Two new racecars in NZ - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 21 First 12345678915 ... Last
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Two new racecars in NZ

Fellow Frogger!

The Hook joint in synchronised pairs through the same angle results in the output rotation exactly the same as the input rotation, while the drive shaft itself will be subject to uneven rotational speed, which should not pose any problems if it is straight.

Advertisement

Fred.

I had another race day today, last for the year, until 14 Jan 2012.

It was the first race with the modified brakes. That is with 2 separate master cylinders and a balance bar in between. A few teething trouble issues but it works magic. I tried it out on Friday and with a brisk run the first time I had the discs in front on 180 deg C and the rears on 90. A bit of adjustment brought the rears up to 100 and then finally I had temps of 170 front and 130 rear. That is how I went to the track.

The race day was dry so the race went normal as the others did and unfortunately I could not test them in the wet. That was actually what this mod was done for because the previous race in the wet was very difficult because of lock ups. I will post more detail in the Tech of how did it.

Regards
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

The weather is sh!t the whole week and I am bored. I am trying to prepare for racing next week.

Just a bit of useless information. I had a noisy tappet and after further investigation I found the problem.

I made my own push rods from Titanium because it is cheaper than those from Mecaparts. Titanium has nil resistance to wear so I had to use old Sierra pushrods and I cut the ball tips off them and turned them into a little mushroom. 16 pushrods were used because the G has a ball on both ends. I drilled the new pushrod the same diameter and inserted the stem of the ball into the hole and crimped it with a crimper to keep them in.

One of them failed. I think the seat of the little ball was slightly too small and it hammered itself into the Titanium splitting the tip open as can be seen. Another one of my ideas that failed although it has taken a huge amount of stress in the race car and it is only the first of 16 tips that failed. I will do it again if I can get Titanium. (these was bought in ZA). In the mean time I need some more pushrods because I will make the replacement out of 6mm stainless steel tubing using the same principle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two new racecars in NZ-img_0068.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-img_0069.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-img_0070.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    In the mean time I need some more pushrods because I will make the replacement out of 6mm stainless steel tubing using the same principle.
    Have you tried the Renault parts shop in the Bay of Islands?

Default Results

Hi All,
    Our Racing calendar moved us down to Taupo International racetrack last weekend and fortunately all ended well, including the weather.
    I should mention that the rear brakes are still R8 although I now have the balance bar operating and the balance between front and rear is adjustable, magic. I am working on the big rears but have not yet installed them. This time last year my best lap time was 1:59:89. It was a target all weekend to break the 2 min barrier. So, how did it go with the new brakes and balance bar? New best time of 1:57:68. Two seconds is a huge improvement. That is about 28 meters a lap. How much of it is me and how much of it is brakes, I wouldn't know.

Because of the huge grid, 9 different classes of racing we only had 2 laps for practice and qualifying. That was 1 warmuplap, 2 flying laps and then the cool down lap. I managed to qualify 10th on the grid out of 27.

Grid> 1) Car 910 2) Car 42
    Alfa 1700cc Volvo 2315cc

3) Car 49 4) Car 122
    Alfa 1712cc Ford Esc 1600cc

5) Car 71 6) Car 317
    ford Esc 2000cc Ford Esc 2050cc

7) Car 21 8) Car 833
    Porsche 2497cc Alfa 1712cc

9) Car 891 10) Car 866
    Alfa 1712cc Renault 1430cc

11) Car 383 12) Car 88
    Alfa 1962cc Alfa 1712cc

13) Car 20 14) Car 233
    Truimph 1998cc Alfa 1712cc

15) Car 64 16) Car 185
    MGB 1950cc Alfa 2000cc

17) Car 169 18) Car 68
    MGB 1800cc MGB 1892cc

19) Car 79 20) Car 404
    Alfa 1962cc BMW 2002Tii 2000cc

and the rest Lotus 7, Cortina GT, MGB, Jaguar XJ6, Alfa, MGB.

