"Current" Laguna purchase in Oz
  • Register
  • Help

Default "Current" Laguna purchase in Oz

Hi all,

Long time lurker, finally a registered member BECAUSE we are considering the purchase of a "current" Laguna in Oz. From what I can see (searching the forums), they are basically a sound car once you get used to the adaptive transmissions. However, a couple of questions:

- are there any particular issues to watch for (we're purchasing second hand)?

- I have been told that all the "current" (!) Lagunas were manufactured & imported in 2002, and have been released gradually over the last few years. So, all cars are 2002 build, but can be complianced from 2002 - 2005 and of course first registered any time. This is rather fascinating & unusual, I'd think, if true. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Thanks,

Mark.

Advertisement

Probably just check that everything electrical works, that the car has two of the access cards that work, and that it has been ramped and stamped in accordance with the maintenance requirements. Also with a car that is less than three years old, you can also apply for and purchase an extra two years factory warranty, depending on the mileage of the car, or check if the prevous owner has already done so. See the following link http://www.renault.com.au/renault/af...edWarranty.asp

The build date of the car is in the RH door shut on a sticker adjacent to the vehicle details, so make sure that the car is described as the correct year, not the compliance date and not the first year of rego date. The latest Laguna I’ve seen had an early 2003 build date, but I must admit I’ve not looked at a lot. This is something that has happened for a long time, at the recent MG Rover auctions there were a number of 2002 and 2003 cars that had compliance dates of 2004.

It is probably something to thank Alfa Romeo for, as they are the ones who used to hold onto unsold stock, then compliance the cars two years down the track being sold as the model year in which they were complied. Australian Design Rules were then changed requiring that a build date be attached to the car, this has been the case since the mid 1980’s.

As for buying, it may be worth visiting your Renault dealer and seeing what they have in the way of “demo” Laguna's, I’ve heard that there are some very good deals on offer that may make it more worthwhile to buy than a secondhand one.

1000+ Posts

Default Laguna purchase

Mark

Just make sure that everything that is included in the deal is delivered, or if not, marked for delivery by a specified date ie. things like interior mats, headlight covers, and that any trim or minor defects to be fitted or fixed are marked on your contract and if you accept the car while waiting for them to be done that you follow up until they do the job.

If you are like me and very patient, you seem to be lost until you chase them up with the dealer. That aside (I'm still waiting on quite a few things since April) most things are done well - seems to be a problem with ordering in parts sometimes and those parts actually getting to your car.

The 2002 Laguna is a great car, runs well, good economy. Look for one with low kilometres and good interior/exterior, service book properly and faithfully filled out and bargain for the price you wish to pay for the extended warranty, don't hesitate to walk away from the deal if they can't accomodate your needs and the price you wish to pay.

At the end of the day You must be happy with what you purchase. It is a very safe vehicle, good brakes, good handling and yes the adaptive auto transmission is different, tends to change down at slow speed downhill with a clunk that can be disconcerting when first experienced.

Cruise control is great though ours tends to drop out at 100kph occasionally and I am awaiting the fitting of a new control stalk under warranty that I believe will fix that problem as well, as the CD cover that has never locked down properly, a new rear wiper frame and the headlight covers that are apparently somewhere but not on the car.

Apart from those minor issues the car performs well, some good deals around too if you look for them.

Ken

Maybe the auctions are a good ideas as well, as a price point

http://www.fowles.com.au/
    http://www.autogroup.com.au/Home/default.asp

Pickles often has quite a few renaults through their doors.....
    http://www.pickles.com.au/

LAGUNA, RXE, Hatchback
    AUTOMATIC, 2.0 ltr, 4 cyl, Petrol, Multi-Point Injected
    http://www.pickles.com.au/servlet/Au...m_id=202006887

LAGUNA, II Authentique, Sedan
    SILVER, SEMI AUTO, 3.0 ltr, 6 cyl, PREMIUM ULP, Multi-Point Injected
    $19,600 (GST inc.)
    http://www.pickles.com.au/servlet/Au...tem_id=2005779

Fellow Frogger!

www.redbook.com.au

that should give you an idea of the price you should pay....

