Dellorto advice
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Dellorto advice

Fellow Frogger!

Dellorto advice

Hi Guys,

just wondering if any of you have had experience fitting up twin side draught dellortos? I bought them second hand and there are two lots of gaskets. The inlet manifold ones (-to head ) are brand new - from Renault- it's the manifold to carb ones that have me buggered.....

Advertisement

There is 4 steel gaskets with a rubber insert, are these supposed to go between the carb and manifold? There are also a lot of 'special' washers, both flats and 'double' spring washers, lock nuts, and large rubber washers too.

I don't want to stuff anything, that's why I decided to post on here as someone else is bound to have set these up (the jetting etc is about right(I hope!) I have checked this out) I had found a good dellorto site ages ago that went through it all- hence I know the jetting is about right- but no longer have that address....

Any other snippets of info about them would be appreciated as I'll have to run and maintain(tune) them too.

Cheers Ben

1000+ Posts
    Hi Ben,

The idea with the 'double spring washer' and the thick rubber gasket (Webers use two thick O rings either side of a steel grooved gasket) on carbs is to allow some movement to dampen shock (vibration) going to the carb and affecting the float level. So it's imperative that the double washer is not clamped down so that the spring binds tight, but should be left just pinched up enough so the nut doesn't come loose, and the gasket doesn't leak. There should be a bit of movement if you press hard down on the carb.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Stuey,

thanks for that, that explains the steel gaskets with the rubber o-ring in the middle. But what about the thick rubber washers- about 1cm thick? and the large (anodised) flat washers?
    Also do I put both the paper gasket and this steel/rubber o-ringed one between the carb and the inlet manifold or just one?

Cheers Ben

Tadpole
    Ben
    the steel plates with rubber are to go between carbs and manifold... the little rubbers are used like spring washers, on the bolts the idea is to just nip them up on the rubbers then tighten half a turn.... from menorey... been a while since i touched mine... if you are after jeting specs i have webber ones which should be close...
    regards paul.

1000+ Posts
    Ben,

Hard to say without seeing them, but the rubber one is the only one for the carb to manifold.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

This site has some info which may help:

<a href="http://www.rdent.com/pages/carblink.html" target="_blank">http://www.rdent.com/pages/carblink.html</a>
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks Europa,

that site pretty much explained it all. My next thing is a reasonably priced air filter- over here they want over $300 NZ for them- and they are a standard out of the box item! Considering I paid $350 for the carbs I am feeling a bit hard done by. Also the fact that even OE filters aren't that dear, and these are generic items!

Anyone got any good sites for air filters- that don't just sell the 'new fangled' pod types to suit a jap boy racer car?

Cheers Ben

You may find it difficult to get jets for Dellortos, but I've just discovered an alternative:
    Jeweller's drills!

Jewellers can get drills in 0.05mm increments between 1mm and 2mm which is exactly what you need for drilling out carburetor jets. Apparently you can buy a set of 6 of these drills for less than $AUS20. You might have to ask around to find a jeweller that will sell you some or tell you where he buys them.

Thought this info might be helpful.

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information