When racing started I managed to jump to P7 because there is nothing that accelerates like a Gordini. Then the action started. There were 3 cars behind me on a desperate chase, and they are quicker than me, 2 Alfas and a MG. I managed to hold them off for 7 of the 8 laps when Alfa no.833 pressured me into a mistake. I went wide and he got in next to me. That was the end of my 7th and I finished 8th.

I will upload some videos soon but it will be a boring race to watch because all the action was behind me amongst the 3 cars mentioned. I will edit some of the other footage as well.

Regards
    Frans.

The columns are not playing nice. You will have to read it as 1) car number and directly below it the car and cc'c. There are 2 cars in each row Eg row 1 is car no 910 and car number 42. Car no 910 is an Alfa 1700cc and car no 42 is a Volvo with 2315cc etc. etc.
    Last edited by Frans; 19th January 2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Explaining the crooked columns.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Whats happened to Johan? I'm surprised the weather cleared I was thinking after your last post how crap it is in Melbourne and you'd get it. Good to see a two second improvement, how much better would it go with a racing box.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Hi John,
    Johan had a bad start to the season in that he was sick with the opener in Sept and then the 2nd round in Dec the car packed up. A valve seat came out and split in half and bounced around doing a lot of damage. Because of the festive season everything was closed and he only got the head back this week.
    He should be back at the next round first weekend in March.

What do you mean by a racing box? Do you perhaps know something I don't?

Regards
    Frans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi John,
    Johan had a bad start to the season in that he was sick with the opener in Sept and then the 2nd round in Dec the car packed up. A valve seat came out and split in half and bounced around doing a lot of damage. Because of the festive season everything was closed and he only got the head back this week.
    He should be back at the next round first weekend in March.

What do you mean by a racing box? Do you perhaps know something I don't?

Regards
    Frans.
    I think he meant one of those options I mentioned earlier, like a Hewland or similar (which you said is out of the budget).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I think he meant one of those options I mentioned earlier, like a Hewland or similar (which you said is out of the budget).

Exactly what he said both times.

How many sec's faster would you expect if you had that out of budget box, I was curious to know how much difference there was. In full budget racing I would of thought only tenth or hundreths of a second but for you not sure how many full seconds.

Believe me I don't know anything you don't, I wish I knew what you do. On second thoughts I did suggest you put a second camera facing out the back window, but thats only for our benefit, but then you'll have to learn how to edit all footage so we can have the same experience as you seeing who your chasing and who's chasing you.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Hi,
    John, re. the gearbox, I wouldn't be able to say what times will be possible with a racing box. I have been tempted to use the 5 speed close ratio box out of my Gordini but that will be a stupid move.

I have uploaded 2 videos last night. The first one is the main race and because it is about 16 minutes long I have edited it a lot. Everything happened behind me. John, I will try and get a cam pointing backwards, it would have been good viewing. You will see where I go wide on the last lap and the damn Alfa takes me. My fault!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11EIT...EunCHvLeMMu2dH

The 2nd one is of one of our handicap races. I don't like them at all. I can't see the method of the calculation because you will see that the same red Alfa, that is quicker than me, he was ahead of me on the starting grid and he overtook me on the last lap, is now suddenly 2 rows ahead of me! Then when I am having a go at my equal, green Alfa, the quicker guys come from behind and split us and with the traffic he disappears into the distance. I do it halfheartedly. At the end of the video where the white Porsche overtakes me is a mishap that is not seen on the camera. As we came around the corner the green Alfa was standing sideways in the middle of the track. He spun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0LGc...cELUUswd1Sw1cZ

Regards
    Frans

Default Racing feedback

This weekend was the low point of this season so far. A lot of things went wrong.

First it was the weather on Saturday. Met services warned about a bomb that would meet us on Saturday. Well it didn't hit us dead center but we got a lot of it. It was cold, wet and wild winds. With practicing and qualifying coming up and the track still wet, I could at least test the brake setup. That was good. Positive straight hard braking remained good and the car never stepped out of line. Times was bad due to a head wind on the straight. It became scary! Hundred and plenty Ks an hour down the straight in that wind and wet. I qualified 14th out of 24.

