Oil leaks from timing cover
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Oil leaks from timing cover

Hey guys,

got something that has got me baffled. Leaks from the timing cover on my 1647cc motor. It was leaking from all around on the timing cover so removed it and the sump- it was weeping, and (1st time I used the (new) original gaskets)

then using silicon gasket stuff (2nd time) (fairly liberally) put it all back together. still leaked....

Then I pulled it all apart and did it again(3rd time)- with a little more gasket goo- cleaned all surfaces down thoroughly. leaked again.....

Pulled it all out again tonight and cleaned everything down with petrol (all mating surfaces- to remove any traces of oil) and applied silicon (red high temp stuff spec. for this application), and allowed it to skin (as per instructions) before applying it.

Fitted the timing cover and did the bolts up finger tight only- over night and then did the bolts up - just nipped up after tightening up.

I also put the breather from the rocker cover into a bottle (not sealed) to prevent any possible build up of pressure and removed the line from the oil/air separator to the carb and had it going to atmosphere- in case that was blocked in some way.

I had it going for about ten minutes before I noticed the oil leak from the (top only) of the timing cover again..........

Both the breather pipes that were altered had air getting through them- the one from the rocker cover definitely wasn't blocked.

Advertisement

So where the hell do I look now- this last time I thought I was bordering on too much attention to detail-especially the amount of silicon on the top part - where the leaks seem to come from- all mating surfaces there were clean and no big chunks /gouges out of them either- HELP!

If I have to pull this thing apart to get to it again- ie radiator out and starter motor each time- I'll scream! b-y reno's!

Any ideas?

Ben

Out of interest, are you using a normal gasket there as well, or just silicon?
    '05 Pearl Black Mgane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts
    Ben,

Only suggestion I have is to check that the timing cover is flat, by placing on a known pretty flat surface like a sheet of glass, and trying to slip something under it (feeler gauge for example) where it leaks.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

If the leak is around the top of the cover, my guess would be that the rubber gasket (that seals the camshaft chamber under the head) has become dislodged where one end mates with the headgasket. Unless the silicone is applied in that corner with the head on, front cover and sump off it is likely to keep leaking because the mating piece between the head block and head and rubber gaskets has been dislodged. Sounds like a difficult fix without pulling the head. How about application of a nasty big splodge of silicone right where the oil is coming out? That may work.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Simon,

yeah I think you have hit the nail on the head. I have today pulled the head off and it looks like the seal on the front (against the timing cover) was buggered and was the source of the oil leaks. Thankfully everything appears ok- bores are good (no broken piston rings) valves look OK , and pistons don't have much carbon on them. So I'll lap the valves and put them back in, along with a new head gasket and the top oil gallery/timing cover one.

The real bugger is I'd like to put the big-valve head from the 807-10 motor on to it As I have already had all the valve guides etc done and the head fully reco'd, but the water pump etc is on the wrong end! ! I guess I'll just have to sell that head to my brother for his 12....

thanks for your help,

Ben

Check the studs etc, you may just be able to swap over the odds to the other ends!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Ben,

Sounds like teaching you to suck eggs but you can't be too careful getting those two gaskets mated properly. Works like a dream if they are and, as you know, not at all if they aren't.

Very best of luck,

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citron CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Ben, so why can't you put a big valve head on it?
    If you want, e-mail me later and I'll tell you how, I can supply you with big valves that will fit staight in, after fitting larger seats of course. Its quite easy realy.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Thread Information