Classic Car & Sportscar Magazine
  • Register
  • Help

Classic Car & Sportscar Magazine

Again just for everyones info Classic car & sportcar have a buyers guide in it for the Renault 4. It is a fantastic spread. Full of info on the car and what to check etc...
    There were also some little bits on the Renault alpine V6. And also a little bit on the Citroen AMi6. Plus the Citroen SM...Check it out...

Advertisement

If only thinngs were as simple as they indicated in that R4 buyers guide.......

I suppose in a generic magazine they can't really go into specifics. Just wondering what qualifies an R4 being in the mag though, is it a CLASSIC car or a SPORTS car??
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I saw a white one in the Duttons rally a few years ago ... maybe a sports car!
    '05 Pearl Black Mťgane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Speaking of R4's, here's a lowered one with R5 turbo mags on an Argeninian website:

<a href="http://www.ggtuning.com.ar/fotor4turbo.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ggtuning.com.ar/fotor4turbo.htm</a>

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

davemcbean:
    here's a lowered one with R5 turbo mags
    ..or are they R5 Alpine mags?
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

they are 5 Alpine Turbo mags, or 5 Gordini Turbo mags if they came off a UK spec car.

5 Turbo (mid engined variety) mags are a similar pattern but four stud.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Every now and then, Classic and Sports Car magazine (let's get the title correct guys, as we whinge when people can't spell Renault!) does something on French cars. In the past, it seems to me that the UK car journalists just haven't begun to understand French cars.

But they are improving. The same magazine did a reasonable article on the 16 (last year, I think) and they managed to get some of it right. How they found the gearchange strange or difficult is quite beyond me, however.

When they reported on the R8 Gordini, they were amazed at how good it was! Similarly, they seemed a tad surprised when they got their hands on a 4CV.

Pity there aren't more R4s in Australia. They are just gorgeous little cars.

We're spoiled rotten, knowing how good they are all this time.....

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I agree it is good to see a few more interesting cars in the UK Classic Car mags. Renault seem to be making their museum a lot more accessible now, or exposing more of their museum cars (Etoile Filante, R4 (last year in T&CC) as well as the R16 previously described in recent UK mags). Next month there will be the early forward control people movers in Classic and Sports Car magazine. Good to see more about those and the 1.7 litre V8!

As for no R4's in AUS, blame the success of the 10 for that! The 4 was pushed out of production because of lack of popularity in AUS (following initial popularity!)and the need for extra production capacity to build the 10 in sufficient number for the then new local assembly rules.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

I do agree. The Renault 4 was (is) a fantastic little car. I once saw on a website somewhere a Photo of one called a "parisienne". It looks like a smashing little car. The add in its days were very "highbrow" and probably very classy...

1000+ Posts
    Damn! I've got 10 years worth of C&SC and stopped getting them about a year ago as I didn't have time to read them along with all the other mags I get Now they start on the Renaults! Mind you, the DID test the Matra Djet, which was pretty nice.

The green 16TX from the Renault museum is particularly nice, in perfect original nick...Thoroughbred and Classic Car tested it a while back, the only reason I bought the mag. Is this the ultimate 16, John and Simon?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey:

Is this the ultimate 16, John and Simon?

Stuey
    If ultimate is described as being the top model, the 16TX would be the ultimate.

1,647cc motor, five speed, central locking, and the rear aerofoil which was "forbidden to be fitted on other than the 16TX".

It would still be cool to find one of the Harry Firth developed 16TS rally cars though. That would have to be the ultimate 16 in AUS :-)

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Stuey,

If they tested that green 16TX in Classic Car, you might just have the same article as the one in Classic and Sports Car! They have a certain commonality at times.........

The TX came out as the last "extension" of the original 16. I think it probably was due to the construction of the major "modern" road network in France that really called for a car with higher gearing than the standard 16TS, and for that they found they needed a bit more torque and power, hence the larger engine too.

I've never driven a TX, but friends who have reckoned that the TS was the sweeter car. I've cruised my (previous) 16TS Special at up to 140 (no country speed limits in SA for many years) and it was great in comparison with 1980s Holdens and Valiants, but busy in a quite sporty way. The way a 16TS just pulls and pulls all the way to peak revs is really something, especially for less than 1600cc. Fabulous engine, in fact the favourite for me of all the Renault engines I've owned (and own!).

If I'd been doing Adelaide - Melbourne a lot, I've have been tempted by the immaculate and imported 16TX that was for sale in Adelaide then. Deep metallic green if I remember rightly - wonder what happened to it? The car dealer wanted about $7,000 in the mid-1980s, which was too much for me anyway.

Cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Simon,

It would also be nice if someone had one of the SA Callary and Chapman cars that won the SA Rally Championship 3 years running. Blitzed the field in almost standard trim. If I remember correctly, same car for two consecutive years.

A friend of mine in Adelaide traded his 750 for a 16TS at that time - now that was a change!

