Two new racecars in NZ - Page 21
  • Register
  • Help
Page 21 of 21 First ... 111718192021
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Two new racecars in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Wow.

Meanwhile, in communism where we, the people, owned everything you would have been thrown in jail for setting fire to public property. Not a bad idea.
    Good idea, communism isn't all bad.

Advertisement
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Hi All,

I have just returned from my first test drive and it feels back to normal. I will do a few final checks as the week goes on.

In the end I did go against my decision did a little change based on the analysis of the heat treatment guy. The new spindle's hardness was increased from 44 Rockwell to 48 Rockwell. For now I can only say that the proof is in the pudding.

I'll enter for a non points round next Sunday and based on the outcome I will then do my first points round 2 weeks later. This race next Sunday is a little cheaper so it will do fine for testing.

I will follow up on this.

Regards, Frans.
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans,

Thanks for the update. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Hi All,

It is all go for this Sunday's racing. Johan's car is up and going as well and he says it is flying now with the bigger valves that is properly seated. Unlike previously when they were sitting proud and the throats were not adapted to match the valve seats.

Keep in mind that this is a test session for us and although full-on it will not count towards points in our series. The track we are racing on is the small "Club" circuit and it is a first for us. This is a track that is designed for drifters that consist out of a right hand horseshoe 180 deg after the start followed immediately by a 100 deg left hander and then immediately after that another 180 degree horse shoe to get you back in the direction of the straight and finallly another 90 deg right hander to get onto the straight.

Sounds like fun and it will put the sump baffles to a real test. We will have a hawk eye on the oil pressure gauge.

If this is successful then the our real series race is 2 weeks later and the first for this year's season. With 5 races left we will have to have these 5 count because normally the 2 worst results get dropped.

Regards, Frans.
    jaahn and bowie like this.

You need a "heads up" display for oil pressure!!! Maybe only lights for particular pressure thresholds? No lights = 50 psi or more perhaps? Just my imagination running wild....

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi All,

Test done and passed. But.........involved in a get together. Started from the 3rd row and moved up to be sandwiched between an Alfa and BMW 2002 Ti in the 1st row before turn 1. The Alfa on the left closed the gap (right hand turn) and I turned him sideways although I was pulling out of the sandwich at the time. Then the BMW hit him in the side and a Volvo hit the BMW from behind pushing him harder into the Alfa. Bad damage on the Alfa and couldn't race further, BMW went home. I have body damage left and right side and wheel alignment bent.

Johan and myself went for the same gap after take off but then he changed direction and went to the outside. He got through with no damage. I'm sure he will elaborate on the other thread from his point of view.

I set the wheel alignment back to normal again and then removed the LF mudguard and then we panel beated it at the track so the front wheel could clear when turning. That made me able to do the last race again.

It looks like I can do the next race on the 10th December which will be the 1st points session for me. Johan retired with a throttle linkage that broke and I think he will be in as well.

Regards, Frans.

Hi Frans,

Great to see two R8s flying the Renault flag. Sad to hear of the panel damage. Don't these people know that they must get out of the way when a R8G is out- accelerating them?
    Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

They have no respect for quality.....

Good you are mobile Frans!

Bad luck to break a throttle linkage too - pretty robust but these things happen.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi All,

When the accident happened I forgot to take a photo. Too old school to think of things like that or maybe to peed off? The dent was bad enough that it rubbed against the wheel. So the the first pic shows the damage as Johan and myself panel beated it at the track and that was how the last race was done. The rest is just a few pics of the preparation until tonight when I fitted it. In day time there will be a few visible scars but I will cover that later with a Castrol plaster or something similar.

This is the right hand side that I haven't touched yet and maybe I will just push it from the inside so that it looks a little better for Sunday. Oh, remember me and Johan are racing on Sunday. Official points race.

And here it is all together again.

I keep on thinking who's at fault. Then I feel it is not me. I'm the one that has to do it all myself. Not one of the others work on their own cars. So I'll never look for trouble. cos I'm an angel you know.

