• Register
  • Help
Page 21 of 27 First ... 11171819202122232425 ... Last
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Two new racecars in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Wow.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, in communism where we, the people, owned everything you would have been thrown in jail for setting fire to public property. Not a bad idea.
    Good idea, communism isn't all bad.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Hi All,

I have just returned from my first test drive and it feels back to normal. I will do a few final checks as the week goes on.

In the end I did go against my decision did a little change based on the analysis of the heat treatment guy. The new spindle's hardness was increased from 44 Rockwell to 48 Rockwell. For now I can only say that the proof is in the pudding.

I'll enter for a non points round next Sunday and based on the outcome I will then do my first points round 2 weeks later. This race next Sunday is a little cheaper so it will do fine for testing.

I will follow up on this.

Regards, Frans.
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans,

Thanks for the update. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Hi All,

It is all go for this Sunday's racing. Johan's car is up and going as well and he says it is flying now with the bigger valves that is properly seated. Unlike previously when they were sitting proud and the throats were not adapted to match the valve seats.

Keep in mind that this is a test session for us and although full-on it will not count towards points in our series. The track we are racing on is the small "Club" circuit and it is a first for us. This is a track that is designed for drifters that consist out of a right hand horseshoe 180 deg after the start followed immediately by a 100 deg left hander and then immediately after that another 180 degree horse shoe to get you back in the direction of the straight and finallly another 90 deg right hander to get onto the straight.

Sounds like fun and it will put the sump baffles to a real test. We will have a hawk eye on the oil pressure gauge.

If this is successful then the our real series race is 2 weeks later and the first for this year's season. With 5 races left we will have to have these 5 count because normally the 2 worst results get dropped.

Regards, Frans.
    jaahn and bowie like this.

You need a "heads up" display for oil pressure!!! Maybe only lights for particular pressure thresholds? No lights = 50 psi or more perhaps? Just my imagination running wild....

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi All,

Test done and passed. But.........involved in a get together. Started from the 3rd row and moved up to be sandwiched between an Alfa and BMW 2002 Ti in the 1st row before turn 1. The Alfa on the left closed the gap (right hand turn) and I turned him sideways although I was pulling out of the sandwich at the time. Then the BMW hit him in the side and a Volvo hit the BMW from behind pushing him harder into the Alfa. Bad damage on the Alfa and couldn't race further, BMW went home. I have body damage left and right side and wheel alignment bent.

Johan and myself went for the same gap after take off but then he changed direction and went to the outside. He got through with no damage. I'm sure he will elaborate on the other thread from his point of view.

I set the wheel alignment back to normal again and then removed the LF mudguard and then we panel beated it at the track so the front wheel could clear when turning. That made me able to do the last race again.

It looks like I can do the next race on the 10th December which will be the 1st points session for me. Johan retired with a throttle linkage that broke and I think he will be in as well.

Regards, Frans.

Hi Frans,

Great to see two R8s flying the Renault flag. Sad to hear of the panel damage. Don't these people know that they must get out of the way when a R8G is out- accelerating them?
    Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Henry

They have no respect for quality.....

Good you are mobile Frans!

Bad luck to break a throttle linkage too - pretty robust but these things happen.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi All,

When the accident happened I forgot to take a photo. Too old school to think of things like that or maybe to peed off? The dent was bad enough that it rubbed against the wheel. So the the first pic shows the damage as Johan and myself panel beated it at the track and that was how the last race was done. The rest is just a few pics of the preparation until tonight when I fitted it. In day time there will be a few visible scars but I will cover that later with a Castrol plaster or something similar.

This is the right hand side that I haven't touched yet and maybe I will just push it from the inside so that it looks a little better for Sunday. Oh, remember me and Johan are racing on Sunday. Official points race.

And here it is all together again.

I keep on thinking who's at fault. Then I feel it is not me. I'm the one that has to do it all myself. Not one of the others work on their own cars. So I'll never look for trouble. cos I'm an angel you know.

The Volvo is really fast but on the short track he couldn't shake me and that is after a $3000.00 suspension upgrade, a 2.5 OHC motor built in Sweden and a new close ratio dog box, Quiafe LSD. I timed him on the long track and there he is definitely much quicker than me.

Now for a head re-torque and then time will tell.

Regards, Frans.
    Kim Luck, JohnW and bowie like this.

Hi Frans,
    Are they Smiths Wheels you run on the race car ????

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Ray, Yes that is the old Tiger Smith wheels but they are just used for off trackuse because they are so heavy. Test drives and towing to and from the track with the A-frame. I don't want to use the racing wheels for normal driving because of the unnecessary heat cycles. The race wheels is the old "Rally" mags.

