Fuego stuff
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Fuego stuff

Tadpole

Fuego stuff

I've just bought myself a '85 GTX, and after reading some of the messages posted previously, I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have! (yes it has a power bulge in bonnet, LH chassis repair, hard to get original tyres/wheels, and 1 shagged engine mount) . Having said that, it's a nice car and I'm looking forward to enjoying driving it.
    I have a couple of questions....
    1. Does anybody have a manual for them? I've just been told that they are out of print at the moment.
    2. LRP, ULP or PULP?
    3. If the original engine mounts are as weak as (and $60 each), is there an alternative that will fit?
    4. I don't need to yet, but where is a good source for metric tyres, or alternatively what is the recommended replacement alloy wheel/tyre size?
    5. Where (how) do I get my boot gas struts recharged (to stop is falling on my head in cold weather)?
    Cheers,
    SASB

Advertisement

G'day,
    I would run it on PULP, but it probably doesn't need it as it has a low comp ratio.(much lower than an R20TS)
    If you replace the single side mount on the gearbox with one each side from an 18, your mount problem will be solved. The exhaust may have to be re-routed.
    Don't bother with re-gassing the struts,it is rarely sucessful for long. Just get new ones.
    I have had 15 x 7 wheels with 205/50 tyres under a Fuego with no clearance problems. Don't know what offset.
    Hope this is some help.
    Alan
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Hi,

Fuego's are good cars mate! You'll most likely be happy in the long run.

1. Ive got 2 Fuego manuals, 1 is full of grease in the garage the other i keep in the car for emergencies. They're the Haynes ones and to be honest they're not very good...There's plenty of'em down here in melbourne...

2. Fuego's are supposed to run on Leaded, which is now LRP. I occasionally run optimax, BP ultimate PULP but only once every 3 fills or, you can use optimax as much as u want as long as you chuck in that lead substitute. Dont use ULP.

3. My engine mounts are cracked too. Does someone know of alternatives? Vibrating engines are a long Renault tradition anyway.....

4. You can fit anything you dare to. I was told not to go over 15" or risk rubbing and problems. None of its true. Ive got 16x7's with 205/45 tyres with no worries. My cars lowered by 2" too...

Good luck!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hey turbo-man,

you run the fuego on LRP I've tried that in a couple of my cars. Must say it's the crappiest excuse for fuel I've ever put in my tank(s). I reckon whatever sh!t they put in that they reckon reduces valve seat problems also reduces the octane rating disappro

I just run my cars on optimax, they love it! Standard ULP I find it better than LRP, and hey that crap hardly burns...

All our cars have alloy heads, ie: they MUST have hardened valve seat fitted already anyway :p :p Sure they might not be as hard as the most modern seats but (there's always a but isn't there), everyone in the US has been running there Renaults/Pugs/Cits on ULP for years --ULP is ALL they have... They haven't had leaded for about 10years and it hasn't affected any french cars I know of over there

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

"1. Does anybody have a manual for them? I've just been told that they are out of print at the moment."

Try the Tech Book Shop in Melbourne for a Haynes Manual. They still list one online.

<a href="http://www.techbooks.com.au" target="_blank">http://www.techbooks.com.au</a>

In the absence of any other English language manuals, the Haynes book is the only alternative. Unless you have access to the multi volume factory manual.

"2. LRP, ULP or PULP?"

Renault Importers issued a service instruction in 1986 detailing that the AUS spec Fuego was able to use standard LRP, so the Fuego can use the full range of petrol fuels available in AUS.

"3. If the original engine mounts are as weak as (and $60 each), is there an alternative that will fit?"

Not as far as I know. Probably stick to genuine though, a lot of pattern mounts seem very soft and prone to a short life.

"5. Where (how) do I get my boot gas struts recharged (to stop is falling on my head in cold weather)?"