Then racing started. Now there is a MGBGT V8 that gives me a very hard time and on about lap 4 he managed to pass me on the short back straight. I knew that if I allow him to do that he will gain even more on the main straight that follows this. At the end of the back straight he was ahead of me but I outbraked him and pulled up alongside him again having the inside line. I think he didn't expect me or see me because he then turned in and I had nowhere to go. I hit the brakes again and almost missed him. We touched, my left front fender to his right rear bumper. I spun him around in front of me and missed him in the following carnage. In the mean time the back markers passed me and by the time I got going, there wasn't much to salvage. I came 17th and he came last. There weren't any ill feelings from his side or mine so all is good.

On Sunday morning the weather turned and the most beautiful day dawned. I changed sparkplugs during the week to Autolite Racing plugs. My mind told me that the times was bad yesterday due to these new plugs. So I started fiddling again and decided to go back to my NGK BP9ES ones that served me well this season. I touched up on the oil level and placed the cap over the filler hole to check the level after a few minutes. It was OK so I closed the engine. Then racing started and it started OK. I almost lost it on the entrance to the Esses but managed to save it.(see the Youtube clip). That same Alfa that pushed me in the previous race managed to pass me. A good few laps started to develop and I managed to take my position back from the Alfa and had a good dice with a Jag. I noticed the MG of yesterday alongside the track, retired. Then on the 2nd last lap I lost power. Only 3 cylinders was working. That was my first DNF for the season! Upon removing the engine cover everything was covered in oil. It was raining down on the ground. "@sshole forgot to TURN the cap when he checked the oil. He just put it over the hole to prevent dust going in." Maybe that loss of power was a little luck because I could have lost the engine. I phoned Ross and caught him not far away from his house. He then went back and got his R8's cap for me. Thanks Ross. The reason for that loss was a Burnt Spark Plug. Why it burnt on Sunday and not in any of the previous races I don't know. So I replaced the Autolites for the next race.

The last race started and ended without magic and it was good to have survived this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9P6f...cELUUswd1Sw1cZ

Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two new racecars in NZ-img_0535.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-img_0536.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-img_0540.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

And how was the handicapping this time?
    I am still at a loss to understand what happens to my personal updates!
    There was a South African ex pat who once said to me "No, shit does not happen, some arse hole creates it", wonder who that was?
    Last edited by kiwia110; 6th March 2012 at 07:05 PM.

kiwia110,
    I'll resume your personal update as soon as my secretary returns to her post

Unfortunately the video of the MG shows a "File corrupt" message if I down load it. I will have to wait for the kids to fix that one if it is possible.

Frans

Default Last Event!

This was a one day event and all 4 times out on the track had to be fitted in on 1 day. I don't like it. I can't handle the rush.

Overall the day was OK again with no high nor low points. In the scratch race I qualified 12th and finished 12th. I managed to overtake Brian Yates in the Porsche and desperately trying to keep him behind me in 12th. Again I failed as he got a better drive out of the last turn on the last lap and in the race to the flag he managed to beat me by 0.007 seconds. That made me 12th again.

I do have plans for the following season but then I might sit it out. I would like to refresh my motor, do a 3.7:1 gearbox, fit the Fuego rear brakes and finish Ross's motor for the Dauphine. Time is a bit scarce at present and I will have to see what becomes reality at the start in September.

Johan isn't very happy at present because he couldn't complete a race this year. He is talking of stopping or some nonsense.

I will see where I finished this year and post the results.

Thanks for following the saga.

Frans.

Hi

Don't forget there is also a Matra on its way.!!

Harry
    REAR ENGINES IS LIFE!

I for one, hope neither of you stop. Keep up the updates.
    KB
    KB

Default 2012 Results.

