Help with RSC 182 Fuel (95 or 98 RON???)
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Help with RSC 182 Fuel (95 or 98 RON???)

Hi

Advertisement

What fuel should I be using with my RSC 182? I have seen mixed information regarding 95 and 98 RON being suitable.

cheers,
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by bacworth
    Hi

What fuel should I be using with my RSC 182? I have seen mixed information regarding 95 and 98 RON being suitable.

cheers,
    Brent
    What does the owners manual say?
    I assume it says at least 95RON.

Tadpole

When I got the car i had a quick look through and couldn't find it, very difficult manual to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by pastpugdriver
    What does the owners manual say?
    I assume it says at least 95RON.

Tadpole

If I recall correctly, my manual says 98 RON. I have a 172, but I would assume it would be the same for a 182.

The owners manual is very clear 98 RON is the preferred fuel for the 182.
    This is the first thing I looked for in the paperwork and can be found
    in the little owners manual rather than the big thick one that comes
    with the car.

In WA that means only BP Ultimate

Over east you have more choices of suppliers of 98 RON fuels.

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

98 Ron is the go

i found my 172 liked BP Ultimate more the Optimax too... was a noticable difference

I think you'll find it's actually 95+

I have varied between Ultimate (98) and Vortex (95), and to tell you the truth, the seat of your pants difference is negligible.

All Renaultsport Clio's Mk1, MkII, MKIII should use 98 ron, either Optimax or BP Ultimate. A lot of the Vortex stuff is still 95 ron I believe, so be aware

Well I can't comment on the performance difference between 95 and 98 RON
    fuels in a Clio 182 as I've never tried 95 RON in mine.
    But I do know that the manual clearly states that the RSC 182 should be
    only be supplied with 98 RON fuel. No mention of 95+ in the manual.

At times, obviously, its hard to obtain 98 RON fuel, and 95 is the next best
    option. Some members have mentioned in the past that they have used
    lower RON fuels when 98 hasn't been available and no obvious harm has
    occurred, which is reassuring as many WA country fuel agents don't
    stock 98 RON fuel.

But I'll stick with 98 RON while I can get it.

Cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Yep! 98 is the go.
    Vortex does have a premium grade I'm not certain but I think it's purple or some other colour. I've been really suprised with fuels lately...I ran the fuego on optimax from the time it (optimax) was brought out & used to swear by it. However lately I have felt that the car runs a little free'er again on ultimate..but the biggest suprise has been the vortex...my cars used to HATE Caltex (ran like dogs!) but it seems quite happy on the vortex & my wallet appreciates the price savings. Maybe Australia is finally being supplied with some decent fuel...I dunno
    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Yep! 98 is the go.
    So what does the sales brochure mean when it says "premium recommended"? This seems non specific whether it is an Expression or an RS. I can see why people are confused.......

Simon,
    most of the petrol renaults on sale now are designed for 95+, however the renaultsports are the exception. they prefer top shelf
    I will have to check exactly what brochures say what when I get to work t'moro if I get time.
    cheers
    Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Tadpole

Simon,

I assume you mean Vortex 98 not normal Vortex? Appears like BP Ultimate is the most popular.

cheers,
    Brent

Hi

cheers,
    Brent
    I have a rsc 172 and found that the manual recommended 98ron.However accompanied with my manual was a simplified manual called "the clio drivers handbook" and that recommends 95-96ron which I have been using since purchasing the car 6 months ago, and I have had no problems at all.

Simon,

I assume you mean Vortex 98 not normal Vortex? Appears like BP Ultimate is the most popular.

cheers,
    Brent
    I think it was "Clio Cup" that got confused with the different Vortex fuel. I've never tried Vortex 98. But my ancient RS DNA donor only likes running on Ultimate 98, on the Mobil 8000 it just ran quite badly which I think caused a lot of my early setting up problems until the link with fuel was ascertained. Certainly the trip for the recent Vic FCD was the first time ever I looked up where servo's would be just to make sure I could get Ultimate 98 on the way to Melbourne. With my other non fussy cars anything goes :-)

Tadpole

The "Clio Drivers Handbook" on page 14 of 18 say 95 or 96 RON.
    The "Renault Sport Clio" on pg 12 of 13 say refer to the label on the inside of the fuel filer flap and guess what no octane rating on the inside of the fuel filler flap.

More confusion....

The 172 manual clearly states 95 or 98 for all models apart from 2.0 16v, which is 98 only. It's in chapter 6 somewhere

I take back my earlier comments! - but hey, I have regularly used Vortex, and never had any problems with pinging etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    Yep! 98 is the go.
    Vortex does have a premium grade I'm not certain but I think it's purple or some other colour. I've been really suprised with fuels lately...I ran the fuego on optimax from the time it (optimax) was brought out & used to swear by it. However lately I have felt that the car runs a little free'er again on ultimate..but the biggest suprise has been the vortex...my cars used to HATE Caltex (ran like dogs!) but it seems quite happy on the vortex & my wallet appreciates the price savings. Maybe Australia is finally being supplied with some decent fuel...I dunno
    Aus
    I agree with the Vortex improving. In the past I used the 95 RON in my old car and it ran extremely ordinary. Since Vortex 98 has come out, the stuff is much better for some reason.

Don't know why but in my 182 I can't crack under 10L/100km with Ultimate yet Vortex 98 and Optimax sits around 9.2L/100km. I do very similar driving each week so it must be the fuel.
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

Tadpole

I'll add a few pennies here regarding fuel quality.

When I went to Melbourne/Canberra recently I got an opportunity to try other "premium" premium fuels (Ultimate is the ONLY 98 RON fuel in Adelade). I tried the vortex98, optimax and ultimate - and I have come to the following conclusions:
    Optimax is CRAP. It is useless for the extra price and the S3 does NOT like it one little bit.

Vortex98: Feels allright (similar/same to Ultimate) but the S3 drinks more of it on the highway (110 cruise control)

Ultimate: As the name says my personal preference is that Ulimate is the ultimate 98 RON fuel available in Australia.

As for what to feed the RCS - when I was seriously considering one I asked about this as was told 98 all the way - well ultimate was the response from the local dealer - other "premium"(95) fuels in a pinch - but dont drive hard with those on board.

M

Thread Information