Probably let your fingers do the walking, check out the various gas strut rechargers in the Yellow Pages.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I feel like a foreigner here in the Renault version of Frogs!!!
    Re the boot struts, I've had mine regassed on various cars. The easiest way I've found is to go to your local mechanic and leave it with him/her (it helps if he's a mate). The reason being that the regassers often have regular runs (much like a Snap-On truck etc) and you won't have to pay a call out fee.
    1991 205 GTi (Silver)
    2005 Clio Sport 182 Cup (FRB)

renaulturbo,
    What offset are your 16" wheels and how easy is it to buy them to suit the Fuego?
    I am converting my 1984 car with 96k on the clock to power steering (I bought a power steering car to source all the necessary parts) and want to put 16" wheels on.

Robert Lee
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2008 Clio X85 Cup Racer
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

Shane,

Thats news for me, when i run Optimax or any PULP i notice my engine is alot 'noisier'. I can almost feel each valve slap back in its seat. They say that Optimax is mad and this and that but honestly, i dont apreciate an improvement in my car. I did put unleaded in my car by mistake once but i bought one of those Lead substitute capsules and put it in. Maybe ive been so paranoid because in the service station listings, the Fuego is only listed as able to use LRP or PULP. I'll have to experiment with ULP blush

Robert,

I cant remember what offset they are....I think they are 38

All i can tell you is that i bought them second hand and i didnt really worry about offsets at all, to check i just fitted one on my car and made sure they werent too close to anything. As long as they're 4x100 stud pattern and dont rub against anything, she'll be right wink

There's plenty of cars out there with the 4X100 stud pattern. My wheels were on a '92 Pulsar sss and off the top of my head i know the Mazda Astina's and Gemini's have the same pattern. I have a listing of wheel sizes/patterns/offsets for heaps of cars. If you want more details i'll fish it out and display it on here

You forgot to add,

if your putting 16" wheels under your fuego, forget the power steering, you WONT need it!!!

Seriously the low profile tire will lower steering effort more than 10fold If you don't believe drive my brothers cars! :p :p

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole
    Thanks for the help guys!
    SASB

Hi Guys,

well my brother 'indestructable, thorougly thrashed' fuego finaly died on the weekend.

He was on the way to work when the oil pressure light came on, thinking it must be low on oil he turned of and headed for my parents place (a mere couple of blocks away). He made it half way before she locked solid, and welded her insides together I thought it was pretty obvious, the oil pressure light comes on -- The motor gets turned off immediatly

Anyway, I don't think he's going to bother chucking another motor into it, so I'll let you know if he decides to wreck it for spares....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole
    There's plenty of cars out there with the 4X100 stud pattern. My wheels were on a '92 Pulsar sss and off the top of my head i know the Mazda Astina's and Gemini's have the same pattern. I have a listing of wheel sizes/patterns/offsets for heaps of cars. If you want more details i'll fish it out and display it on here
    Renaultturbo

I would be very interested in this information. The standard wheels on my '85 Fuego are coming up for replacement soon!

Rob

Cool, ill post it here tomorrow as im at uni now

My reply was posted on General chit chat

Something's wrong with these Uni computers

About ULP in the Fuego, same here. I filled up on LRP the first time after I bought it a month ago and it ran rough as a dog. Since then I've spotted advice on some web sites that ULP is fine due to the low compression. Some really impressive-looking engineering specs online said so. So The next 2 fills were ULP and the Fuego (Spanish for Fire, don't you just love it?) ran like a pacer!

Incidentally, I need a Camira mag centre cap to complete my set. Anyone?

Yep, normal ULP (as opposed to premium ULP) is fine on standard low compression AUS spec motors, Renault Importers of old issued a service instruction when ULP 91 octane was introduced.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

For replacement wheels for your Fuego, I reckon its easiest to put Renault wheels on. That way you you dont have to muck about getting the centre bores machined to Renault spec (ignore doing this at your peril - the wheel is located by centre bore on the hub, NOT by the wheel studs. If you rely on the studs to take all the weight of the car, they WILL sheer off). I had R25 15" steel wheels on mine with 195/55 V 15 tyres, but R25 alloys would be better, or R21 14" alloys. All bolt straight on, and you dont have to resort to the sacrilage of putting japanese or Holdingon wheels.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I had a problem with my rear wheels not rotating straight because they werent sitting on the hub correctly...but i thought this was due to the head of screws that hold the hub not providing a flat surface so my dad drilled out a bit of metal from the inside of the wheels so that the head of the screws could go into.

