MOtor's BFYB 2005 (spoiler)
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    174

    Default MOtor's BFYB 2005 (spoiler)

    Winner in its class (< $40K)

    1. Clio 182
    2. GOlf Gti
    3. Wrx (surprise there!!)
    4. 206 Gti 180
    5. Tiburon

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! qd180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Seven Hills/Down Under
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Damn,

    i knew the reigning champ would do it tough this year.....

    Who won the overall BFYB....

    Im very surprised the WRX is that far down, however i believe its strangle hold on this catergory is now over...at least its to a fello frenchie...

    VW new GTI is very impressive if you can get one

    woops just saw the thread in froggy chat!
    Last edited by qd180; 10th August 2005 at 12:44 PM.
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Clio III will be interesting....

    200hp, but more weight... but 6spd... hmmmmm
    Meh, my next car purchase is already made up!

    I'll give the thread 6 more posts till mantra turns it into a VW advertisement...

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I'll give the thread 6 more posts till mantra turns it into a VW advertisement...
    Bwwhahahahaha.... I gave you renophiles what you wanted ....

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! biologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    Winner in its class (< $40K)
    1. Clio 182
    2. Golf Gti
    3. Wrx (surprise there!!)
    4. 206 Gti 180
    5. Tiburon
    Is that right? is the WRX selling for less than $40K?
    News to me.... so I just checked the Subi web site and...
    OK, they list the base model WRX sedan for $39,990.00
    Cheeky buggers $10 less....

    Still, I'm happy to see the Clio in there, no big suprise really.

    Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    Bwwhahahahaha.... I gave you renophiles what you wanted ....


    Glad it was received as the cheeky little dig it was meant to be!

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! ClioF1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    Is that right? is the WRX selling for less than $40K?
    News to me.... so I just checked the Subi web site and...
    OK, they list the base model WRX sedan for $39,990.00
    Cheeky buggers $10 less....

    Still, I'm happy to see the Clio in there, no big suprise really.

    Cheers,
    It didn't do them any favours in BFYB because in the higher price category the WRX always wins over the underbraked SS commodore.

    Now they put it up against the GTi and the Clio and it dropped back a couple of spots!
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1


  8. #8
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClioF1
    It didn't do them any favours in BFYB because in the higher price category the WRX always wins over the underbraked SS commodore.

    Now they put it up against the GTi and the Clio and it dropped back a couple of spots!
    Yep put the WRX up aganst sports type vehicles that handle like sports type vehicles it has some decent competition. A Commodore (supertaxi), fast in a straight line, and baulks at a corner, what else could one expect. Go the 4 cyl compact performance catagory
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! biologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    867

    Default

    For anyone who hasn't read the BFYB article the CLIO comes in third outright!

    The scoring system they use meant the Subi STi comes in first with 128.8 something,
    the Lancer Evo second with128.0 something
    and the Clio Cup third with 122.

    The next highest were all below 120!
    The Pug 206 180Gti comes in third in its class behind the Golf Gti and the
    Clio but the outright grunt of the Golf is what got it ahead of the Pug.
    Funnily enough the 30-40K class while not the fastest and most powerful
    seemed to hold some of the best handling cars in the test right across the
    range.
    Those darn little hatches!

    cheers,
    Last edited by biologist; 13th August 2005 at 01:08 PM.
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    For anyone who hasn't read the BFYB article the CLIO comes in third outright!

    The scoring system they use meant the Subi STi comes in first with 128.8 something,
    the Lancer Evo second with128.0 something
    and the Clio Cup third with 122.

    The next highest were all below 120!
    The Pug 206 180Gti comes in third in its class behind the Golf Gti and the
    Clio but the outright grunt of the Golf is what got it ahead of the Pug.
    Funnily enough the 30-40K class while not the fastest and most powerful
    seemed to hold some of the best handling cars in the test right across the
    range.
    Those darn little hatches!

