The PLIP lives again!!!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default The PLIP lives again!!!!

I begin this thread with a HUGE thank-you to the Gonz!!!

..thanks to his generosity of time & teaching...my car is now locking and unlocking remotely!!!! YEEE HAAA!!!!!

The fuego was the first ever production car to be installed with remote central locking.....not bad for a 1985 model...considering there are new cars out there that don't have this feature!!! ..of course being practically a prototype & more than 20 years old..most have sadly gone to god....but the resurection has occured! (praise the lord!!!!)
    ....& for less than the cost of a night out my car is now plipping away happily again!! (& it works from long distances too!!!)

The restoration has been tastefully and skillfully executed to remain as close to original as possible..and from the outside & interior of the car, you would never know it is not the original plip

Full details of this momentous resurection are available from the Gonz & for Victorian members..his devoted proteges...(Kenfuego & Australdi) "hail Lord Gonz & praise his name!!!"

& I still have 2 unallocated functions I can tinker with...suggetions so far are remote headlights 'see me home function' ... remote boot release...remote wolf whistle....remote neon activation ..any further suggestions mirthfully appreciated....

Advertisement

Thanks again Gonz..you are my hero!!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    ....& for less than the cost of a night out my car is now plipping away happily again!! (& it works from long distances too!!!)
    That either means it cost heaps and you are expensive, or that if it was cheap you'd be an easy on the wallt date

Great to see the Fuego lives on as it was born to. What year model did the PLIP first appear on?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I begin this thread with a HUGE thank-you to the Gonz!!!

..thanks to his generosity of time & teaching...my car is now locking and unlocking remotely!!!! YEEE HAAA!!!!!

The fuego was the first ever production car to be installed with remote central locking.....not bad for a 1985 model...cAus

But, but, but .... My 20 year old CX has remote central locking

Seriously though guys, I've been following the experimenting and creation of this new le'plip device, and I must say it's bloody brilliant. I'd build one for the old CX (it's le'plip is just as unreliable as the unit fitted to the Fuego) except I found it easier when I bought the car just to fit an alarm with Central locking interface (including 2new rolling code remotes).

I'm going to chase up those details of building this le'plip unit now and forward them to the CX list. I'm sure there's many people there that would like a cheap working remote to

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon14

My car is a late '84 build (older than 20 shane ) :p
    & I think the '84's were the first to have it...
    & yep, I'm a cheap date! budget no more than $30 for a night out & if I can get by on $15 I will!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

1000+ Posts

Default Yes but!

My car is a late '84 build (older than 20 shane ) :p
    & I think the '84's were the first to have it...
    & yep, I'm a cheap date! budget no more than $30 for a night out & if I can get by on $15 I will!

Aus
    Of course that doesn't account for the Gonz's extended help on getting the circuits plipping!! Factor in his help in educating us into the mysteries of circuit design, electrical vagaries and some experimentation and the actual cost of components fades into insignificance.

Wait till his bill hits

Still have mine to finish, after working out why the plipper doesn't, may need to order another set but then the cost is pretty low.

Also Fernando has updated his website with additional information photographs and circuit design of the units and the code addressing to change the radio wave form for individual combinations and this will save time for those with some electronic savvy.

Thanks Fernando.

Link to site. http://users.tpg.com.au/ferngonz/plip/
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 21st July 2005 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add link

Default plip reserection

just wait till he gets back to south aus ill be his first cutomer for my chariot.
    im only dissapointed that we cant make him some money from all the gonzs hard work timk

OTE=Kenfuego]Of course that doesn't account for the Gonz's extended help on getting the circuits plipping!! Factor in his help in educating us into the mysteries of circuit design, electrical vagaries and some experimentation and the actual cost of components fades into insignificance.

Wait till his bill hits

Still have mine to finish, after working out why the plipper doesn't, may need to order another set but then the cost is pretty low.

Also Fernando has updated his website with additional information photographs and circuit design of the units and the code addressing to change the radio wave form for individual combinations and this will save time for those with some electronic savvy.

