R12 Wiper system
  • Register
  • Help

R12 Wiper system

I am having some difficulty with the wipers on my renault 12. They only work on one speed, and only when the parkers or lights are swithched on. How many speeds are they supposed to have?? And are they made to only come on with the headlights or park lights??? Seems a bit weird to me.
    Anyway, any info anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

Advertisement

They should be two speed, sounds like there are some serious problems with the wiring on that car though. Almost as though a wire has cut through and is robbing power from the main light switch. Find yourself a wiring diagram (appropriate to the model) like from a Haynes manual and trace them from there.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts
    They sometimes have a problem with the switch, too, which requires moving the lever around to get them to work. If so, you need a new switch/lever, as well.

If you need the wiring diagram, I can photocopy and snail mail it to you - I don't have a scanner yet...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks guys.
    I have got it sorted. It appears that it is a series 2 wiper system, wired with standard series one wiring. Really nasty piece of work. The switch is cactus, and needs replacing, but i have rewired the thing. There were a whole heap of melted wires under the dash. Got me stuffed how that happened. I have only had the car for 3 months, and have been doing it up for my brother. It's just getting a road worthy today.

Thread Information