Renault 21 & Laguna in Australia & their History..
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Renault 21 & Laguna in Australia & their History..

Renault 21 & Laguna in Australia & their History..

I love extracting as much info off you all as much as i can as you know.
    I am now interested in knowing more about the Renault 21 and the laguna in Australia.
    I know that the Renault 21 replaced the 18 in life but what car did the Laguna replace? I know the Renault 25 was replaced by the Safrane but it never came out to australia. Pity about that, great car.Does anyone have any helpful info on all this. I have combed the web and found a bit but my thirst for Renaults never ends. I need to know more please. What versions of the Laguna came out here and from what time periods?

Advertisement

Hi Daniel
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Hi Daniel

The Laguna replaced the R21 in 1994.

Regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

Hi luke how are you? Do you know anything about the topic above Im getting interested in the Laguna or the 21 for interest.

Being a Volvo man as well, I have quite a bit of Renault literature. The Laguna brochure is brilliant (very classy), certainly better than the current brochures.

In Australia, Volvo Car Australia brought in the Laguna 2.0 RXE and the V6 (3.0).

83kW for the 2.0 I4, and 123kW for the 3.0 V6. Relaxed performance in the 2.0, good for the V6, but shocking fuel consumption (the PRV thing .

Both were available as 4spd automatics, while the V6 was auto only.

The Laguna did replace the 21, but there was quite a gap between the 21s demise & the Laguna's introduction.

Want any more specs?

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

danielsydney:
    I am now interested in knowing more about the Renault 21 and the laguna in Australia.
    I know that the Renault 21 replaced the 18 in life but what car did the Laguna replace? I know the Renault 25 was replaced by the Safrane but it never came out to australia. Pity about that, great car.Does anyone have any helpful info on all this. I have combed the web and found a bit but my thirst for Renaults never ends. I need to know more please. What versions of the Laguna came out here and from what time periods?
    Daniel,

21 replaced 18, Laguna replaced 21.

In AUS LNC introduced the French Magna (or Renault 21) in 1987 as the TXE. Special version with 2.2 litre (25 motor) and analogue dash as opposed to the 2 litre motor and electronic dash of the Euro TXE version. Only the TXE in manual and auto were sold in AUS. To prompt sales the initial $43K asking price was reduced to $33K in 1988 based on "currency movements" not that they were trying to sell last years stock. LNC went down the gurgler in 1988.

A NZ based distributor Boulogne Motor Imports took over AUS Renault distribution and introduced the Series 2 (curved nose)Renault 21 Marseille in 1989, the Marseille being a special model for AUS, basically the Euro TXE again. 2.2 litre motor and manual or auto trans. This sold through to 1990 before Boulogne Motors blew up.

OK AUS Laguna. Introduced under the Volvo distribution regime in 1995. Two models 2 litre RXE in manual and auto versions, and 2.9 litre V6 only automatic. There were various levels of trim, velour upholstery or sunroof with dead cow. Sales continued through 1996 as the Volvo deal was terminated, with cars being sold at fire sale prices like the $48K Laguna V6 being sold for $35K, an absolute bargain at the time.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Do dont hear about many problems with the series 1 Laguna really. I am wondering why?
    I have heard however that the 21 had major issues with electrics like the 25. Pity, it is a very good car I have heard.

Hi Daniel,

I too have collected many Laguna Brochures, mostly from France and the UK. The models are very similar to the cars we got here for almost two years. It is just a pity that the Volvo didn't try and sell more Lagunas as they are really good cars. The pase II Laguna (not to be mistaken with the current "new look" Laguna) had the new 4 valve V6 engines (194bhp)shared with Citroen and Pugs, and a 2.0 16 valve sport. That is what we shold have got here in Aus.
    The V6 Sport was quite a goer - 0-100km/h in around the same time as the 2.0 Clio Sport! I know which one I would have!!!

Regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

danielsydney:
    Do dont hear about many problems with the series 1 Laguna really. I am wondering why?
    I have heard however that the 21 had major issues with electrics like the 25. Pity, it is a very good car I have heard.
    I'm not sure I always agree with people when they say "major issues with electrics in R25"

For sure, they do have the odd problem, but looking at the age of the vehicle and the high level of electronics they contained, they aren't aging too badly.

It will be interesting to see how todays cars (ie. Laguna), which are now at about the same level of "toys" as the R25 was, cope in years to come.

Ask an owner of a Citroen XM about electricals and they will have a few more stories to tell I think...

As for Series 1 Laguna, V6 fuel consumption is not as bad as suggested. My fathers Laguna gets a lot better consumption (9.5 to 10.5l/100km highway) than my V6 R25 (same engine) - and I have 400cc less capacity!

I would imagine that the newer V6 would be an improvement though!

I can tell you from recent experience that it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the starter motor on a V6 Laguna - my fathers packed it in when we were in Melbourne - thankfully Renault had one in stock and we were able to get it fixed mega-quickly (Thanks to the supreme efforts of Paul Groome @ ********* !)

We had about 6 months warning of it's ultimate demise (slow cranking / sometimes no crank on inital start)

For what it's worth, they arent as scary to change as you would think, quite a quick operation!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Europa:
    danielsydney:
    I'm not sure I always agree with people when they say "major issues with electrics in R25"

For sure, they do have the odd problem, but looking at the age of the vehicle and the high level of electronics they contained, they aren't aging too badly.