Thanks Fernando.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm gonna have to teach you guys a thing or two lol. Renault first introduced remote control central locking on its' top of the range vehicles in the 1982 model range (ie produced from October 1981 onwards). This would've comprised the R18, R20, R30 and Fuego. My first Fuego was manufactured in November 1982 (registered in NZ in Jan 1983) and it had the remote control. Early cars had the receiver in the dash but from 1984 model year (facelift Fuego - October 1983 onwards) the remote sensor was between the sunvisors. The name "PLIP" comes from the guy who came up with the idea (Phillipe L.. I forget the surname). The idea of using infra red sensors remained until the 1990s when they changed to radio frequencies due to the temperamentality of using IR. Of my 3 Fuego's, I only have 1 original remote (long since broken). All cars have alarms connected to the central locking, so same result!!

Icon4

Wow! ..seems even back in the eightys NZ got a better range of renaults than we did!! the turbo fuego...the V6 clio....& 82 build fuegos with plips!!!!
    why is this so!!!!!

My first fuego was an 83 or 84 build (I think) & it was sans le plip! NOT FAIR!!!!
    ...I don't think we got plips here until 85...but I could be wrong!

Aus
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Plip didn't arrive on the Australian Fuego until early 1984. It was a strange transition model with the later type brown or blue spotted cloth and cloth door trim, and the body coloured slat grille but without the headlight wipers and fog lights which arrived on the late 1984 cars.

1000+ Posts

Default Link added

Link added to my earlier post and repeated here

http://users.tpg.com.au/ferngonz/plip/

very comprehensive

also Di, the advertisement posted with "bobbie" and dated 1/9/84 has the following spiel

Quote [Dashingto your new Fuego on a rainy day, you press a button on the tiny gadget attached to your keyring. Instantly, there's a reassuring click as both doors unlock. Allowing both you and your passenger to dive straight in without fumbling for keys.

"le Plip" as Renault calls it, is just one of the many civilised touches on the new model Fuego. You will also find luxurious new fabrics inside. And a new, sleeker aero-slat grille at the front. To that you can add all the standard luxury features the Fuego has always enjoyed; air conditioning, electric windows, central locking, AM/FM stereo radio cassette, alloy wheels and Michelin TRX tyres.

Yes for all of its comfort, the Fuego's potent two litre alloy engine, five speed gearbox and front wheel drive make it a true European thoroughbred. With handling that proves Japan still has a lot to learn. For $16,795 you get a car that opens up faster than anything else on the road.]unquote

Pictures a nice red Fuego (no fog lights or headlight wipers) and a mock up of the plip main title is;

THE NEW FUEGO. THE FASTEST 2 DOOR CAR IN THE WORLD. It actually unlocks its own doors for you!!

same add was reprinted in Modern Motor November 1984.

and in the accompanying article - quote[The 1984 Fuego sports new crushed velour trim, a relocated digital clock and, most notably, a remote-control door locking system. This latter feature, named PLIP after its inventor, Paul Lipschutz, consists of a portable sender unit about the size of a matchbox, and a receiver mounted just above the interior rear vision mirror. All very compact, and darned handy when its raining out or your hands are full. Renault claims it's the first such system on a production car anywhere in the world.] unquote

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 22nd July 2005 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add article modern motor.

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    I think I'm gonna have to teach you guys a thing or two lol.....

The name "PLIP" comes from the guy who came up with the idea (Phillipe L.. I forget the surname).
    Paul Lipschutz. Consider yourself taught
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon14

Thanks Dad!!!
    Aus
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Paul Lipschutz. Consider yourself taught
    Thanks for teaching me!!!!
    My history book wasn't handy

Default The Plip...

Ah! Le Plip.
    How I well remember back in the bad old Renault/Volvo days. The almost procession of Renault 19 owners who would belly up to the service manager's
    desk and demand something be done immediately about their Plip remotes.

Then the joy of seeing the owners slink away with their backsides verbally kicked when it was pointed out to them that the "Soprano" level window tint they'd just had done prevented le Plip from working!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Then the joy of seeing the owners slink away with their backsides verbally kicked when it was pointed out to them that the "Soprano" level window tint they'd just had done prevented le Plip from working!
    No wonder Renault service has such a bad reputation. A more caring suggestion would have been to operate it through the windscreen after pointing out the error of their ways with the tinting.......

