Safrane and Espace
  • Register
  • Help

Safrane and Espace

Hi All,

Advertisement

I am a huge fan of the Safrane - a car that I would have if there were any in Aus - As it is superior to the already fantastic R25!

Does anyone know if there are any Safranes in Aus? I heard that Volvo was looking at them in 1992 or '93 for Aus, but probably knocked tham off as they would take sales from the bigger Volvo's. As Volvo did in many countries @#$%@!!

Also I have heard rumour that there are a handful of Espaces in Aus? Is this true and are they early or later models?

Thanks in advance

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Luke you are on my wavelength man. I love the espace and safrane also. They are great cars and plenty of them abound in Europe and they go very well.
    A safrane passed me in my 2.0 scenic when I was driving in the Czech Republic like I was standing still. Didnt get a good look at it though. Have been combing <a href="http://www.renaultclub.cz" target="_blank">www.renaultclub.cz</a> that has a few sites about these but not many...Pity they never came to Australia...

1000+ Posts
    Journo in 'CAR' mag. was testing the top speed of a Vauxhall VX220, at 140 MPH, and was overtaken by an Espace. He suggested that it might have been warmed up...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The new Grand Espace is also a great looking cars from the pics on <a href="http://www.renault.com" target="_blank">www.renault.com</a> It looks like a great wagon. Very hi-tech for a people mover. When I ask Renault Australia if this car was coming out here they just said that the car range was continually under review. So who knows maybe we might see this car one day out here.
    It will give the Tarago's a run for the money.... mallet

Hi Daniel,

The problem with the Espace for us is that the market for high end people movers is so small in this country, that it is really not worth the trouble - I saw an ad for a top-line Chrysler Voyager - on special mind you - at $71000 this weekend - who would spend that? And you could still spend more for a 4WD version. The V6 Espace would come in that sort of price - and even though it runs rings around the Chrysler, there is still virtually no market. How many rock bands are there to transport?

When we had the Ateco PR guy at a NSW Cit club meeting we asked if they were going to bring out the C8, PSA's big people mover - his reply was that the bench mark for big people movers in this country was the Kia Sedona - 8+ seats, V6, all mod cons for under $40,000 - the people who want this sort of car simply don't have more money to spend than that. And they care little for the dynamics or ultimate quality of the car - the kids will have trashed the interior within a couple of years too, so flash finishes are out too. It is just a way of carrying as many kids as possible without complaint from home to school and sport - and get a new one in 4 years (as you will need to with the Koreans!).

My two cents

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

You're on the right track, back in 93/94, Motor had an article on the Espace (gee how times have changed) and the same argument was put forth.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Interesting about the Safrane. Had a guy ask me if I was interested in doing a deal with my R25 for his Safrane. I said "no thanks". He felt that his Safrane was bland and had no character like the R25. Went okay though. Seems to me that we Kiwi's do far better in the French car department than our Oz cousins. Wife & I looked at the Citroen C3 (but left hander) today. Plenty of all types of Cits & Renaults about. Not quite so many Espaces, but they are still about.

Paul,

For what it's worth, I think you are right.

Pity, isn't it?

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information