Fuego stuck bonnet
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 Fuego stuck bonnet

When I got my new (heh) Feugo GTX trailered down do my place, it was 4am and we were silly and left the bonnet up as we moved off Anyway, hinges were a bit bent, as was the metal above them... got it all straightened out pretty well ,except for one thing: after re-attaching the bonnet, when testing for alignment to the bonnet catch, I let it drop too hard, and it latched... now it wont open. Cable still seems to be attached and under tension, butnot moving the lock plate of the bonnet catch...

Advertisement

I looked around the forum and saw thread about using a custom tool to get to the catch from underneath, but looking from the bottom, theres only about 1cm between the front of the engine and the radiator - no room to get the tool in... I think I can see the edge of the locking plate if I look up around the engine from the right side of the car to get at it with a screwdriver, but I'm not quite sure (only looked with torch at night, so not good lighting conditions).

Could someone describe what the plate is supposed to look like from underneath, or maybe send a pic? The half I think I saw implies that its a circular plate with two triangular protrusions, lke
    =O=
    if you imagine the '=' as being tapered toward the ends. Eckept with the engine in the way it looked kid of like
    (engine)D=
    Is this the bit I should be trying to turn?

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Jammed bonnet

Madact

You should not need to use the underneath method if you can get into the car and pull the cable opener.

Often the bonnets will jam when you are setting them up and I use a piece of tapered wood to jam up under the offside front of the bonnet to apply upward pressure and when the cable is pulled it will usually spring the catch as it is under some tension from both the rubber stops each side of the bonnet and the spring on the catch itself.

Try this "gentle persuasion" first.
    Regards ken

Worst case is you have to "sacrifice" the grill - rip it out to access the catch mech

After doing some quick post crash work last easter, did exactly the same thing.My bonnet was a bit rough after the prang,so I decided to pull up the drivers side edge ,and wedge a piece of High density foam in. this gave me about 8cm with which to stick a coathanger with a 180 bend at its end.I must admit it was made easier by the fact that next to it was another fuego,so I could pre-fab the wire to the exact length.The amazingly dumb thing is,I did it again soon after,with the good car, and with two people the technique works without damaging the car if you are very,very careful.
    I'd consider smashing my grille an absolute last choice, and would have to weigh up if it would be easier to replace the bonnet with parts suply as it is.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Its o.k. Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    After doing some quick post crash work last easter, did exactly the same thing.My bonnet was a bit rough after the prang,so I decided to pull up the drivers side edge ,and wedge a piece of High density foam in. this gave me about 8cm with which to stick a coathanger with a 180 bend at its end.I must admit it was made easier by the fact that next to it was another fuego,so I could pre-fab the wire to the exact length.The amazingly dumb thing is,I did it again soon after,with the good car, and with two people the technique works without damaging the car if you are very,very careful.
    I'd consider smashing my grille an absolute last choice, and would have to weigh up if it would be easier to replace the bonnet with parts suply as it is.
    Jo
    Its o.k. Haakon probably has one he can sell him

Ken (very tongue in cheek!! comment!!)

Tadpole

Default Problem solved

As you said, with a little gentle persuasion... finally came unstuck when I grabbed the bonnet at each corner and tried to lift the car by it Cant seem to make it centre well enough to 'pop' cleanly though... it needs the handle pulled twice - the first time, I feel a click, the second time, it pops up - I guess it just has to be aligned to +-0.5 mm? If I hold the release in the open position, I cant feel any contact between the pin and the plate (apart from the spring), so I guess thats as good as I'm going to get it...

FYI you can actually get to the catch from the front with a screwdriver, but I couldn't see it due to plastic bit which goes above the grille...

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego - Lining up bonnet

Madact

I usually just nip the bolts up on the bonnet hinges then lower the bonnet with a flat block of wood in between the catch and the hole, I then wriggle the bonnet about until it lines up nicely with a consistent gap with the bodywork near the windscreen. Then get someone else (usually my wife) or my daughter when around to raise the bonnet carefully until I can just get my arm in from each side and tighten one rear bolt on each side.

Tighten all bolts at the rear and prop it up with the bonnet prop, slacken the 10mm bolts holding the front spike on the bonnet catch until it can move slightly sideways get a piece of light cardboard or heavy paper - coat the spike of the catch with a bit of dark grease and lower the bonnet carefully(Flat block still in place) to see first by sight if the catch hole lines up with the spike, when it is within a Bulls roar lower it onto the paper and if it lines up well on the impression, tighten the 10mm bolts - after tightening those bolts just check again.

Now you may need to slacken off the four bolts of the panel above the radiator to get enough adjustment if it is too far out sideways.

Perservere with this and you will usually get an easy closure/locking and unlocking. Make sure to adjust the rubber stoppers each side of the front under the bonnet lip, wind them out until they give a bit of spring to the bonnet on opening, but don't distort the line of the bonnet.

If all the catch components are lubricated and lined up the bonnet should open easily

Hope this helps you enjoy your car. learn to do basic maintenance as per your Haynes manual and when comfortable tackle any job, we usually can help on most problems.

Ken

what do you need to open the bonnet for anyway?
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

1000+ Posts

Default So quiet!!

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    I don't know about yours but my Fuego is so quiet when it runs I keep checking to see if the engine is still there

Tadpole

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ
    Why, to put a bigger engine in, of course

Had a 105 Alfa years ago that must have had similar problem. Previous owner had run a length of strong fishing line along outer side of cable with loop in end near lever and connected to bonnet catch of course!
    It worked though I never had to use it.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Thread Information