It will be interesting to see how todays cars (ie. Laguna), which are now at about the same level of "toys" as the R25 was, cope in years to come.

Ask an owner of a Citroen XM about electricals and they will have a few more stories to tell I think...

As for Series 1 Laguna, V6 fuel consumption is not as bad as suggested. My fathers Laguna gets a lot better consumption (9.5 to 10.5l/100km highway) than my V6 R25 (same engine) - and I have 400cc less capacity!

I would imagine that the newer V6 would be an improvement though!

I can tell you from recent experience that it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the starter motor on a V6 Laguna - my fathers packed it in when we were in Melbourne - thankfully Renault had one in stock and we were able to get it fixed mega-quickly (Thanks to the supreme efforts of Paul Groome @ ********* !)

We had about 6 months warning of it's ultimate demise (slow cranking / sometimes no crank on inital start)

For what it's worth, they arent as scary to change as you would think, quite a quick operation!
    Edit:
    ********* is not a rude word, I was simply mentioning a certain car dealer located in Box Hill! Looks like someone has turned the name of the business into a rude word....?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Bloody hell what a mess, sorry guys

I agree with Europa,

The R25 is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Most of the electrical problems can be repaired by the do-it yourself enthusiast.

Another electric nighmare car is the late 80's Jaguars! Also the Jap cars from this time, and I wont even mention the Fords and Holdens that had digital dash's etc.

I still think the R25 is a car to be reckoned with when compared with today's cars.

There are not many cars that are as quiet on the road, unless you are paying for expensive brands like top Euro and dare I say it Japanese cars.

Now imaging the Safrane as a R25 times 10! They even have hermetically sealed, autoclave doors!

Regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

Just saw a new laguna hatch, White and it looks like a special car. Really nice looking bit of machinery.
    Pity noone can afford one...(well i cant)....Id prefre it to a merc I think..

Yes they are a lovely car.

Has anyone driven one yet?

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

I have run a 21 Marseille for a couple of years, and apart from some early hassles with the auto (which I blame on Oakleigh Nissan, not the car), it has been very reliable, with zero problems with any electrics even with window switchs getting soaked a few times when windows got left open in rainstorms.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Default R21 Phase 1 N.O.S. Front Left Hand Fender Part # RE7751465515 anyone ?

Renault 21 & Laguna in Australia & their History..-001.jpg

Did a search on Google for R21 au and this thread came up. I have this New Old Stock mudguard that came with some other Renault part stock. So might be handy for anyone unlucky enough to have theirs damaged requiring repair and re-spraying. It is in the standard black undercoat, that is starting to show signs of light (superficial) rust in places. Renault sticker shows the part # as RE7751465515 and ND02AK and pencilled that label is R21 Phase 1.

It checks out with the images on Google. I don't know how many are out there, or who might need one sometime, but I would like it to go to an owner at a small price, rather than a dealer, and those that know me well, know that I am easy to negotiate with

Better to go to an owner that will care for it, than grow more serious rust..

May be more parts and trim for the same car among the items I bought at the same time, PM me if interested.

Ken.

Bloody hell, thread resurrection!!!!

Still have that R21 and that R25 parked out on the farm rusting away... They were both excellent cars when in service.
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Still have that R21 and that R25 parked out on the farm rusting away... They were both excellent cars when in service.
    Blame google and my wish for an owner that may need this.

Ken

R25 is a great car. My brother is a mechanic and fed up with new cars. You would be surprised the electrical problems he gets with VW, Mercedes, etc etc that are only a few years old. My R25 V6 1987 is still going strong. That's nearly 30 years old. Also consider the level of electronics essentially introduced into the industry with that car.

Just on another note. I have some brand new R21 mud flats if anyone's interested.

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Is the 25 rusting away in tassie. Ive just bought myself a alpine gta which uses lots of 25 bits. If your looking at moving your 25 on.

Quote Originally Posted by nz90125 View Post
    Is the 25 rusting away in tassie. Ive just bought myself a alpine gta which uses lots of 25 bits. If your looking at moving your 25 on.
    No, they're all in central Victoria... I have a parts car there you can have - you'll be doing me a favour if its towed away!

Does anyone know if any R21Ts (or even better quadra's) ever mad it out to Australia??? All the road tests in the UK back in the day spoke really highly of it, shame we didnt get them out here but i imagine with the shitty exchange rate back them they would have been a very expensive car here!!

Its nice to see some love for the 'goons and the R21, both are cars i want to tick off my bucket list

Quote Originally Posted by cam740 View Post
    Does anyone know if any R21Ts (or even better quadra's) ever mad it out to Australia???

There was a private import 21T back in the 1990's, the owner who bought it in with them couldn't get a job and ended up emigrating back to the UK taking the car back with them. Last I heard it was still in the UK, and likely one of the better ones left.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There was a private import 21T back in the 1990's, the owner who bought it in with them couldn't get a job and ended up emigrating back to the UK taking the car back with them. Last I heard it was still in the UK, and likely one of the better ones left.
    Thanks Simon, they are starting to go for good money over there if they are in any kind of good nick sadly!
    And even "good" ones would be rusty compared to what we are used to here

Quote Originally Posted by achurchett View Post
    Just on another note. I have some brand new R21 mud flats if anyone's interested.

Andrew
    Do they come with mangroves or are they extra?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information