what to do now.EFI
  • Register
  • Help

Default what to do now.EFI

Regarding the R21 head on my fuego,It appears the the single wire o2 sensor is not happy.I put one in from an unknown car, then one from a crummydor, but in both counts the X25 reads that there is a problem, and to check the wiring.Have checked the wiring, even soldered all the conections possible, and still an error comes up.Tried to order both an 02 and a knock sensor, which drops out intermitantly, today, but the usual supliers have none. I dont know the part no's, so the local renault dealer cant help.I dont really know what to do next,as I dont want to waste more money on a non standard part for the same resault as the last two. Any sugestions???
    Jo

Advertisement

Knock sensors not cheap new... But rarely fail.

o2 sensors a fairly universal type thing, so an aftermarket one should be fine.

R19 o2 sensor should work, and it may also have the same knock sensor - worth checking. Lots more R19s in wreckers.. Few R21s in here

http://www.partslocator.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Knock sensors not cheap new... But rarely fail.

o2 sensors a fairly universal type thing, so an aftermarket one should be fine.

R19 o2 sensor should work, and it may also have the same knock sensor - worth checking. Lots more R19s in wreckers.. Few R21s in here

http://www.partslocator.com.au/
    So a single wire o2 is a single wire o2??? in that case I'll go for one from repco. The knock sensor copped a few knocks of the wrong type, and the plastic case is tenuously attatched. When the light for that comes on on the X25, the car feels like its running on 3 cyl.Happens only ocasionly.

JO

Ah right... I did that on my R25 when i took the head off. Lightly knocked the knock sensor and the case cracked. Cost me $66 for a s/h one They are a bit fragile....(age+heat=brittle plastic...)

o2 sensor on my R25 is an NGK one. Even Repco should have a listing.

you and me both! The little bugger certainly lived up to its name.
    Jo

Default $$$$^%*#@[email protected]%^&$$$$$$

#$%#$#^$$$
    $$240. for a new sensor and it needs to be imported from frogland.I think I'll try and fix the one on the car.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    #$%#$#^$$$
    $$240. for a new sensor and it needs to be imported from frogland.I think I'll try and fix the one on the car.
    Jo
    Crikey.... They have gone up a bit. See if Ken from Carrevelle will get you one in, but you have to wait a while for it to be shipped by sea...

Just get a s/h one - they dont give trouble unless they are physically damaged. The wrecker in Geelong on partslocator is a pretty nice guy and if he still has it will get you out of trouble for a whole lot less than 240bux...

Get in touch with Marchants. I bet they can air-freight it to you, and you'll still pay less!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Is six ohms resistance between the o2 sensor body and the Neg
    terminal of the batt excesive resistance??????
    Jo

Is six ohms resistance between the o2 sensor body and the Neg
    terminal of the batt excesive resistance??????
    Jo
    Thats odd - might be worth checking earth straps b/w motor and chassis, and battery and chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Thats odd - might be worth checking earth straps b/w motor and chassis, and battery and chassis.
    Have done that and the reading is in the 0.2 area.Maybe there is too much stove enamel on the exhaust manifold to allow a proper signal through.That being the case should I consider a two wire sensor??
    Jo

Have done that and the reading is in the 0.2 area.Maybe there is too much stove enamel on the exhaust manifold to allow a proper signal through.That being the case should I consider a two wire sensor??
    Jo
    Cleaning up the sensor and the area on the manifold where it sits with some emery paper should get a good earth.

Thanks for your prompt replies,Haakon. will try the emery paper again.
    Jo

Just bought a new o2 sensor from repco.And there is no improvement. I'm starting to think the x25 is taking the piss out of me.
    Jo

farmerdave

Jo,
    If you get a 3 or 4 wire sensor instead of the single you can get a good reading in almost any situation. It has a heater inside inside the sensor which means that it gives a reading quickly. The signal ground being by wires instead of through a rusty exhaust manifold and asbestos gasket and rusty studs means that a better signal results.

Farmerdave

Icon10

\0\0\0?\0\0\0\0?=?Z¬=?&? you get a 3 or 4 wire sensor instead of the single you can get a good reading in almost any situation. It has a heater inside inside the sensor which means that it gives a reading quickly. The signal ground being by wires instead of through a rusty exhaust manifold and asbestos gasket and rusty studs means that a better signal results.

Farmerdave[/QUOTE]
    Any one want to buy a once used single-wire O2 sensor
    Jo

Thread Information