Remember though that the Laguna is to dissappear from the Renault range when current stocks are exhausted.

1000+ Posts

Default No need to worry

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    [url]

Remember though that the Laguna is to dissappear from the Renault range when current stocks are exhausted.
    They tell me they are bound to maintain stocks of spare parts for the Statuatory 10 years at the very least and of course Caravelle are already starting to bring in spares for these cars as well.

By that time mine will be traded for a newer car at my time and place of choosing

Enjoy.

1000+ Posts

The Laguna is a sensational used buy. At its listed launch price, it did'nt really strike the chord it deserved.

You should be able to pick up one with a decent warranty left for a good price, if you want that extra peice of mind.

second hand is much better value than new. my neighbours have a laguna in their fleet of 5 cars including a more expensive saab (and a hot MX5) but i notice the laguna is the vehicle of choice for commuting and long distance travel too.

they copped a stone crack in the windscreen the other week and haven;'t dared to get a quote on replacement - it's one of those metallic jobs
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Icon14 Cool, ta much!

Wow, this is one enthusiastic & helpful forum! Ta much folks, we'll keep looking. Have driven/looked at a few and like what we see, both as a car and as a value proposition.

Mantra, when you say no more after the current ones: is it that Renault are no longer making the model (didn't think so, thought I saw a facelifted one on the Renault France web page) or that Renault Australia are going to give up on this model (folks, not that I REALLY think you would, but pls. do not hijack this thread to go into another "are Renault going to leave Oz" conspiracy theory !! ).

Ta again,

Mark.
    Last edited by MarkR; 8th September 2005 at 12:25 AM.

Default Adding press item link.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR
    Mantra, when you say no more after the current ones: is it that Renault are no longer making the model (didn't think so, thought I saw a facelifted one on the Renault France web page) or that Renault Australia are going to give up on this model
    Renault are continuing to make the Laguna in France, as evidenced by the facelifted version. However there are no current plans to bring the facelifted car to Australia. That doesn't mean that it won't come in the medium term though, but chances are very slim until the new model due in 2007/08.

As Ken mentioned earlier though, there is a statutory obligation to supply parts for ten years, so that is unlikely to be an issue in the medium, particularly as Renault will be striving to maintain and build a positive image.

The press item detailing the reasons for no more Laguna's to Australia is below.

http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor...nault%20laguna
    Last edited by Simon; 8th September 2005 at 12:38 AM.

Also, with regard to long-term availability of parts, you can basically order anything you want from any model via Renault here - including models not sold here. For example, I am able to source parts for my Phase I R25 V6 using the dealer network. Others have purchased parts for R5 etc. without difficulty.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that carsales link Simon, sounds very promising indeed!

Default I bought one!

Hi Sergetov!

I purchased an '02 Laguna Privilege nearly 2 yrs ago. It has been one of the best cars I've ever owned; comfort, safety and AMAZING economy (around 7l / 100km on a run and about 9.8 l / 100km for mixed commuting etc). But ONLY use premium fuel!

Once you adapt to the adaptive auto (!) it works fine. As far as problems go, I have heard of one with coil probs (fixed under warranty) and I sometimes find the cruise control forgets what speed it is set at. Also, if you look under the bonnet really close you'll see a lot of Japanese componentry in there - I'm still not sure how much in there is but the auto is from Aisin and I hear that the motor is Nissan VQ30. Maybe someone else has a better idea than me on that one!

Good luck and enjoy one of the most underrated veicles on the road today!

Hi MarkR

I also have an '02 Laguna that has basically been a joy to own. In nearly three years and 60K kms the only hiccup was the failure of one coil (as mentioned by queenslander). The car was still mobile and the dealer replaced all 6 coils under warranty even though there was only one AWOL (Renault policy under warranty). The CD cover also doesn't close sometimes like on Kenfuego's.

It's about to come to the end of its lease and I'm happy to extend our time together (but will be going with the extended warranty option).

Don't be put off buying a new one, the deals can be very attractive, but if you wait until after two or three years depreciation has taken place the value is remarkable.

And I strongly suspect that there have been recent shipments. In late 2004 new Authentiques started appearing on the showroom floor with leather trim when they had always been cloth prior to this.

Thread Information