Top Gear Season 6 Episode 9 - Renault fastest hot hatch 1min32.5sec
  • Register
  • Help

Default Top Gear Season 6 Episode 9 - Renault fastest hot hatch 1min32.5sec

Anyone seen this episode?

The Renault Megane was .05 a second quicker than the Vauxhall Astra VXR, and the Golf GTI.

Excellent quotes....

Advertisement

"It doesn't have the quality feel of the golf or the comfort what you lose on the swing you gain when you go round a round-a-bout. Everything feels sharper than in the volkswagen, the brakes the turn in the throttle response, its an absolute riot!"

"it feels like quite an angry car errrr I'm so angry about having such a big bottom" and I'm competeley livid about your EU rebate as well. And of course like all french things it smokes, i likea to smokea my front tires. oh i likea that very much".

"Its a a tricky choice, The renault is quite a loutish looking car and it isnt as well made as the golf or as refined but it is more exciting..."

About the Astra VXR...

"1 minute and 33 seconds dead, now as you expect that is 2.1 seconds faster than the Golf GTI, but its half a second slower than the renault."

Page 2 of the Power Lap Board!

Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6

BMW M3 - 1.31.8

Nissan 350Z - 1.31.8

Mazda RX8 - 1.31.8

BMW 535d - 1.31.8

Ford Focus RS - 1.32.2

Lotus Esprit V8 - 1.32.5

Renault Megane 1.32.5

Audi TT V6 - 1.32.7

MG ZT - 1.33

Noble - 1.33.1

Mercedes SL 55 AMG - 1.33.2

Volkswagen Golf R32 - 1.33.2

Cadillac CTS-V - 1.33.3

Holden Monaro - 1.33.9

Volvo S60R - 1.35.0

Ferrari 575 - 1.35.2

Alfa 147 GTA - 1.35.6

Lotus Elise - 1.35.6

Aston Martin Vanquish - 1.36.2

Renault Clio v6 - 1.36.2

Honda Civic Type R - 1.36.5

Quote Originally Posted by mhackling
    "It doesn't have the quality feel of the golf or the comfort what you lose on the swing you gain when you go round a round-a-bout.
    So I take it this was the modified RS Megane "Cup" version?

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/meganecup/
    Last edited by Simon; 7th September 2005 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added link to UK RSMC site.

Yep, Got that episode but dont recall the Megane segment. Perhaps I'll have to re watch it to refresh my memory.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    So I take it this was the modified RS Megane "Cup" version?
    It won't really matter now as all new Megane 225's have all the Cup modifictations (except the ultra light wheels) ie: massively stiffer rear spring/damper rates for much better turn in (a real weak point in all Meganes IMO) and revised eletric assist steering settings and column assembly for better steering feel (to be revised on ALL Megane models).

Not sure when the updated cars will make it to Oz but I hope they revise the suspension settings across the entire range, because if they do I'll be first in line for a NA2.0L 3 door in silver .

I have loved the look of the Megane since they were released and they drive quite nicely but I was turned off by the relatively poor turn in that made the Fuego feel like a Go Kart in comparison (a very noisy Go Kart it must be said ).

On a corporate note, it is good to see Renault reacting to criticism and revising things on the 225. The Megane 225 was (by Renaults own press releases at the time) supposed to be a luxury GT and not a balls and all hot hatch but I think in retrospect they went a bit to 'soft'n'cushy' for the market that the car was competing in...

Perhaps the 5 door should have been more the Luxo GT and the 3 door more the Clio Sport on steroids...

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Where are you guys getting these episodes from?? My sister is taping me the series over in the UK where each episode is 60 minutes and not 30 like on BBC World.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

anyone got a torrent thing for this episode

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Where are you guys getting these episodes from?? My sister is taping me the series over in the UK where each episode is 60 minutes and not 30 like on BBC World.
    You could start looking here or here
    Last edited by gti138; 8th September 2005 at 10:12 AM.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Fellow Frogger!

The time was for the Trophy 225.

Also, the time for the VXR was for a pre-production model without the final suspension/brake spec.

XTC

Sounds interesting, but when you're talking a 1:30 lap, a 1 second spread over about the top 9 cars could come down to tire pressures/choice, wind direction, a mm here a mm there, track or air temperature etc.

What would be more interesting rather then the one "fastest" hot lap (out of how many they did with each car??), would be an aggregate time say over 5-10 laps, but then driver fatigue, brake fade, tyre wear etc etc come into it.

