Renault 12 auto problems
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Renault 12 auto problems

Hi Guys,

An easy one (I hope). My sister is getting rid of her Renault 1.4 automatic (well R12). It's a guenuine 2owner car, her being the second owner, and the first being an old women who sold it when she couldn't turn the steering wheel.

I've just found someone to give it to, hopefully it'll be a good home that'll get this car back on the road. It's only done a guenuine 125,000km's. Anyway the gearbox is stuck in first, when we pull the compters fuse it's stuck in 3rd. The box itself is good, doesn't flair on changes or slip. Where do I start looking (or tell him to look) to fix this problem. I'm thinking it'll be more a sensor somewhere than the computer itself.

Advertisement

I'm hoping someone has seen this before and know the answer?

thanks.
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Sounds like a usual 4139 computer problem. Pulling the fuse drops the transmission into a sort of default mode that gives permanent 3rd gear, you can place a switch between the fuse that allows first to be used, then open the circuit that drops it into third.

Anyway that doesn't really solve your problem nicely. Try cleaning the connectors in the yellow plug, pull plug and spray liberally with CRC (or other connection cleaner type spray), sometimes this can work. Check all other connections too.

Does it have reverse?

Sticking in 1st is normally an indicator of computer/governor problems or the hydraulic distributor. I'll dig out further details for diagnosis and be back in touch. Fortunately the computer/governor and hydraulic distributor are relatively easy to replace while the transmission is in the car.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Simon,

amazing, you've read my mind, we actualy ran the fuse through the hazard light switch so my sister could use the car for a couple of weeks until she got her new one. I'll give the connectors a clean and see how it goes. Reverse does still work, it's just stuck in 1st.

Anyway were giving the car away for nothing, it'd be nice though it I could get it running properly for them though.....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Aren't R12 autos a bloody horrid car to drive..... Gutless sums it up in 1 word!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The open circuit fix is quite useful really, and a good one to remember, it at least does keep the car mobile, while diagnosing, or waiting for parts to arrive!

The good book advises that it is either the governor or hydraulic distributor that is likely to be at fault. The only cure is replacement, the governor can be replaced in the car, and my guess is that is the part most likely to be at fault from past experience. There used to places in Qld. and Vic. that reconditioned the various electronic components, but my guess is that they may have closed down. Perhaps David Cavanagh could shed some light on a potential supplier.

The good part is that the governor can be easily replaced on the car. Careful with adjusting the governor cable otherwise it will be a slug to drive! If it is the hydraulic distributor, that can be done in the car, but requires a bit more technical knowledge.

As for being a slug to drive, just use the full performance potential, change up at 4500-5000 rpm, noisy and wasteful of fuel, but it does go a bit better! But it could also be the governor cable adjustment, if that is out, no kickdown, and generally awkward to drive!

Simon

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DoubleChevron:
    Hi Simon,

amazing, you've read my mind, we actualy ran the fuse through the hazard light switch so my sister could use the car for a couple of weeks until she got her new one. I'll give the connectors a clean and see how it goes. Reverse does still work, it's just stuck in 1st.

Anyway were giving the car away for nothing, it'd be nice though it I could get it running properly for them though.....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: Aren't R12 autos a bloody horrid car to drive..... Gutless sums it up in 1 word!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Simon,

the new owners came to pick up the car last weekend. I took a battery over, and it started almost instantly after sitting for 6months. Drove it to my place. I though I'd check the oil and throw some air in the tyres for them so they'd get home OK. Pulled the dipstick, think to myself, "that's strange, that cable on the carby's all 'bowed' up". I had a really bad cold, and wasn't thinking cleary and went back inside and snoozed for half and hour on the couch. Woke up and thought to myself "SHIT!!", dragged the trolley jack and jack stands down to the car, crawled under with shit falling in my eyes (you know, that position we all know so well). Found the kickdown cable was FULL on. Spent nearly an hour trying to rig up a spring to pull the cable off. Took her for a spin...... Bloody things changing perfectly.
    It had never accured to any of us. My sister must have pushed her foot flat to the floor for the 1st time, and the bloody kick down cable stayed there.... If one of us had revved it out to the redline we'd realised straight away as the car would have changed...

Can't get a cheaper Automatic box fix than that!!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane,
    Another bonus point for old cars,
    You wouldn't fix a modern auto that easily (or cheaply).

David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thread Information