Dash Rattle in clio.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dash Rattle in clio.

Im trying to rectify this dash rattle that has been present since i bought the car in 2002, but the dealer never rectified. It seems to be somewhere along the vent that runs the length of the dash under the windscreen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, my windows rattle when i have them down, and im driving, quite anoying.
    These were all problems since new, dealer refused to rectify, or could not detect the rattles.

Advertisement

Any help is appreciated. I didnt really want to start ripping off door trims untill i had an idea.

Also: Is it normal for you to hear the loud clicking of an electrical relay when the wipers are on at low speed. When you have the wipers set fast, the clicking stops.

Quote Originally Posted by BalleR
    Im trying to rectify this dash rattle that has been present since i bought the car in 2002, but the dealer never rectified. It seems to be somewhere along the vent that runs the length of the dash under the windscreen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, my windows rattle when i have them down, and im driving, quite anoying.
    These were all problems since new, dealer refused to rectify, or could not detect the rattles.

Any help is appreciated. I didnt really want to start ripping off door trims untill i had an idea.

Also: Is it normal for you to hear the loud clicking of an electrical relay when the wipers are on at low speed. When you have the wipers set fast, the clicking stops.

Yes, the clicking relay is norma(i think) when the wipers is set slow.
    Sorry cant help you with the rest but.

Thanks anyway, at least i know the rest are like that too.

1000+ Posts

Dash vent... well the problem is the vent is held down in 2 places & is a rather long span, so if its the dash vent (window air vent), then you can secure it to a metal frame below with a zip tie!

Windows rattle... u also get a loud noise when the glass goes in/comes out of the door? i'll look into that one next week!

You could try and get the dealer to replace the dash vent. I've had mine replaced cause it wasn't sitting right, but seeming as though you've had problems gettings things like this fixed in the past I don't like your chances.
    JoJo

Thanks for the advice guys, i managed to secure the dash vent a bit better by removing the screws, sliding some double sidded tape under at various points, and rescewing tight, seems to be ok now, ive taken it down some rough patches, and the only rattles i have left are the windows.

Your spot on about both nate, its a wonder why they didnt just have a couple more fixtures for that vent for such a span, it doesnt exactly fit well with the dash, in particular, behind the lump for the dials on drivers side.

The window rattle is exaclty as you described also, you get a loud noise as the glass goes in/ comes out of the door, and once the window is down a bit, you get rattling when driving. You can also hear a cracking sound if you touch the glass.

Car is a few months out of warranty now also, so i have next to no chance getting it rectified by a dealer.

All in all, these have been the only issues, the car is otherwise pretty well put together. Any issues ive had have been because of rick damelian when i first bought the car in 2002. Dodgy tinting job, alarm and missing duct for aircon vents on drivers [email protected]!

1000+ Posts

Dealers & Rattles...

I have a great relationship with the service guys at my dealer & they're always more than willing to do anything, however whether or not they can is the issue!!!
    The "tech" people seem to not understand how to locate a rattle & work out how it can be fixed, more than likely due to it not being in the tech manuals!

I've had the dealer look for the rattle/loud click & they "packed the regulator with grease", $10 says i'll spend 30seconds looking at the door & find the problem, another 1min fixing it!

DIY never hurt anyone, its just now i dont know what to do with these left over bolts!

I get a crack sound as it goes in and out of the door (so to speak).. it has twice jumped out of it's track and jammed...

This is only on the passenger window..

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by BalleR
    Thanks for the advice guys, i managed to secure the dash vent a bit better by removing the screws, sliding some double sidded tape under at various points, and rescewing tight, seems to be ok now, ive taken it down some rough patches, and the only rattles i have left are the windows.

Your spot on about both nate, its a wonder why they didnt just have a couple more fixtures for that vent for such a span, it doesnt exactly fit well with the dash, in particular, behind the lump for the dials on drivers side.

The window rattle is exaclty as you described also, you get a loud noise as the glass goes in/ comes out of the door, and once the window is down a bit, you get rattling when driving. You can also hear a cracking sound if you touch the glass.

Car is a few months out of warranty now also, so i have next to no chance getting it rectified by a dealer.

All in all, these have been the only issues, the car is otherwise pretty well put together. Any issues ive had have been because of rick damelian when i first bought the car in 2002. Dodgy tinting job, alarm and missing duct for aircon vents on drivers [email protected]!
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    $10 says i'll spend 30seconds looking at the door & find the problem, another 1min fixing it!
    OK you're on!

Post up the video evidence on AF's of the 1 minute 30 second diagnosis and fix and the $10 is yours. Or send the money to a legit charity of your choice :-)
    Last edited by Simon; 29th August 2005 at 06:24 PM.

Thread Information