torsion bars R4
  • Help

Thread: torsion bars R4

Default torsion bars R4

I am still mucking arround with those swing arms/rubber bushes ,now i find one torsion bar has a bend in it,what do you do with that ?i also mixed them up left and right.ignore or find some other ones? maybe .work for af ew days on the R5.to think about that regards .cor

Advertisement

If these are the hexagonal anchor lever adjust torsion bars, the LH bar is identified by a blue spot of paint and the RH bar by a white spot of paint. Now typing that, I've never seen those spots of paint on the torsion bars.

If one is bent, really I'd prefer to get a good straight one as you don't know how it is stressed it could just fail or it could last for years. Possibly two as a matched pair from the rear of the same car would be the best bet. That way they are likely to have the same "wear". FYI the first series (up to 9/62) have 18.4mm bars, the rest are 19.8mm bars.

As for swapping from side to side, difficult to say really, again that may stress the old bars differently and cause premature failure. There were some 16's fitted with the wrong torsion bars side to side on the rear. It was noted that the incorrect fitting was not detremental to safety, and was something to be rectified when the vehicle entered the workshop. But that could have just been something to avoid a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    If these are the hexagonal anchor lever adjust torsion bars, the LH bar is identified by a blue spot of paint and the RH bar by a white spot of paint. Now typing that, I've never seen those spots of paint on the torsion bars.

If one is bent, really I'd prefer to get a good straight one as you don't know how it is stressed it could just fail or it could last for years. Possibly two as a matched pair from the rear of the same car would be the best bet. That way they are likely to have the same "wear". FYI the first series (up to 9/62) have 18.4mm bars, the rest are 19.8mm bars.

As for swapping from side to side, difficult to say really, again that may stress the old bars differently and cause premature failure. There were some 16's fitted with the wrong torsion bars side to side on the rear. It was noted that the incorrect fitting was not detremental to safety, and was something to be rectified when the vehicle entered the workshop. But that could have just been something to avoid a recall.
    it suposed to be a '63 , one bar has a red spot ,the other yellow ? but you're right i have to find a good set , ...anyone out there,that wants to sel me a set of torsion bars for R4 ? .....they are the ''hexagonal anchor lever adjust t, bars'' size ? dont know yet,those things are covered in a rubber ,hose' damaged.is there away to fix ? cor

The plot thickens, those are the colours used for the front torsion bars. Red for the RH bar and yellow for the LH bar. I did check last night just to make sure all the references are the same in the various age books, but perhaps their colour system is as logical as the wiring diagrams of the day.

I was going to say that the red paint could have come from the red inspection paint that they seem to have liberally applied to most of the underside R4 bolts I've seen. But they may have logically applied the front colours to the rear bars too.

For replacing the rubber tube, smear the bar with soap, not salty dishwashing liquid, place insulation tape over the sharp hexagonal portion on the end of the bar, pop the new tube over the end and get a compressor to "pump up" the rubber tube whilst pushing the tube onto the torsion bar.

For replacing the rubber tube, smear the bar with soap, not salty dishwashing liquid, place insulation tape over the sharp hexagonal portion on the end of the bar, pop the new tube over the end and get a compressor to "pump up" the rubber tube whilst pushing the tube onto the torsion bar.[/QUOTE]

This isn't a problem that I have, but this idea of expanding a rubber tube with compresses air to get it over a rod is a good one ,and something that I'll remember for the future.

Thanks Simon.

Best Mike

Thread Information