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    No wonder Renault service has such a bad reputation. A more caring suggestion would have been to operate it through the windscreen after pointing out the error of their ways with the tinting.......
    Sadly that probably wouldn't have worked either, the IR receiver being located above the rear view mirror meaning the key needs to be aimed from the side or rear. Strategically placed mirror perhaps? :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Default Plip stories

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Sadly that probably wouldn't have worked either, the IR receiver being located above the rear view mirror meaning the key needs to be aimed from the side or rear. Strategically placed mirror perhaps? :-)
    While stripping out the circuit board, I had to remove the red plastic cover and when I examined the inside I found that a spider or insect had built a nice thick whitish web on the inner surface and that was obviously the reason that my operative plip worked so poorly when I tested it with new batteries just after I got the car.

It was so bad that I had to put it against the side window and move it round until the beam activated the circuit.

The funny thing is that I have now modified that circuit in anticipation of the new working plip so can't now check to see how far away it would work with a cleaned receiver window and fresh batteries!!

Di's new plip works great, she was dashing around all over the place to see how far away it would operate

Icon12

I can now unlock my car from inside my house!!!
    ...haven't tried down the end of the street yet

Aus
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Default ExTrEmE pLiPsTeR !!!

I can now unlock my car from inside my house!!!
    ...haven't tried down the end of the street yet

Aus

Di, you crack me up. Your ExTrEmE pLiPsTeR distance challenge is reward enough for the effort!

BTW Ken, I've added a diagram to the Plip page I think you'll find familiar.

Last edited by The Gonz; 25th July 2005 at 09:30 PM.

Default New Key

Don't suppose anyone knows a cheap way of getting a new key for a plip- my wife 'misplaced' mine.

Icon10 New Key!

I reckon KenFuego might sell you his soon enough!

I had a pretty close look at the old plip's coding whilst at Fuego Central

It wouldn't be hard at all to check your plip receiver's coding (neat shallow depressions drilled around the TEA 5500's pins to cut tracks) and recode Ken's or someone else's to suit yours.

No job too small/big/hard.
    Last edited by The Gonz; 30th July 2005 at 11:00 PM.

Default Add the ceramic caps if funky!

No, this isn't a plug for disco dancing flower pot men!

RobMac pointed out that to play it safe and avoid possible high frequency effects, the 0.1 uF ceramic capacitors I have shown in the original schematic should be added. AustralDi and KenFuego, since Jaycar forgot to give you these, don't worry unless you start seeing the circuit act "funky", with a mind of its own.

It's a precaution that may set you back an extra 10c for those still to implement the design. I've updated the wiring diagram from what we did at Fuego Central to what the original design intends, now including these caps at the link below.

Thanks, Rob!
    Last edited by The Gonz; 4th August 2005 at 12:57 AM.

Icon10 funky fuego

So far, the only thing acting "funky" with a mind of it's own in my car is....me
    ...and it'll take more than 10c to fix that!!!
    ....if it's possible
    Aus
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Default Other Bits Coming Alive!

The PLIP isn't the only thing working that wasn't. I decided, in pure frustration and with nothing to lose, to dismantle my temperamental driver's side electric window switch and found that the spring-loaded contacts inside where showing dark corrosion as with points or sparkplugs. A quick polish with an emery board of all surfaces forming the switching circuit and I was able to press the switch into one piece again.

I'm not even using glue, but the switch is working 100%...so with a little patience and care you can avoid having to replace these switches.

...or local Froggers can send their dead ones to a worthy cause - ME!

...speaking of charity cases, I don't suppose anyone has a spare PLIP receiver window or has come up with an alternative, neat fitting panel to cover the hole?
    Last edited by The Gonz; 4th August 2005 at 01:01 AM.

Icon10 UHF Plipsters Unite!

Congratulations to our second eXtReMe PlIpStEr - The Gonz

Yeah, I've finally fitted my own and on my next visit to Melbourne I'll be giving AustralDi a Plip distance challenge.

Bring it on, Fuego Chick!
    Last edited by The Gonz; 7th August 2005 at 01:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information