Are the Harry Firth cars you referred to the powder blue ones that all did head gaskets on the 1970 Mobil Trial? They'd probably have won if they'd retightened the heads, but the "wisdom" was that it wasn't necessary, so they didn't....... I never heard of those cars afterwards - total humiliation!

Cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Simon:
    If only thinngs were as simple as they indicated in that R4 buyers guide.......

I suppose in a generic magazine they can't really go into specifics. Just wondering what qualifies an R4 being in the mag though, is it a CLASSIC car or a SPORTS car??
    Simon,

I intended to reply to this earlier! We had an R4 indentical to the blue one in the C&SC article for one year, on loan. It was certainly a "classic". We called it at the time the "seasick wagon". I loved it, just loved it.

Compared with our (then) two Renault 750s, it was sporty too! We lived up a winding road in the Adelaide Hills, and I found it quite quick going downhill. Uphill? Hmm.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I once drive David Colliers 16 when my 19 was in getting fixed. Talk about body roll. I felt like the thing was going to turn over on the pacific hwy when i drove it up to the central coast. I loved it though it was an automatic. It was fantastic. Everyone was looking at me in it because they did have a strange shape. I love the spare under the front bonnet too. The car was totally rotten, like filthy(sorry david). Its true that the mecanics car is the worst car. I would like to get one I think but it would have to be trouble free. I think they would hard for parts now no??

JohnW:

If I'd been doing Adelaide - Melbourne a lot, I've have been tempted by the immaculate and imported 16TX that was for sale in Adelaide then. Deep metallic green if I remember rightly - wonder what happened to it? The car dealer wanted about $7,000 in the mid-1980s, which was too much for me anyway.

Cheers

JohnW
    If it is the same car, there was a metallic brown TX in Adelaide. Can't remember seeing a green one. But the brown car ended up looking quite scruffy with the usual metallic paint dandruff etc. It was sold on to an owner in Melbourne, and totally refurbished, seeing it at a Vic FCD a few years ago it was like a new car. However I have since heard that it has succumbed to the rust bug originally being a UK car, seems odd as it didn't seem rusty at the times I have seen it. But on all my trips to Melbourne it always seemed to be standing in the open on one of the major roads close to the city centre.

JohnW:

Are the Harry Firth cars you referred to the powder blue ones that all did head gaskets on the 1970 Mobil Trial? They'd probably have won if they'd retightened the heads, but the "wisdom" was that it wasn't necessary, so they didn't....... I never heard of those cars afterwards - total humiliation!

Cheers

JohnW
    The ones I'm thinking of are the Daffodil Yellow ones from the Waltons Rally Team (Department store not TV show!) Bob Watson used one to win the Vic Rally Championship and narrowly miss out on the 1969 AUS Rally Championship.

Tony Goode gave a discussion that mentioned that the head gasket problem was caused by outside suppliers who built the motors up rather than being built in-house at the Renault factory.

[quote]JohnW:
    I intended to reply to this earlier! We had an R4 indentical to the blue one in the C&SC article for one year, on loan. It was certainly a "classic". We called it at the time the "seasick wagon". I loved it, just loved it.

Compared with our (then) two Renault 750s, it was sporty too! We lived up a winding road in the Adelaide Hills, and I found it quite quick going downhill. Uphill? Hmm.

JohnW
    I just find R4's enormous fun too! My R4 van was used in a Citroen observation run, after being chased throughout the day and harrassed by a DS, I decided to try a bit harder down old Belair Rd. Either we beat the DS, or he decided to just stay well away from any impending disaster. There just seemed no limits to the grip on the road!

Also my white R4 was able to see of a number of MG's (well they were a bit older :-)) in similar circumstances on a rally, but it was soundly shut down by a rather hairy Corvette on the drag strip. Initially the car was laughed at, but then it started clean sheeting stages (probably more the navigator than the car or driver)......a shame about the blocked carby earlier on that cost us a lot of points!

John, how did you score a loaner R4 for a year? Surely Renault parts didn't take that long to arrive :-)

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Daniel,

Renault 16s are pretty reliable cars. There are a few around and I've never found parts a problem yet. They don't often need parts but the bits that wear, like steering links, ball joints etc, are generally available in my experience.

Speak to ********* or Caravelle in Melbourne for an opinion.

Body parts and some odd things are not easy to get, however it's never kept me off the road.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Simon,

The R4 belonged to a geologist friend who was sent to Blinman for a year. We baby-sat it. Lovely.

I presumed those gasket problems were the result of an unenlightened set of people. Never underestimate the potential for trouble with wet sleeves if things aren't done exactly right!!!

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

That brown TX from Adelaide, when it got here we found a lot of rust in it so we ended up giving it a full respray before rego, we had to do a lot of welding underneath to get it strong again.
    The owner lived on a busy Melbourne street so after many years it was starting to look second hand again, it's just been sold again, if fact I had it at work a few weeks ago preparing it for CH plates (club reg), the new owner intends to do another restoration asap.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thread Information