Anyway you look at it .. they are ALL fast cars, right down to the Honda Civic Type R.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Go Renault!!!

*Happy Dance*

Tadpole

Impressive.

I would have liked to se Clarksons face after that showdown. He never gives frogs any credit. But i am willing to overlook that flaw cos hes hillarious.

Id expect the CLIO III RS to do even better at that track . Beating the M3s 1.31.8. If they give it to the Stig.

Im surprised to se how badly the 241bhp VW golf R32 does. It might be that the updated R32 (250bhp) version, which is being premiered at the frankfurt motorshow, is a wast improvement.

Ecxellemente

Fellow Frogger!

I would have liked to se Clarksons face after that showdown. He never gives frogs any credit. But i am willing to overlook that flaw cos hes hillarious.
    You obviously don't know him very well at all. He loves the current Clio 182 (go look up the road test...)

Id expect the CLIO III RS to do even better at that track . Beating the M3s 1.31.8. If they give it to the Stig.
    I'll go out on a limb and say... unlikely.

Tadpole

Ok Mantra good for you. If Clarkson actually likes one frog, the 182, it still is well with in the margin of error. So Ill still stick to my earlier statement that he never gives frogs any credit.

If the Clio III rs is faster than the megane 225 at that track then finding that 0.7 sec. to beat the M3, is with in reach. Yeb fairly logical

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norwich
    Ok Mantra good for you. If Clarkson actually likes one frog, the 182, it still is well with in the margin of error. So Ill still stick to my earlier statement that he never gives frogs any credit.

If the Clio III rs is faster than the megane 225 at that track then finding that 0.7 sec. to beat the M3, is with in reach. Yeb fairly logical
    Dont worry about Mantra, he's a VW pusher *poke* *poke*

yeah i'd say its unlikely... but if it gets close! damn!
    I doubt it'll have enough poke down the straight, but we can dream & await!

1000+ Posts

That list does'nt say which times were in the wet, so its somewhat misleading... I mean a casual evaluation of that list makes no sense at all!

Fellow Frogger!

He also seemed to like the Megane Trophy and the new C6 (well its looks)

Now... be honest... other than the Clio RS & V6 and the Megane Trophy (maybe even the Modus).. what other frogs deserve credit? Which of those rise above their contemporaries?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    He also seemed to like the Megane Trophy and the new C6 (well its looks)

Now... be honest... other than the Clio RS & V6 and the Megane Trophy (maybe even the Modus).. what other frogs deserve credit? Which of those rise above their contemporaries?
    The above listed +

ScenicII (class creator and leader again),

Espace (The undisputed Rolls Royce of MPV's...)

Clio III (judging by early reports)

Quote Originally Posted by mhackling
    Anyone seen this episode?

The Renault Megane was .05 a second quicker than the Vauxhall Astra VXR, and the Golf GTI.

Excellent quotes....

"It doesn't have the quality feel of the golf or the comfort what you lose on the swing you gain when you go round a round-a-bout. Everything feels sharper than in the volkswagen, the brakes the turn in the throttle response, its an absolute riot!"

"it feels like quite an angry car errrr I'm so angry about having such a big bottom" and I'm competeley livid about your EU rebate as well. And of course like all french things it smokes, i likea to smokea my front tires. oh i likea that very much".

"Its a a tricky choice, The renault is quite a loutish looking car and it isnt as well made as the golf or as refined but it is more exciting..."

About the Astra VXR...

"1 minute and 33 seconds dead, now as you expect that is 2.1 seconds faster than the Golf GTI, but its half a second slower than the renault."

Page 2 of the Power Lap Board!

Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6

BMW M3 - 1.31.8

Nissan 350Z - 1.31.8

Mazda RX8 - 1.31.8

BMW 535d - 1.31.8

Ford Focus RS - 1.32.2

Lotus Esprit V8 - 1.32.5

Renault Megane 1.32.5

Audi TT V6 - 1.32.7

MG ZT - 1.33

Noble - 1.33.1

Mercedes SL 55 AMG - 1.33.2

Volkswagen Golf R32 - 1.33.2

Cadillac CTS-V - 1.33.3

Holden Monaro - 1.33.9

Volvo S60R - 1.35.0

Ferrari 575 - 1.35.2

Alfa 147 GTA - 1.35.6

Lotus Elise - 1.35.6

Aston Martin Vanquish - 1.36.2

Renault Clio v6 - 1.36.2

Honda Civic Type R - 1.36.5
    you did'nt quote the clio cup time which was a very respectable time of 1min33.8

Thread Information