    cheers,
    I am guessing the STi is not in the 30-40k class??
    I suppose it's a better score this time than when the Porsche won!!! BF who's buck?? Kerry Packer's???
    Of course a car of $100k plus is going to be a more appealing winner than a <$40,000 french car, or any other hatch for that matter.
    Do Wheels still give a drive to a winner of the competition?? Where they get to be a judge. What a prize that'd be
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! biologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I am guessing the STi is not in the 30-40k class??
    I suppose it's a better score this time than when the Porsche won!!! BF who's buck?? Kerry Packer's???
    Of course a car of $100k plus is going to be a more appealing winner than a <$40,000 french car, or any other hatch for that matter.
    Do Wheels still give a drive to a winner of the competition?? Where they get to be a judge. What a prize that'd be
    Yep!
    The STi Subi was in the $50-80K class along with a bunch of Aussie
    8's and puffer 6's.
    There was a 'lucky bastard' among the judges, an 'advertising suit' as
    he called himself....
    I'd sure love to be a 'lucky bastard' that for sure!
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts brenno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    2035
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    I suppose it's a better score this time than when the Porsche won!!!
    Porsche has never won BFYB. I think you're confusing BFYB with PCOTY.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Porsche has never won BFYB. I think you're confusing BFYB with PCOTY.
    Yes, you are probably right.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! ClioF1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biologist
    For anyone who hasn't read the BFYB article the CLIO comes in third outright!

    The scoring system they use meant the Subi STi comes in first with 128.8 something,
    the Lancer Evo second with128.0 something
    and the Clio Cup third with 122.

    The next highest were all below 120!
    The Pug 206 180Gti comes in third in its class behind the Golf Gti and the
    Clio but the outright grunt of the Golf is what got it ahead of the Pug.
    Funnily enough the 30-40K class while not the fastest and most powerful
    seemed to hold some of the best handling cars in the test right across the
    range.
    Those darn little hatches!

    cheers,
    The Evo would have won for sure if we didn't get the Euro/US spec version and if the factory fitted some semi-track tyres like on the STi.
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1


  15. #15
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,351

    Default

    i realy would love to see a nestalgic comparison ,ie.. pug 205, Renult alpine etc etc etc all these weapons of yester-year competing against moden tech, maye with a handicap due to price maybe.. just to hear what they say in regards to the existing fleet

    Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    174

    Default

    The Evo would have won for sure if we didn't get the Euro/US spec version and if the factory fitted some semi-track tyres like on the STi.
    And whose fault is that - lol

    We actually get the Euro spec. Different to the US spec.
    Apparently Jap spec Evos aren't certified to pass EU or our crash tests (that's a worry).

    VW new GTI is very impressive if you can get one
    There are a few demos just about to come up for sale I think As long as you like white

  17. #17
    wielder of the sword Australdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    spinsterhood
    Posts
    3,410

    Icon10

    Quote Originally Posted by mantra

    There are a few demos just about to come up for sale I think As long as you like white
    hey Nate
    you did your money.....it was 13!

    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"



    '84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    .
    Apparently Jap spec Evos aren't certified to pass EU or our crash tests (that's a worry).
    Not really, its only to do with DOT tyres and the fact that cars are (were?)restricted to 180Kph in Japan so crash test were figured on a lower overall speed.
    As far a BFYB, i met this chick at Sounds on Sunday, and she said......



    - Chris
    ... ptui!

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! Cubits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    i realy would love to see a nestalgic comparison ,ie.. pug 205, Renult alpine etc etc etc all these weapons of yester-year competing against moden tech, maye with a handicap due to price maybe.. just to hear what they say in regards to the existing fleet
    I'd like to see how BFYB is between the new clio and a $5000 205 gti. Heheheheheh...

    Actually, i'd just like to see the apex speeds of the 205 amongst that lot.

    Oh, anyone notice how well the new swift cornered in the slower turns? It molested most of the field (including the fastest, race tyred, commode). Pity it's doughy suspension made it a little hairier in the faster turn (either that or it was vmaxed...).

    Not that i'd own one mind you, but it just goes to show how awful these australian cars are at turning.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts Poo-Go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    As far a BFYB, i met this chick at Sounds on Sunday, and she said......



    - Chris
    LOL, nice one. If I go to sounds sometime soon, Chris, I'll keep an eye out for you - haven't been since Easter.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go
    LOL, nice one. If I go to sounds sometime soon, Chris, I'll keep an eye out for you - haven't been since Easter.
    Yeah, ive been slack lately. I'm finding myself leaving earlier too, so I'm not so tired riding my bike the next day for work. I might just buy a cheap run-about (any clio sports going for less than $500??) and pull an all nighter first at sounds then at good-bar, then go to work early a catch a power nap in the car... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •