How to remove inner rear bearing race on a Virage
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default How to remove inner rear bearing race on a Virage

Went to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 1979 Virage s/w and found that there was no thick thrust washer that I could use my modified bearing puller to extract the washer along with the inner race of the inner bearing. I believe the grease seal runs on this thick thrust washer.

In place of the thrust washer, there is a relatively thin metal deflector-like plate that the seal runs on. It looks original and must have replaced the thick thrust washer. The problem is that I don't want to stuff this plate with the puller, as it looks pretty flimsy.

Any ideas on how the remove the inner bearing race would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Renpete

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Renpete
    Went to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 1979 Virage s/w and found that there was no thick thrust washer that I could use my modified bearing puller to extract the washer along with the inner race of the inner bearing. I believe the grease seal runs on this thick thrust washer.

In place of the thrust washer, there is a relatively thin metal deflector-like plate that the seal runs on. It looks original and must have replaced the thick thrust washer. The problem is that I don't want to stuff this plate with the puller, as it looks pretty flimsy.

Any ideas on how the remove the inner bearing race would be appreciated.

Renpete
    I guess I should have put a question mark after the heading. Anyway no replies so I answered my own question. Got serious with the angle grinder using a worn (small diameter) cutting wheel on the inner track of the inner bearing and made a diagonal slot in it but not deep enough to reach the stub axle. Then a club hammer and cold chisel cracked the track and I was able to lever it off.

Putting on the new pressed tin grease deflector that the grease seal runs on on was a fun thing. Its a tight press fit on the flange at the back of the stub axle and just wouldn't go on with the mandrels etc that I had - was wary of using too much clout as it would distort easily. In the end, I used the outer track of the replacement inner bearing to drive it on. Took a bit of lining up before I gave the mandrel used to fit outer track a firm clout with the club hammer , but seems to have done the trick, although I haven't reassembled the hub yet to road test it.

renpete

Thread Information