Clio 1.6 Privilege Review
  • Register
  • Help

Clio 1.6 Privilege Review

Allo,

Here's a fresh review for you: <a href="http://www.autospeed.com/A_1404/page1.html" target="_blank">http://www.autospeed.com/A_1404/page1.html</a>

A 307 should be coming soon as well

Cheers,

Advertisement

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Just read that whole article. Fantastic car is all it can be described as.

1000+ Posts
    You would have seen in the article the mention of the plastic front guards - the same as the 307. I noticed it when I leant on the side of my sister's Clio and it popped in!

It seems like a good idea to reduce weight and if you do bump into something it just pops out I guess... albiet with a few scratches in the paint.

I wonder how it affects the safety of the car? Not much I'm guessing - given the Clio has an NCAP rating of 4 out of 5. What do you guys reckon?

Derek

Don't think it's much of a safety concern.

The front fenders don't reallly do much in an impact - it's really the framework under that matters.

The 307 got 88% in EuroNCAP, that's 2% away from 5 stars. Can't be too bad.

What always interests me is why the Clio does so well here, whereas in Europe, it's merely a 3 star also ran. I haven't been in many superminis, but the Clio was quite nice, if a little buzzy at high speeds (that I'll also blame the stupid procraptive gearbox on).

I'm starting to notice the little Clios buzzing around the place though. 307s aren't hard to find in Melbourne either All we need is the C3 to sell.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

The c3 was in the "car" magazine pitted against the VW lupo and something else. It did quite well in that review actually. I have heard mentioned twice something about cheap plasticy finish on the interioe though.
    If I had that kind of money I would buy one though they are a great car. Supposed to be the 2cv replacement but I think there is a lot of difference...

1000+ Posts
    A three star also ran! Where did you get that from? It's up there with the best in the class in Europe, and CAR rated the Sport with the best performance cars you can get. Furthermore, they reckon the diesel 80 bhp Clio is probably the most sensible buy in the UK. And they don't mean boring, they mean real life allrounder stuff. Plus the whole range of engines are pretty perky, they look good, handle well...not bad considering it's being replaced next year.

The rivals, being the Skoda Fabia, Peugeot 206, Ford Fiesta, Rover 25, VW Polo and Seat Ibiza hardly makes it an also ran in its class in my book.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey,

I'm talking about the normal Clio. I've been reading UK mags for quite a while, and I'm yet to find a magazine that will give the Clio a great rating. Car, Top Gear, What Car? (how sensible do you want to get?), Autocar, all seem to say the same. Good, but nothing special. German magazines seem to concur. The only French magazine we get isn't very good for this type of stuff, and I haven't looked at the Italian magazines in detail for a while.

From the list of cars you put down, the Fabia, Polo & Fiesta would beat the Clio (not sure about the Ibiza). I'd add the Fiat Stilo as well. (note that out of the list posted, only one is currently available in Australia). The Clio's packaging lets it down. Engines would be a strong point (good to see the French can now make petrol engines).

When I was looking at getting a Clio, I was surprised at the lukewarm reception the latest update received in Europe. I was just wondering whether it was because it's true, or whether in Australia it has no competition. In regards to the latter, is that why the Astra & Vectra do so well in local reviews?

The C3 is interesting. Most of what I've read seems to say the trim is low rent, but what I find interesting is that some say the ride is good (in the Citroen tradition), whereas others say it's not very good. It probably lies somewhere in the middle (if 307 reports & my experience are anything to go by).

The Clio Sport, as we all know, is a very special case So it doesn't count :p

Cheers,

Justin

Edited to add its competitors.

<small>[ 29 May 2002, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    ... In regards to the latter, is that why the Astra & Vectra do so well in local reviews?
    tsk tsk Do you really have to ask why Holden badged product do well in local reviews?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Hey, the previous Barina & Astra didn't do that well

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Geez Justin,

I didn't put down any car. I really like all those I mentioned (except the Rover, which is poxy), and didn't even suggest that the Clio was better, just that it was not an also ran, which suggests it's below par. I merely suggested that it was class competitive. Even you say that the magazines say it's good but nothing special. Actually, luckily for Europe, there are no also rans in this class!

I used the Euro rivals, because in my book, they are the only ones that are real rivals. I did forget the Fiat and Vauxhall/Opel Corsa (and probably others).

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information