Fuego
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Fuego

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default Fuego

    Drove a "nice" one owner 86 GTX today. Seemed straight and did everything properly-even had cold air - maybe 14 here today helped.
    Do all Fuegos leak from oil sender switch? This is 3rd one I have seen and same problem.

    Advertisement
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,378

    Default

    If you are talking about the sump oil level sender,yes mine have all leaked. Last week,it jumped out of its hole, and about a litre of oil was sprayed out all over the most sensitive part of my engine bay.Oil even managed to make it to the rear axle! I assumed the plug 'fell out', and was not blown out , and wraped some pink extra thick plumbers tape around it and it has been good for the last week,touch wood.
    Jo

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    If you are talking about the sump oil level sender,yes mine have all leaked. Last week,it jumped out of its hole, and about a litre of oil was sprayed out all over the most sensitive part of my engine bay.Oil even managed to make it to the rear axle! I assumed the plug 'fell out', and was not blown out , and wraped some pink extra thick plumbers tape around it and it has been good for the last week,touch wood.
    Jo
    Thanks for info

    Warren
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,568

    Default Missing metal retaining plate.

    Jo

    Thats a sign of a lazy "mechanic"? that failed to replace the securing plate because its a little hard to put the bolt back, must also have a look at the spare sender I have, should be easy enough to put a rubber O ring in to get a better seal onthe unit.

    The fuel pump has more of a reputation of leaking oil though, in that vicinity.

    One of the reasons that I like to work on my own cars, is that my first experience with a (non renault) mechanic working on the Fuego, was the number of items he didn't replace (too hard?) when they did the clutch on my original car many years ago. (left out two of the three bolts holding the transmission support plate = stripped bolt hole and wrecked nearside CV inner joint! x 2!! and the clutch front cover plate not replaced, all too hard!! ) (At least they paid out for the new CV replacement!!)

    Cheers

    Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 19th August 2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: minor

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,378

    Default

    Securing plate????? never seen one of those in my life.Must be lots of lazy mech's around.Jo

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,568

    Default Yeah

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Securing plate????? never seen one of those in my life.Must be lots of lazy mech's around.Jo
    it was a while before I saw one either - there is one I think on the Fuego I'm wrecking, but its too hard to get in and photograph it today! See page 229 of your Haynes manual item 26 Para 4 where it is mentioned! Nicely bent piece of metal with C piece that holds the oil level sensor to the casing.

    Ken

    Now that I have added the photo of the bracket - The reason it is left off, is that it actually secures behind a larger bracket that is secured back to the nearside engine mount plate at the front of the Fuego engine this outer bracket is bolted to the nearside of the engine - the small securing plate MUST be replaced first with the sensor in place, otherwise the damn thing wont go back correctly, so lazy "mechanic" instead of taking off said bracket (two bolts to engine and one 16 mm nut and bolt onto front plate) simply leaves it off.

    Also looks like you could add a small O ring either under head or where taper ends on the insert to get a better seal, or to do an ace job score the sensor shaft plug with a groove and fit suitable O ring - perfect and no more leaks as long as you put the securing plate back.

    Know any fuego mechanics - search their junk boxes for the plate, should be lots of them around
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego-fuego-oil-sensor-retaining-plate.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 19th August 2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: insert image & add text

  7. #7
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yes - they can leak after a very short time - like less than 18 months after replacement.

    One for Fords that have the same thread that you can buy from SupaCheap are a lot cheaper. As much as I like to support the "yellow diamond", if original parts and after market parts for the Renault don't last, you may as well try the much cheaper ones.

    The rubber diaphram inside eventually perishes or develops a hole like the diaphram in a fuel pump, and under pressure, leakes via the pressed joint between the bakelite inner and the surrounding metal.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,568

    Default Oil sensor? fuel pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sanders
    Yes - they can leak after a very short time - like less than 18 months after replacement.

    One for Fords that have the same thread that you can buy from SupaCheap are a lot cheaper. As much as I like to support the "yellow diamond", if original parts and after market parts for the Renault don't last, you may as well try the much cheaper ones.

    The rubber diaphram inside eventually perishes or develops a hole like the diaphram in a fuel pump, and under pressure, leakes via the pressed joint between the bakelite inner and the surrounding metal.
    Alan not sure what you are referring too, but properly secured the oil sensor should not leak, and new Fuego fuel pumps are available from Ken Bailey at Caravelle in Box Hill - pretty reasonable in price too. Ken has many genuine Renault parts and also best price and quality after market parts manufactured for the Fuego.

    Regards.

  9. #9
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Alan not sure what you are referring too, but properly secured the oil sensor should not leak, and new Fuego fuel pumps are available from Ken Bailey at Caravelle in Box Hill - pretty reasonable in price too. Ken has many genuine Renault parts and also best price and quality after market parts manufactured for the Fuego.

    Regards.
    Completely understood Ken - I was referring to the original posting which referred to the oil pressure switch, not the oil level indicator.
    The reference to the fuel pump diaphram was only to its similarity to the rubber diaphram in the oil pressure switch.
    Have dealt with Caravelle many times and agree their prices very reasonable.
    A couple of after market oil pressure switches bought here have cost a lot more than the Ford type from SupaCheap and have not lasted long at all.

    Sorry for the confusion.

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,568

    Default No problem Alan

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sanders
    Completely understood Ken - I was referring to the original posting which referred to the oil pressure switch, not the oil level indicator.
    The reference to the fuel pump diaphram was only to its similarity to the rubber diaphram in the oil pressure switch.
    Have dealt with Caravelle many times and agree their prices very reasonable.
    A couple of after market oil pressure switches bought here have cost a lot more than the Ford type from SupaCheap and have not lasted long at all.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    No problem Alan, we are always on the look out for a local source for bits and pieces, and Ken Bailey is excellent at ferreting out stuff that will work in our cars.

    Ken

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sanders
    Completely understood Ken - I was referring to the original posting which referred to the oil pressure switch, not the oil level indicator.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Sorry,I was confused too!My oil level senders have always leaked, and my oil presure switches have never leaked.
    Jo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •