Whats involved in changing a Thrust Bearing ?
  • Register
  • Help

Whats involved in changing a Thrust Bearing ?

Hey Lads

Advertisement

I've got this noise coming from the Gearbox, inside the bellhousing, and I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure its a Thrust bearing.

Like a rattling sound. When I push the clutch in it goes away, and once the engine has fully warmed up it disappears.

Is it a DIY job or is that sorta stuff best left for a French Mechanic

I want it to be a DIY job as French Car Care know how to charge. Which I don't want, as I'm still trying to save for for
    Mr Clio 172

Ashley
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

I wouldn't have thought the thrust bearing would be touching the pressure plate when the clutch is not in use???
    One of my GS's had a rattle to the gearbox when idling but I think it was just the oil in the box moving about & taking up the slack to the drive shafts/ diff.
    How bad is the noise?

Hey

Its not real loud but loud enough to be annoying. The Gbox still does its job and runs pretty smoothly, so I don't think it a case of bent or striped teeth from Saturday night thrashings jk .

Its a weird sounding rattle though.

Was going to give it an oil change and give it some Slick 50 GBox oil, but then though if the noise didn't go away what a waste of $40 - $50

I'll have a chat with a French Grease Monkey

Ash
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

1000+ Posts
    Howdy Ashley,

A thrust bearing is easy to replace - if you know how to change the clutch, you can do it. You need patience and a helper once you've go the box loose. One fiddly thing on FWD Renaults, or at least the 12, is getting the rollpin holes sealed properly on the driveshafts after replacing them in the side of the box. This can take a few goes with silicone in my experience. The thrust washer basically lifts off once you've removed the 'box. I wouldn't have thought a thrust bearing rattle would disappear when the engine's warm though. Do you mean when the gearbox is warm too? (ie. after driving, as opposed to running the engine up to temperature in your driveway). This should isolate whether it's in the actual gearbox, or is in the clutch (or is something like a crank endfloat rattle - mind you, endfloat rattles go away when you take your foot OFF the clutch...)

Or you could just turn the radio up

Cheers

Stuey

[This message has been edited by Stuey (edited 30 August 2001).]

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

It is unlikely to be the thrust bearing, worn thrusts make a rushing or squealing noise when the clutch is held down.

It is likely to be a worn input shaft bearing, the gearbox input shaft sits in a bush (or in the case of a 17 a roller bearing) located in the end of the crankshaft. With the clutch engaged (foot off pedal)the shaft rattles in the bearing, or the worn rollers rattle around. Foot on pedal, noise goes away, the "weight" of the clutch plate taking up the play.

It is not overly difficult to fix, you just have to remove the gearbox, pull the clutch, and replace the bearing. Usually it pulls out with a finger, if really stuck fill the inner of the bearing with grease, then use a clutch aligning tool into the bearing using hydralic pressure to force the bearing off. Also don't forget to replace the input shaft seal and gasket on the bellhousing. Otherwise the clutch will get covered in gearbox oil quicktime!

Unless it is really bad though they I wouldn't worry too much, keep an eye on gearbox oil coming from between the engine and gearbox, that is a good sign the shaft is moving around a lot and wearing out the input shaft seal.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hey

Thanks for your help on this guys.

Today my rattle changed into a roar. The 17 might be off the road for a while now, as today it was even refusing to go into gear on some occasions. It makes a noise in every gear except 4th.
    Yea so now its almost un-driveable.

I'll have a look tomorrow on closer inspection.

Regards Ash
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Hi Ash,
    Simon is exactly right, the thrust bearing is not your problem.
    But if the noise has turned into a loud roar, check you oil level, Renault gearboxes scream in pain when they go dry, I mean scream, we hear them at work coming down the street, the customer is convinced he needs a new box, I imagine a lot of repairers would go ahead and change it, we fill it with oil while the customer waits and send him on his way. So before you do anything check your oil, I'll bet its empty.

David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts
    David,

While you're on the topic .

I replaced the driveshaft/diff carrier seals on my 12 while I was doing the clutch, and it was definitely 'whinier' in the first three gears after reassembly. I took all precautions - checked number of turns of the carrier nuts, and exact position, before removal etc. In fact, I'm a real fuss arse, and go overboard with cleanliness etc. (Every job takes twice as long as it should as a result) Any idea what could've gone wrong? I would've thought if the diff preload was out, it would whine in all gears.

Also, what oil do you recommend? - I used Castrol EPX 80/90.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ash,

Just goes to show how difficult it is to diagnose problems and noises without actually being there. Only suggestion now is to drain the gear oil and see how many (if any) metal filings drop out of the gearbox! David's suggestion is worth a go.

Stuey, just wondering if your noise is the old psychological effect of working on something, then really listening afterwards to a noise that was already there originally. You previously said your car has done 350,000 odd k's, it could just a normal wear and tear noise. Usually if you are really careful noting the turns and notches things are OK.

I've used Castrol 80/90 too, it seems to work OK in my gearbox. Renault recommend 75W/80W, that seems better in the 17TS/Gordini 5 speed gearboxes and the 20/Fuego five speeds which seem baulky when cold. I figure in the hotter climes of AUS a thicker oil is better.

Simon

1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hey Lads

Yea the thrust Bearing isn't the problem I'm pretty sure its the input shaft what Simon said.

I haven't been game to start it up, as the noise it makes sounds scary and expensive.

You don't want to get rid of, any of the 10 R17G Gearboxes that you've got down there, do you Dave ?

Ashley
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Hey Fellas

Well found the problem, had around 500ml of oil in the Gear box, ouch.

Surprisingly no teeth or synchromesh came with it. I didn't think it would be the oil as I only got the Gbox rebuilt around 3/4 months ago, they then put fresh stuff in. The seals are all good too.

The thing drives better then new now. I cant belive how well it drives.

Thanks for your help fellas.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Thread Information