Frans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi All,

When the accident happened I forgot to take a photo. Too old school to think of things like that or maybe to peed off? The dent was bad enough that it rubbed against the wheel. So the the first pic shows the damage as Johan and myself panel beated it at the track and that was how the last race was done. The rest is just a few pics of the preparation until tonight when I fitted it. In day time there will be a few visible scars but I will cover that later with a Castrol plaster or something similar. I keep on thinking who's at fault. Then I feel it is not me. I'm the one that has to do it all myself. Not one of the others work on their own cars. So I'll never look for trouble. cos I'm an angel you know. The Volvo is really fast but on the short track he couldn't shake me and that is after a $3000.00 suspension upgrade, a 2.5 OHC motor built in Sweden and a new close ratio dog box, Quiafe LSD. I timed him on the long track and there he is definitely much quicker than me. Now for a head re-torque and then time will tell.

Regards, Frans.
    Ah well, it is a racing car! Bound to have the odd "coming together".

Best wishes for the weekend!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi All,

Firstly, no video. Again it was too much of a rush having our normal 2 day amount of racing in 1 day.

Arrived early and me and Johan set up camp, gazebo, changed wheels and all else that goes with racing. We were the 2nd group up for qualifying and the track was absolutely filthy from Saturday's drifting. Marbles as far as the eye can see. Apart from the few laps I did 2 weeks before I wasn't sure how the engine was going to perform because this was the 1st time on known grounds. I gradually built the speed up on the first 3 laps and then went flatout. Immediately I noticed that going down the straight I had more speed than ever before. The engine felt strong so that was a bonus. I had a huge off on the last race and hit the Kitty litter at high speed on the same corner where I had my big accident.

Some thing that must have happened 2 weeks ago was the deterioration of my front tyres. The LH front was blistered even before qualifying. I swapped left to right to get a bit more life out of them. Half way through the day the other one was blistered as well. I hope it will be better with new tyres however I still managed to qualify 9th on the grid and finished 8th overall. During the day I still managed a few 1:23s which makes me happy and hopefully will be better with new fronts. (remember I couldn't crack the 1:25 barrier for about 5 years)

After the end of the first race with the car running perfect and slowing down, it ran on 3 cylinders. Back at the pit I checked the plugs and found the culprit. Because of these plugs being so robust it must have been really bad inside no.4 cylinder. I changed the plug for the second race and it looked good on completion. I was still a bit worried and retarded the timing with 3 degrees for the 3rd race. All good on completion.

I hope there is some plugologists on the forum, thinking of PeterT & Co, that can identify this problem. I know a white colour is too lean, biscuit is good and black too rich. Unfortunately that is where my limited knowledge ends.

So that was the 1st race with a lot of new things, next is 6 & & January at our Taupo track. This will be the full circuit at about 2 minutes/lap.

Oh yes, I got the blame for the accident a fortnight ago and I said that I am sorry my car is so quick on take off..

Regards, Frans.

PS Johan will fill you in on how his day went with a spin avoiding a ffffFord!
    JohnW likes this.

Those plug pics are scary, Frans. Almost rich metallic deposits......

Sorry you had to cop the blame for the altercation.....
    Frans likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Hi Frans.
    I'm assuming that the plug problem is only with one cylinder?
    My bet is your valve guides on that particular cylinder are badly worn. Together with the premium fuel you are using and wide open throttle butterflys will cause this ash type build up. Be interested to see inside that cylinder at the valve faces and piston top.

Additionally, if you haven't the time to pull the head of to confirm the worn valve guides, chuck the 4 earth electrode spark plug and go back to the normal single earth type as it won't ash up as much and will last the full race distance.
    Cheers mate
    Phil
    Last edited by R8philSA; 13th December 2017 at 01:37 AM.
    Frans likes this.

Frans, if it only happened to one plug and the replacement plug was ok after running, maybe you had a "dud" plug.

Henry
    julians and Frans like this.

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

Kim. Sure is scary.

Phil, the head is as run in January and this is the 1st race after that, so I will rule out the valve guide as they were checked on assembly. I have raced with NGK B9ES plugs in the past. That is the coldest range you get and they failed on average 2 plugs a season. With these Autolites I have done 3 years trouble free when I replaced them with new ones just as preventative maintenance. For me they look visibly more robust than single electrodes. That is why I had a spare to carry on with the last 2 races.

Henry, very possible in what you're saying however, it lasted a while (2 years or longer).

I am going to make me another set mains a fraction bigger and put them in as a precaution and then set the timing back to where it was. My lap times were remarkably slower during that last race.

Just as a matter of interest, I checked the MegaJolt computer settings and where I touched the 6600 rpm mark occasionally with the old engine the new one slightly exceeds the 6800 rpm mark on the main straight. That is with the length of straight we have and with a 3.7:1 diff ratio. What speed that equates to? I don't know but the GPS told me that the 6600 rpm was 165 Km/h and I can tell you that 200 rpm in top gear is a huge step.

Regards, Frans.
    JohnW likes this.

