 1970 Mk 2 Cortina is OK, because side draft Webers were available from and approved by Ford themselves as an accessory. Renault didn't have the same forethought for future enthusiasts back then. :-)

I suppose in Victoria you can have the modifications for CH plated cars, you just can't have the free and easy use of the car as in SA, where there is 90 days of use allowed per annum, not just club sanctioned runs.

I remember going from my Red R16 to a R15 and was totally disappointed by the slow shift on the 15 compared to the R16.
    I love R16 Column shifts - I've heard some quick changes in R12/R15/R17 - but I find you usually you beat the synchro's and get a crunch - wonder if the same happens in the R16, but you don't hear it/don't feel it because of the directness of the linkage...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

You can put on a pair 45dcoe side draft webers, cut the firewall and they protrude into the glove box of the 16. Put in a mild "G" spec cam, and large valves, then get a exhaust manifold made up and off you go..... and to get even more stuff, get a 5 speed out of a TX ;-) and or put in 1647cc pistons and sleaves ...

In the 70's bob watson rallied R16's I am sure and people have created tuned 16's in the past, with various states of performace mods to R16's.

I reckon they are a good tuning car, may have some body roll but that can be fixed and of course they have the quickest column shift in the west...

Of course it's up to you what you do with your R16, but I must admit they are rare cars these days and a good condition clean car is a nice sight totally standard, but if you want to modify it, there are people around like Robbie Mekenkamp who have done that all before.
    Thanks Volker for the lead, yes I have modifide a few 16s, best results i got was to fit 16TX pistons & sleeves larger valves, failing gordini valves fuego valves will machine down nicely,easily available & cheap.
    Took gordini 125 cam to crow cams to profile and improve, & improve they did, head shave to 10.25 to 1 & fitted 1 weber 45 side draught, dynoed, mounted on lynx goose neck bolted to standard inlet manifold with no other mods. to engine, made for the quickest 16 i ever saw, out gunned good 17Gs and you can forget about fuegos.
    My self & mates used to take it out on saturday arvos around Preston Coburg, looking for Marios with v8 comodores, just to see the look on thier faces.
    Gave lots of wheel spin and all the right noise. Accelerated like crazie. Simon might remember it about 10 years ago running up Aruthers Seat.
    Only other mods. konis all round, still a bit rolly polly, but 16s always go were you point them.
    Only problem I had with engine was on very cold nights carby would freeze over & stall car during driving. Had to carrya bottle of water to defrost.
    But lots of fun.
    Last edited by robbie_renault; 28th September 2005 at 01:39 AM.

Boggo,

I have trak yellow 504 in my driveway now, I am afraid it is a colour I do not like and actually dislike. It does stretch the imagination to call it a poo colour but it makes me think poo, hoo, hoo, hoo, poo hoo.

But I drive it everyday and people look at it and I feel like a big gumby sitting in a mobile bath toy.

Go on, ask me how much it cost.

I'm not gonna tell you.

ed ge
    Gumby was my hero ed ge a plasticine man flattened by life (or obese Gumbettes) and still smiling about it....

Trak Yellow and Trak Blue were just the best colours...I bought a Trak Blue 16TS brand new and thought it was the best thing I had ever had in my bath.

My guess is that the feeble granny you acquired your Trak Yellow treasure from was trying to extort maybe $150 from you but in true AF style you beat her down to $15.50 and a packet of Arnotts Arrowroot bic's to help her digest it......

You could always sell your Trak Yellow 504 to an ageing enthusiast from the ACT...I'm sure I could double the price above and go a couple of packets of Vovo's just to sweaten the deal.

Default R16 paint

Ahoyhoy,
    I have recently becom the proud owner of a wonderful renault 16TS (mod r1151).
    Everything about the car is clean with an immaculate interior, and very reasanable motor with low kms, and only a couple of small minor rust issues which can be massaged out without too much work.
    My question concerns two things.

Thanks everyone,

Julian
    Congratulations on joining the R16 fraternity.
    The original paint for Australian produced 16's was supplied by Dulux and the colour and was on a sticker on the right hand inner guard.

Any panel shop should be able to mix the correct combination for you. I was not that impressed with autobarns pressure packs, but a small supplier here in Melbourne did a spot on job. Motospray do still have the correct Renault colours, but I think they only supply bulk product not pressure cans.

There seems to be some confusion between colours in this forum. From my memory, the baby poo brown was called "Sunburst" as my sister had a 1969 16TS in this colour. Trak yellow was the colour of the Renault Rally team competition cars and service cars in 1969, and was later available on production vehicles. It is very common and I have 3 in that colour.

Matching is not that difficult. If you were at French Day at Birdwood and saw the 2 Victorian 16TS in Triton Green, then one was original colour and the second was a bare metal respray. The colour of the respray was spot on.

Best of luck with your restoration, help is always available here.
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Quote Originally Posted by reno1154
    Trak yellow was the colour of the Renault Rally team competition cars and service cars in 1969, and was later available on production vehicles.
    The colour used on the Renault rally team 16TS's and 8G's was Daffodil Yellow, a pale yellow colour also used on the HK Monaro 327, Hillman Hunter's, various VF Valiant's and AUS production MGB's and Midget's of the same era.

In terms of Renault's painted Daffodil Yellow, it was only used on the 10, 10S and 8G in normal production. A majority of the Kays Rent-A-Car R10 fleet being Daffodil Yellow 10's.

Trak Yellow, the nice vibrant orange colour was introduced in June 1974 and was available on the 16TS and 12GL models

Default Early Renault Paint Chips

Finally got round to scanning these.

a higher res copy (700k) here!

Hope that clears up some things.

David.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new R16, but where to from here?-paintchips_lores.jpg  
    Last edited by vivid; 7th October 2005 at 03:31 AM.