Ever since then, apparently my wheels are spinning on a constant axis...

But thanks for the advice cos i'll have to check up on the hub situation...the aftermarket threads i got seem to be holding out well enough

cheers

Sounds like they arent sitting hard up against the drum correctly, as the wheel centre bore won't fit over the hub centre. Get the centre bores machined. Renault hub specs are unique, no other manufacturer uses the same diameter. This situation on your car has the potential to be very ugly, as your studs are doing a whole lot more work than they are designed for!!!

Pardon the double-take but are you guys suggesting that the Camira mags may also be placing undue stress on the Fuego's studs? This is the first time I've heard(read) this and now I'm concerned, especially along that 100kph strip on the way to work!

Gonz, it depends if the wheels where appropriatly modified for work on the Fuego. Did you put them on yourself, or did you buy the car with them on it already? I seem to have the impression that Camira mags centre bores are smaller than Renault ones, and they would have to have been machined out to get them over the hub. Easy to check - jack her up, take out all the studs. The wheel be able to rotate on the hub (holding it snug against it as you do) freely, but you should not be able to move it up and down. IE the hole in the centre of the wheel should be a snug fit over the extension on the hub that it locates on. It is this hub centre extension that the weight of the car sits on, the studs only hold the wheel against the hub. Too big a hole in the wheel, and the studs do all the work, too small and the wheel doesnt sit up against the hub properly.
    I'm fairly sure the Renault use a relativly large centre bore dimension, and most wheels have to have the centre holes to get them on to a Renault, but check it if your not sure.

I think mine is a tight fit at the back. My front wheels have got spacers on them to try to fix this problem ive got since i got after market wheels, to no avail.

The problem is that after about 60km/h my steering wheel gets the shakes. Its not that bad but i remember this never happened with my original wheels. Ive had them aligned, balanced with no difference. The spacers made it a bit better but it still happens. They must be damaged in some way....

Oh my god, please say your kidding when you said you have spacers.... Not good - I really hope they at least include extra long studs! If the wheels are damaged, that should have been picked up when they were put on a balancing machine. The spacers are probably to blame, unless you have worn ball joints and/or bushes and the wheels with a wrong offset are screwing about the front end - with original wheels with the right offset the angular stresses placed on suspension bits wernt as bad. Offset is the other part of wheel selection that is critical, and another thing that Renault does a bit differently from other manufacturers. If its wrong, all sorts of extra stress is put on wheel bearings, ball joints, wheel studs etc, as well as buggering the handling and making it torque steer like a bastard!!
    PS I think spacers are illegal, but dont quote me on that.

COL
    Hi All

How come other manufacturers wheels are only located by the wheel studs. What about the Fuego models that have pressed steel wheels. You will find that wheel rims have counter sunk holes and the wheel nuts are also counter sunk so as the wheel studs do not get sheared off with the turning forces.

Regards Col.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Your right, Pug 504s and the like locate only by the studs, but they are special studs and wheel nuts, and the wheel sits totally hard up against the hub, the holes for the studs in the wheel being a snug fit over a small machined area of the stud (a mini version of the hub extension). I've had problems with 504 where the holes in the wheel get damaged and ovalised, causing the wheel to not sit dead centre on the hub.
    Fuego steel wheels are like any other, a hole in the middle (ie easier to get balanced than the mags!) which sits over the hub. If you look closely at conventional wheels (as opposed to the Pug variety), you'll see that where the stud goes through, it doesnt go up against the hub and the point at which rotational (shear) stress is is about 4 - 8 mm away from the hub. The pugs shear stress is right up against the hub where it can take it without bending the stud over like grass in the breeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information