Who is the lucky new owner of the 20TS on ebay?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Who is the lucky new owner of the 20TS on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Advertisement
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Very nice looking car.

$200? bargain!
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Don't know but I have a couple of these great (but valueless) cars - one registered and one for spares that might be available soon. The rego one has a clutch problem that my son thinks is terminal (looking for a new car me thinks) although I put a new clutch kit in it about 4 years ago. Might just be slave cylinder.

Typical Reno. - high mileage (300+ ks) uses no oil, on gas, blah blah. Must get up to his place to have a look and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by 350manx
    Don't know but I have a couple of these great (but valueless) cars - one registered and one for spares that might be available soon. The rego one has a clutch problem that my son thinks is terminal (looking for a new car me thinks) although I put a new clutch kit in it about 4 years ago. Might just be slave cylinder.

Typical Reno. - high mileage (300+ ks) uses no oil, on gas, blah blah. Must get up to his place to have a look and then decide.

It is madness that these lovely cars are valueless, isn't it?
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    It is madness that these lovely cars are valueless, isn't it?
    Just think, if people stopped buying brand new cars and made do with old ones, it would seriously help the resale value of old cars......

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Just think, if people stopped buying brand new cars and made do with old ones, it would seriously help the resale value of old cars......
    Should be legislated.

Think of all the extra real estate if there were no car yards.

ed ge

Think of all the extra real estate if there were no car yards.
    In sydney this is not a good comment. It would mean more ugly home units all around the place.

you saw my post about my lovely brand new scenic then - don't blame me it's my first brand new car in 20 years

cheers
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    you saw my post about my lovely brand new scenic then - don't blame me it's my first brand new car in 20 years

cheers
    Nope, didn't see that. But I thought it was a bit strange for someone who has two cars under five years old to comment that a 25 year old car was worthless, which it is despite its intrinsic utility value, instead of having bought a 25 year old Renault 20 instead of either a Scenic or Clio :-)

Fellow Frogger!

doh - should have bought it as a donor car! Looked good............

Would be a nice idea. All the car factories could have an additional factory refurbishing old models, upgrading safety features etc and generally reducing resources used, otherwise needed to build a new car from scratch.

Nope, didn't see that. But I thought it was a bit strange for someone who has two cars under five years old to comment that a 25 year old car was worthless, which it is despite its intrinsic utility value, instead of having bought a 25 year old Renault 20 instead of either a Scenic or Clio :-)
    if "worth" is defined as what someone will pay for it, yes it's worthless; but if it functions as a car, it should not be. philosophically speaking. I've spent the last 15 years or so driving cars in the last stages of their lives and only recently been able to afford newer ones (I hope safer, with airbags etc; teenage kids starting to learn to drive). I guess I'm still feeling a bit guilty about teh waste of resources incvolved in buying new cars and throwing away perfectly functioning cars. (But the new cars are such fun!)
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Would be a nice idea. All the car factories could have an additional factory refurbishing old models, upgrading safety features etc and generally reducing resources used, otherwise needed to build a new car from scratch.

Iíd say that it would be rather pointless exercise really. Given a choice, unless the car is rather special, like a Citroen DS or somesuch, I seriously doubt that anybody would want to buy something like a reconditioned Pug 505 or Renault 12. If they do, they generally do it themselves to their own particular tastes and requirements.

I remember reading that when Nissan reconditioned a number of Datsun 240Zís in the States, that many were rejected for various reasons such as crash damage, rust, etc. So it makes it a time consuming and labour intensive exercise, especially when the end consumer can just go out and buy a brand new car with confidence that the car hasnít had a questionable past life. I doubt that given the choice the average punter would pay more for a new looking old car too given the associated labour costs involved in the reconditioning.

There was such a scheme that a guy in NSW was considering back 30 odd years ago. The, Gloucester Holden. His plan was to recondition HR (1966 model) Holdenís on a production line, fit them with a new fibreglass grille etc.. After the Holdens he was going to start on VW Beetles. His plan obviously came to nothing. Then there was Mitsubishi who up until recently used to production line recondition secondhand recent model Magnaís with new interior trim and detailing in an attempt to prop up sagging secondhand resale values. Obviously that was a wasted effort, particularly as Iíve since heard that a one year old Magna now retains just 45% of its initial recommended retail price. OK, savage discounting on new Magnaís comes into play there, but there are reasons for that.

In the real world there is nothing better and safer than a modern (my definition, five years old or less) car, this is why apparently good running older cars are basically worthless. Try selling a 25 year old TV or fridge that is in working order, and apart from old Macís for collectors a 25 year old computer wouldnít be worth the space it occupies.

Yeah, Iknow the reality. Just makign a point a guess.

But what wouldnt I give to get my mitts on one of those "factory" refurbished 240 Z. Mmmm. Yummy

Thread Information