R16 doorlocks and exhaust ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default R16 doorlocks and exhaust ?

hi everyone

Advertisement

my driver's doorlock doesn't exist but I do have a spare passenger doorlock (and a spare white plastic thingamajig) ... am i able to use this lock on the driver's door?

And the exhaust .... i've had a four quotes for a complete system ... and all are around the $400 mark for parts and approx. $200 labour ... ouch!!

f.

Nope, the locks won't swap left to right. However the latch part (probably what you call the white plastic thingy, the bit that screws to the outside of the door) will swap from front to rear on either side. The internal mechanism is handed too, but those don't swap from front to rear. So you will need a RHF mechanism to replace your broken one.

Just a thought on this, I reckon you may be describing the key lock and the plastic locking rod, as always I'm making things too complex :-). Bad news is though is that both the key lock and plastic rod are handed too. If you have a close look at the plastic rod, there will be a D or a G moulded onto the part that connects to the key lock, D is droite for RHS and G is gauche for LHS.

As for the exhaust, try Caravelle for a set, but I'd imagine that most of the labour is accounted for in connecting the exhaust pipe to the manifold :-)
    Last edited by Simon; 8th September 2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Second thoughts, so added key locks and lock rods.

[QUOTE=Simon]Just a thought on this, I reckon you may be describing the key lock and the plastic locking rod, as always I'm making things too complex :-). Bad news is though is that both the key lock and plastic rod are handed too. If you have a close look at the plastic rod, there will be a D or a G moulded onto the part that connects to the key lock, D is droite for RHS and G is gauche for LHS.

Thanks Simon (yet again!!) yep, its the key lock and the plastic locking rod ... will have to get the glasses on the check the D and G! many thanks, I believe you may have saved several hours of a swearin' and a cussin'!!!

So ... does anyone have a spare driver's key lock and plastic locking rod they're willing to sell??

Quote Originally Posted by Trackyellow
    hi everyone

my driver's doorlock doesn't exist but I do have a spare passenger doorlock (and a spare white plastic thingamajig) ... am i able to use this lock on the driver's door?

And the exhaust .... i've had a four quotes for a complete system ... and all are around the $400 mark for parts and approx. $200 labour ... ouch!!

f.
    I'm not surprised at the cost of the exhaust, the bloody thing's a nightmare to get at at all, and to replace it you'll have to take a lot of the underpanels off, which all takes time, which is why the labour costs are high.

I've spent several weeks trying to stop bits of exhaust from touching other bits during "spirited" cornering. Think that I've won, but won't boast until I've had a few more drives.

Best
    Mike Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Trackyellow
    So ... does anyone have a spare driver's key lock and plastic locking rod they're willing to sell??
    arghh we just had one sent to the fire fighters, for cutting! which I salvaged the barrel from (drivers door) .

I MAY be able to get my hands on the bits depending if they get damaged or not. They will rip the doors off it, cut the pillars, roof off, etc..

I am going to try and grab the towbar and bumper from it when they are finished , if your desperate maybe the bits you require.
    David.