• Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Frans
  • 2 Post By Frans
  • 2 Post By Frans

Thread: Racing in SA.

Default Racing in SA.

Just a few pics of racing in South Africa taken this year and last year at the historic events. Some of the G's, the blue Dauphine and the R10 are running 1600 G motors while the others are running 1400 - 1480 Sierra moters.
    So the Renaults are alive and well in SA!
    Enjoy the pics
    Frans.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing in SA.-4674.jpg   Racing in SA.-5214.jpg   Racing in SA.-6743.jpg   Racing in SA.-11025.jpg   Racing in SA.-15724.jpg   Racing in SA.-59526.jpg  

potentz and J-man like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Default And the rest

The last batch of pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing in SA.-62729.jpg   Racing in SA.-88773.jpg   Racing in SA.-88820.jpg   Racing in SA.-88829.jpg   Racing in SA.-89403.jpg   Racing in SA.-112275.jpg  

Lovely pics!!

So how many 8G's are in South Africa if there are so many being raced? South Africa seems like it would have the largest population of RHD 8G's!

That is a difficult question. In 1998 with the Reno Centenery we asked for chassis no's on the Net and I think we got around 40 replies, although we could get only 12 good ones for the show and another 3 that wasn't brought up from Cape Town. Too far away. I think a total of 20 showroom models is a good estimate. There might be more in England?

R12 G's is not available at all. There used to be 2 or 3 that did the East African Rally and stayed behind but I have never seen them.

How many are in Aus? That is only R8 ones that I mean, and do they still run with the original motors? What do you guys do to get decent HP from your Sierras?

In Australia there were originally 30 odd R1134's sold, and 60 R1135's. Robert Lee (alpinesau) set up the 8G Register and last I know there were about two dozen known cars in varying states from restoration projects to good original and restored cars, and he had hot leads as to the identity of other missing cars. The success of the 8G in some late 1960's high profile rallies and in the 1970 Australian Rally Championship series, caused the demise of a number of 8G's due to competition wear and tear.

As for England, I've heard that the R1135 is rarer than the R1134. Whether this is from competition, rust, or that the French factory couldn't be bothered with RHD R1135 production (the South African and Australian cars being locally assembled) who knows.

Most of the running 8G's here have the original motors. The few modified ones that I know have either 16TS motors or a 5 Alpine motor (the 5 Alpine was never sold in AUS). Certainly I don't know of any 8G's that have been modified to the extent of those in your pics for circuit racing, although some have been used for historic rallies.

The only 12G's in Australia are those imported by Renault Australia for the rally team to replace the 8G's. These were all converted to RHD. One car was used for the 1972 East Africa Safari rally, but tripped over a culvert ripping out the front end. That car did come back to Australia and was repaired.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks

I really enjoyed the pics and if that were here I'd go and watch racing again.

Graelin

Yes Graelin I agree. My last race in 2001 had 65 classic car entries! The classes were split up A-D in a race ( 2 Heats) and then E-G in the other race.
    It was actually more than the Group N cars (stock modern ) which was known to attract the most entries.
    The classics ranged from Datsun 1800 SSS, Many Minis, Alfas, Anglias,Cortinas etc

Frans

Wow,
    Thats a good collection of Dauphines, 8G's and the lovely 10.
    Jealousy reins supreme from here.

Nice work Frans
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

This is a very old thread and I found scanned pictures on an old memory stick that went "lost and found". Feeling a bit nostalgic about the good old times..
    It is the car I raced in ZA and it is a pure racing car, not road legal as my existing one. Even the front screen was Plexiglass, no lights because they are too heavy, 10" full racing slicks.
    It was very quick and I my brag picture is the one where I was leading the Mustang, and finishhed in the lead. In the one picture you will see me lying behind the engine. I was aligning the new clutch that was installed between heats. The other picture is at speed down the pit straight with some tyre marks on the front fender of some incident. In the pits with some friends, HarryA with the white hat on. And a Renault trio with plenty cars in the background.
    Frans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing in SA.-image1.jpg   Racing in SA.-image2.jpg   Racing in SA.-image3.jpg   Racing in SA.-image4.jpg   Racing in SA.-image5.jpg   Racing in SA.-image6.jpg  

Racing in SA.-image7.jpg  

Cool pics Fran's.
    Dont seem to aged much!
    KB

Hi Frans,
    You beating the Mustang reminded me of the time that the 2 top R8G racers at Roy Hesketh circuit (my local track), challenged the 2 Kyalami championship winning V8 Monaro's to compete down on the coast at Roy Hesketh circuit. Needless to say, the R8s driven by Chappie Wicks and Chris Clegg beat the 5 litre Monaros, also known as Chevy SS in S.A. I think it was about 1970.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Henry,
    They couldn't make it at Kyalami because of the long straight. The track was 4.2 km and the straight was never ending, almost 1km. Gordon Briggs once said that with the the small cars you sit on the straight almost in valve bounce and you wait for Crowthorne corner to come up or the motor to blow up. Slightly off topic, Gordon Briggs's Broadspeed Anglia was the first <1000cc car to break the 2min barrier at Kyalami. It used to go! Until the Renault Alconis arrived on the scene

Regards
    Frans

Yep, The longer straights helped the larger cars, and another factor was the high altitude of Kyalami. This "robbed" the engines of power. The larger engines could afford a loss but the small ones couldn't. This is another reason the 8G's could compete with the V8'S down at the coast and of course the tight 2.9 km circuit also helped.

Henry

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Is there a link why Volkspares was on a lot of the cars.
    Is it just a sponsor or did you guys use VW parts in your Renaults.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

No VW Spares in the G John! They were the main sponsors and all the cars had to have it on. There were some without it but they would have been visitors not in our series that were invited or something like that.

Frans.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I ask because parts weren't easy to obtain compared to now with Internet. Also did you recently see overhauling where they did an old Lotus Europa and installed a modern Porsche gearbox and swing axle mated to a modern Lotus engine, it was very nicely done. Have you ever heard of a Porsche or VW rear end in a Renault as an upgrade for racing, and yes I know I shouldn't ask silly questions but you never know.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

John,

There is a R8 on "Renault Owners Club of North America" website with a Porsche 914 transmission, suspension and engine!, but not for racing.
    Yes, it was very difficult to get parts back in the day and even the Renault agents gave very little support for racing as well as normal spares. It was really private persons (and Alconi Developments) enthusiasm and dedication to the brand which allowed them to make these cars successful.

Henry
    Last edited by rubyalpine; 26th November 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Thread Information