• 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 2 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: Renault 10S for HRA Rally?

Tadpole

Renault 10S for HRA Rally?

Howd'y!

A mate and I are putting together a R10 for Historic Rallying. We are interested in putting together a category 1 car (pre 68) 'cause there are more freedoms so we can go faster.

Advertisement

Can somebody please tell me what is a Renault 10S - apparently some kind of Australia-only homologation special? I note they made more power than a standard 10. How do the two differ?

Also, I may be able to get hold of a R8G head. Would this be of any use to me?

Cheers,
    nik.

Nik,

The 10s has atleast this many changes over a normal 10:

-8 port cylinder head (instead of siamesed ports like the normal 1100)
    -Weber dual throat carburetor (instead of single throat Solex)
    -different manifolds(obviously)
    -9.5:1 compression ratio (instead of 8.5:1)
    -produces 60hp (instead of 46hp)
    -produces 88Nm of torque (instead of 81Nm)
    -has a different instrument panel with tachometer, etc.

Interestingly the standard 1 litre Renault engine has 8 ports, so it seems a bit bizarre that they made the normal 1100 with siamesed ports.

I think they made a 1300cc version of the 8s overseas, so the 1300 engine may have been homologated overseas for the 10 aswell. It might be worth checking out. In south America and north America, Renault often put larger engines in their cars.

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Nik,

I just checked out an American book I have. In 1970 and 1971 the Renault 10 was sold with the 1289cc engine, in the USA.

This means that you would be allowed to use the 1289cc Renault 12 engine, for rallying. For historic rallying you are also allowed to use any carburetor which existed in the period in which the car was sold. You can also use whatever camshaft and manifolds you want.

Basically you could build a pretty hot, twin Weber DCOE carburetored, 1289cc Renault 10, and still be within the rules of historic rallying.

I think someone posted something recently about a twin weber manifold being for sale.

Regards,
    Dave

NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Nik,

I just noticed that you wrote that the pre-1968 rules have more freedom than the pre-71 rules. I was only looking at the pre-68 rules in my CAMS handbook (it's 4 years old), so disregard what I said about the freedoms in my last post. You've obviously got a better idea than me about that.

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

I don't think the Gordini head was homologated for the R10.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

If you can get an R8G head, I don't think it's homologated but it is a very precious item. I expect some R8G owners would almost kill for it - you'd be doing someone a real favour if you acquired it and looked for a needy Gordini owner. If it is an 1100G, I have a potential buyer in Perth I suspect.

I seem to remember that 1300 R10 cars were sold in NZ - the remnants of the Renault group there might even have bits......

Good luck with it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by riviera:
    Howd'y!

A mate and I are putting together a R10 for Historic Rallying. We are interested in putting together a category 1 car (pre 68) 'cause there are more freedoms so we can go faster.

Can somebody please tell me what is a Renault 10S - apparently some kind of Australia-only homologation special? I note they made more power than a standard 10. How do the two differ?

Also, I may be able to get hold of a R8G head. Would this be of any use to me?

Cheers,
    nik.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Here is a potential customer for the 8G head if it is for a 1300!

There are a few differences to the Gordini block, mainly grooves in the block to allow the pushrods to operate properly. Without the high compression 8G pistons to go with the head I feel it would be a bit of a wasted exercise. Also the piston spacing is different between the 1100 and 1300 heads.

If you want to go that way, probably best to use a 5 Alpine motor, parts are probably more readily available as it is a newer motor. Also you can get a replica 8G rocker cover to suit the Alpine head!

Probably read the rules very carefully, as I know that a 17TL entered for the Targa Tasmania had to be virtually converted back to original specs, right down to an engine driven fan instead of electric. Also on TV it looked to be the most standard car in the event, right down to 4.5 inch rims with the original hubcaps!

There was an R10 1300 R1192(or Major depending on the market), it was basically the early 12TL 1289cc motor with single choke carby in Euro/UK/NZ spec, or with a twin choke downdraft for US spec.

The AUS 10S was basically the Euro spec 8S/Caravelle S motor used in the normal 10 body (mods as described by someone previously).

Modern Motor modified a round eye 10 in 1967, with a 956 8 port head, single side draft Weber and a hot cam, so there shouldn't be any problems with period modifications.

Also I have been told that the Lynx manifold for Weber/Dellorto has been reproduced in Victoria as well as Sonic extractors to suit the 10 motor.

Nice to see someone taking an interest in rallying a 10. Have fun!

Simon
    J-man likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

zac
    You guys need a 10? I have one perfect for such a project

One thing though,
    I don't know if it makes any difference but the 10S wasn't released til late 69-70.

David.

HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

g'day - my 10 project is coming along nicely, mainly due to a Hillman fan who is moving his Renault parts to concentrate on his Hillmans! actually, he has a very nice 10 in his collection - lives near Kalbar, contact details supplied by Sunroof - thanks m8!

I picked up a 10S head (complete) plus a 2 barrel Weber, exhaust and inlet manifolds, two 10 wheels with nice skinny tyres, a dashboard section, a 10 badge and a S badge, all for $300.

The head is currently being examined by a local company, will know the result of that soon. Some questions:
    will this head bolt straight on?
    are there mods that should/can be done to the head that will allow the car to run on unleaded?
    what top end gasket set should I buy/where would I source that?
    any other advice?

The dash thingo is better than mine so I will keep that, the other one is not too bad and will be available if someone needs it.
    I assume the S badge is made of unobtainium so I should offer that to someone who needs it, I won't be putting it on my 10 (even though it does have a S dashboard).

Any and all advice appreciated, just remembered, I got a lovely SAAS woodrim wheel for it, about $90 from Supercheap at the moment - if you ever wanted a nice woodrim wheel at a bargain price, now's the chance.

Message to Sunroof - m8, if feeding the multitudes is an issue for a Renault 10 Workshop Day (the 16 day was amazing) do you think we could arrange for the mob to bugger off to the Dugandan Pub for a meal? Twood mean a lot less work for The Boss....so she might change her mind? women sometimes do that, I'm told...

BP

Wow, whatever happened to Mr Riviera, his 10S and the 8G head? A one post wonder from 16 years ago, what a post to resurrect - perhaps he scored a Fiat 1100 instead.
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Do cars have to be built to Australia CAMS specs or can they be built to available international car specs ???

As I do know there were 50 1400 Alconi cars built and sold by Renault Africa in ZA, and that Renault had 5 R10 1.4Lt cars built and under test for possible continued production. There were stories of R10 1.4Lt being sold in the USA, but could never confirm, as well as in Spain. Renault Africa will not release specifications or quantities of past vehicles of Renault in ZA.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

VIP Sponsor

Nowadays anything goes really.
    bowie likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boleropilot View Post
    Message to Sunroof - m8, if feeding the multitudes is an issue for a Renault 10 Workshop Day (the 16 day was amazing) do you think we could arrange for the mob to bugger off to the Dugandan Pub for a meal? Twood mean a lot less work for The Boss....so she might change her mind? women sometimes do that, I'm told...

BP
    Sorry Riviera for pinching your thread.

SWMBO has agreed to that proposal Boleropilot. We'll provide morning and afternoon tea. So all we need to do is arrange a date. I'll email the club and see what Saturday or Sunday is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Sorry Riviera for pinching your thread.

SWMBO has agreed to that proposal Boleropilot. We'll provide morning and afternoon tea. So all we need to do is arrange a date. I'll email the club and see what Saturday or Sunday is available.
    Wish we could come....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information