The Volvo is really fast but on the short track he couldn't shake me and that is after a $3000.00 suspension upgrade, a 2.5 OHC motor built in Sweden and a new close ratio dog box, Quiafe LSD. I timed him on the long track and there he is definitely much quicker than me.

Now for a head re-torque and then time will tell.

Regards, Frans.
    Kim Luck, JohnW and bowie like this.

Hi Frans,
    Are they Smiths Wheels you run on the race car ????

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Ray, Yes that is the old Tiger Smith wheels but they are just used for off trackuse because they are so heavy. Test drives and towing to and from the track with the A-frame. I don't want to use the racing wheels for normal driving because of the unnecessary heat cycles. The race wheels is the old "Rally" mags.

Frans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi All,

When the accident happened I forgot to take a photo. Too old school to think of things like that or maybe to peed off? The dent was bad enough that it rubbed against the wheel. So the the first pic shows the damage as Johan and myself panel beated it at the track and that was how the last race was done. The rest is just a few pics of the preparation until tonight when I fitted it. In day time there will be a few visible scars but I will cover that later with a Castrol plaster or something similar. I keep on thinking who's at fault. Then I feel it is not me. I'm the one that has to do it all myself. Not one of the others work on their own cars. So I'll never look for trouble. cos I'm an angel you know. The Volvo is really fast but on the short track he couldn't shake me and that is after a $3000.00 suspension upgrade, a 2.5 OHC motor built in Sweden and a new close ratio dog box, Quiafe LSD. I timed him on the long track and there he is definitely much quicker than me. Now for a head re-torque and then time will tell.

Regards, Frans.
    Ah well, it is a racing car! Bound to have the odd "coming together".

Best wishes for the weekend!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi All,

Firstly, no video. Again it was too much of a rush having our normal 2 day amount of racing in 1 day.

Arrived early and me and Johan set up camp, gazebo, changed wheels and all else that goes with racing. We were the 2nd group up for qualifying and the track was absolutely filthy from Saturday's drifting. Marbles as far as the eye can see. Apart from the few laps I did 2 weeks before I wasn't sure how the engine was going to perform because this was the 1st time on known grounds. I gradually built the speed up on the first 3 laps and then went flatout. Immediately I noticed that going down the straight I had more speed than ever before. The engine felt strong so that was a bonus. I had a huge off on the last race and hit the Kitty litter at high speed on the same corner where I had my big accident.

Some thing that must have happened 2 weeks ago was the deterioration of my front tyres. The LH front was blistered even before qualifying. I swapped left to right to get a bit more life out of them. Half way through the day the other one was blistered as well. I hope it will be better with new tyres however I still managed to qualify 9th on the grid and finished 8th overall. During the day I still managed a few 1:23s which makes me happy and hopefully will be better with new fronts. (remember I couldn't crack the 1:25 barrier for about 5 years)

After the end of the first race with the car running perfect and slowing down, it ran on 3 cylinders. Back at the pit I checked the plugs and found the culprit. Because of these plugs being so robust it must have been really bad inside no.4 cylinder. I changed the plug for the second race and it looked good on completion. I was still a bit worried and retarded the timing with 3 degrees for the 3rd race. All good on completion.

I hope there is some plugologists on the forum, thinking of PeterT & Co, that can identify this problem. I know a white colour is too lean, biscuit is good and black too rich. Unfortunately that is where my limited knowledge ends.

So that was the 1st race with a lot of new things, next is 6 & & January at our Taupo track. This will be the full circuit at about 2 minutes/lap.

Oh yes, I got the blame for the accident a fortnight ago and I said that I am sorry my car is so quick on take off..

Regards, Frans.

PS Johan will fill you in on how his day went with a spin avoiding a ffffFord!

Those plug pics are scary, Frans. Almost rich metallic deposits......

Sorry you had to cop the blame for the altercation.....
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Page 21 of 21 First ... 111718192021

Thread Information