Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Van (F8Q Engine) - Help needed please
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Renault Extra 1.9 Diesel Van (F8Q Engine) - Help needed please

Hi folks

I have the above model of vehicle, which seems a rare thing - It has the F8Q (1.9 litre ) diesel engine. I can't seem to get any help or info on this vehicle from anywhere.

I recently purchased this Van, and although it is running fine, there is a small quantity of oil present in the coolant. I need to sort this out.

Advertisement

My questions are:

1) Is this caused by a Head Gasket leak and would re-tightening (retorqueing) the Head help? Failing this, any other recommendations?

2) I want to flush and refill the cooling system, and then see if (and how much) the problem gets worse or not - Looking beneath the vehicle, I can't find where to drain the coolant from - I don't see a drain plug, and although I can see a lower pipe going to the radiator, it is not in reach (can't get to it with my hand or hands).

3) I hear that there is a correct order to flush and refill the system which must be followed, and perhaps a special tool needed - Anyone any thoughts.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated as right now I feel like I am banging my head against a wall with so little information available on this vehicle and engine.

Thank you
    Christian (In the UK)

Being a mainly Australian forum, you are likely to get few replies on this one as that motor was never available in Australia. See if you can get a mechanic to check a coolant sample for traces of combustion material which would indicate that there is a cylinder head leak.

Tadpole

Thank you for your reply, Simon.

I can't seem to find any other Forums on Renault vehicles on the Internet, and this (great!) forum appears on most of my searches.

I have just sourced a Manual for the F8Q engine and I hope that it will help me.

One question, on this Renault Diesel engine - Or anyone who has any experience with a similar Renault Diesel engine - I need to drain / flush the coolant.

The bottom radiator hose is unreachable - I can't even reach in to touch it with one finger. How can I flush the system? Is there a drain plug on these engines? I can't find one. Anyone offer help, please?

Thanks to all you guys 'down under' If you look back far enough, we are all related you know

Chris

Tadpole

Thanks for the Links, Andy.

I have been told by a helpful chap that the oil leak into the coolant system might be caused by a leaky Oil Cooler - He also mentions this is a common problem with the Renault Oil Coolers. Hope it is this and not the head gasket.

Next week I spend a lot of time on the vehicle - Might change the Oil cooler anyway, just in case - Fault diagnosis etc

I have also been recommended to use Washing Up liquid (Fairy?) in the Coolant for a time to loosen the oil - Any thoughts?

Chris

Candyman stick with the van as I think they are great little things. Highly robust....

Thread Information