Hi All,
    Prize giving has come and gone and below are the final results for the season that ended in May.

The results are divided in 2. Top part is the AES group which is the slower group (me) and the last group is the Arrows group (fast).

Season opens in September but not 100% sure if I will do this season. Still thinking about it.

Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Frans,

11th out of 54, with one of the smallest engined cars in the series,
    Excellent!
    I presume the Matra restoration is going to eat into your racecar preparation time.

Cheers, Henry

Default Re-living the past season

I went onto the www. and found some unknown pics of me and Johan. I am not so sure if this calling back the past or just bragging. Enjoy it anyway.
    Frans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two new racecars in NZ-ellerslie.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-frans1.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-frans2.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-frans3.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-frans4.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-frans5.jpg  

Two new racecars in NZ-frans6.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-fransjohan.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-johan-3.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-johan1.jpg  

More of the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two new racecars in NZ-johan2.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-johan4.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-johan5.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-johan6.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-pitbaw.jpg   Two new racecars in NZ-pitcolour.jpg  

Two new racecars in NZ-exhbandage-010.jpgTwo new racecars in NZ-exhbandage-001.jpgTwo new racecars in NZ-exhbandage-002.jpgTwo new racecars in NZ-exhbandage-005.jpgTwo new racecars in NZ-exhbandage-006.jpgTwo new racecars in NZ-exhbandage-007.jpgJust another wake-up post to show that we still exist here in NZ.

The last 2 1/2 years of racing and fooling around took its toll on a few things. One of them is the extractor. So from a beautiful white branch of bananas when new it turned into a rusty pipe maze. So I got some exhaust bandage for us for Christmas and transformed it back to something more acceptable. My darling wife that actually hates the car offered to help me with this as she is so good in dressmaking. She can do this better than me without creating creases.

Unknowingly I did'nt know how this glass tape makes you itch!! We were re-named to Itchy and Scratchy after this episode and I'm in deeper debt now. (Trying to win back some brownie points).

See what it looks like now.

Regards and a Happy New year to all.

Frans.

Thanks for some great screen savers from your previous posts Frans. My work computer never looked so good
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn Lebhorn View Post
    Please keep going with the updates Frans, this is easily one of my favourite threads on here.

Oh for some straight line speed. I'd have loved to see the look on the face of that guy in the 944T when you took back your place on the last lap.... brilliant!
    944T? Having owned a 944 this one looks like a cooking variety 924 to me, skinny guards and all. Having said that they are a brilliant handling car

I went racing yesterday And entered an unknown group that that had their 2nd last event in their season. I was clearly out classed because the cars is called "Racing Saloons B". The types of cars is real fancy stuff. "Racing saloons A" were the muscle cars. My competition was the likes of Subarus, Lotus Egige, Elise, bags full of BMWs, Ford Fairmont,Renault Megane R26 F1,Datsun 240Z, to name a few.
    In race one I started from P25 and finished in P23. That was on a damp to dry track with plenty of grip. Then the rain came down in buckets. After a waiting period the racing started again and then, while still raining, I started in P23 and finished in P15. Now that is not because I'm good in the wet, South Africans can't be good in the wet, it brings me back to the locked diff. I might sound like a salesman promoting his product but can there be another reason for this?
    The 3rd race was cancelled because the whether turned worse and it was like a monsoon.
    It was a good day, first time with this car on this track, fell off twice during qualifying but no damage and brought the car back in one piece with a dead battery or maybe dead alternator.
    Frans.

Frans, was that the racing alternator you stuffed?

I don't understand your thoughts about the locked diff, do you think it is better to have in the wet or worse?

In other news, I have just found out Albin off road are doing now custom dog gearsets, not sure what price, but if you want to save an expensive 353 'box, it's probably worth a look. They have ready made sets for a number of cars, pretty sure R8G is not amongst them, but who knows?

http://www.albinsgear.com.au/
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 21st April 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Page 5 of 21 First 12345678915 ... Last

Thread Information