Hi Frans.
    Hmm. Its a strange one alright. Dave Hicks and I were discussing the problem over lunch today. We thought it must be No. 4 cylinder (at the clutch end ?) as it would be hotter than the rest. Just wondering what happened to the replacement plug? did it look the same when removed?? I now realize you cant just drop a inspection probe in there because of the head design!! I guess it will remain a mystery until the next time the head comes of.
    I wish you the best of luck with this one.
    Cheers Phil

Hi All,

Phil, as mentioned in my post above, the replaced plug looked good after the 2nd race and then with some doubt in my mind I played safe and retarded the timing for the 3rd race as well. Scared! The one that burnt is no4 but remember that it is a Renault so it is the plug furthest from the flywheel. All I did before the 2nd race was to remove the main jet and inspect it. It was clean. Maybe there was some dirt in the jet that fell out as I unscrewed it and sank to the bottom hence the good looking plug after the 2nd race.

I was thinking afterwards about this and realised/assumed that if the car was so much quicker on the straight it will be quicker elsewhere as well and thus require more fuel. That I didn't compensate for and left the jets as is. I have now turned 4 new jets and increased the main jets from 130 to 135 hoping that it will now be rich enough. I can test the car again with an O2 analiser but the fact that only 1 cylinder was problematic rules this out.

Next race is 6&7 January in Taupo and I will have a good look at them just after qualifying. That should show me a change. I was thinking of making another set that is 140 for incase but I reckon that is an overkill. Do you?

Regards, Frans

You and Phil are way out of my league Frans, but it's very interesting.

However, best wishes to you and family for Christmas and 2018! I've just picked up an R10 1300 engine for the R8 - very rare in Oz.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi All,

Phil, as mentioned in my post above, the replaced plug looked good after the 2nd race and then with some doubt in my mind I played safe and retarded the timing for the 3rd race as well. Scared! The one that burnt is no4 but remember that it is a Renault so it is the plug furthest from the flywheel. All I did before the 2nd race was to remove the main jet and inspect it. It was clean. Maybe there was some dirt in the jet that fell out as I unscrewed it and sank to the bottom hence the good looking plug after the 2nd race.

I was thinking afterwards about this and realised/assumed that if the car was so much quicker on the straight it will be quicker elsewhere as well and thus require more fuel. That I didn't compensate for and left the jets as is. I have now turned 4 new jets and increased the main jets from 130 to 135 hoping that it will now be rich enough. I can test the car again with an O2 analiser but the fact that only 1 cylinder was problematic rules this out.

Next race is 6&7 January in Taupo and I will have a good look at them just after qualifying. That should show me a change. I was thinking of making another set that is 140 for incase but I reckon that is an overkill. Do you?

Regards, Frans
    Is this a reason SU carbs had vacuum variable jets?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

No Kim. A SU does have a variable main jet in which the taper needle slides but it can also be too small or big. The airflow lifts the piston up making the main jet bigger but if that is too small at full throttle then you must go bigger as well. Also have spring tensions that can be changed to lift the piston up quicker or slower.
    Frans

Hi Frans. Hmm ! Difficult to say. I feel a 135 should be as big as you should go. I would rather run a plug a little richer than lean. Lean mixtures tend to give the ash colour after a long hard run. I'm thinking now that it might have been just that plug. If you do a check after the next qualifying run it may show all is good, so this would prove a bad plug. If it happens again and you want to stay competitive you will need to get that head of and check out what is going on in that particular cylinder. Hope it's not a seeping head gasket around No. 4 as you could be looking at burnt residual from the coolant additives.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by R8philSA; 19th December 2017 at 12:54 AM.

Hi All,

I noticed there isn't much going on on AF. Must be enjoying your holidays!

I have in the mean time fitted the new jets and started preparing for the next race. Took the spark plugs out and they looked actually very nice with a nice colour as well. As mentioned in my previous post there was nothing wrong with the replaced plug. So I looked down the hole with a torch and I could see the piston. That shouldn't be possible on a G head! I decided to remove the head and noticed that the problem had nothing to do with running lean. The colour inside the combustion chamber is good what happened was that the little "bridge" between the flame shoots had eventually cracked loose and came out. Because there was no heat transfer for this little piece, it melted and that was the deposit on the plug.

The biggest negative turns out to be that it happened at the wrong time of the year because there isn't engineering shops open that can do the job. I could've raced it like that ( I have done 2 races with it) in that condition but the danger would be the valve seat that is not held in over the complete surround.

This is the part that came out and as mentioned all of them cracks between the valve seats but this was the first time that little bridge came out. I think it is the extreme conditions that helped it.

This is the colour of the combustion chambers and there is no sign of the white coloured lean running.

So I will take it casual.... again.... and wait for the normal times to repair the head.

Regards, Frans.
    JohnW likes this.

Hi Frans,
    I know aluminium can be welded, but it's going to be difficult to maintain the spark cavity, unless something can be inserted before welding and removed afterwards. Otherwise its going to be difficult to grind/machine in the cavity. I wish you the best of luck with this repair.
    P.S. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll find a way.

Henry

Page 21 of 27 First ... 11171819202122232425 ... Last

Thread Information