Scenic Auto change points
  • Help

Default Scenic Auto change points

Hey guys!

Just hope someone out there can help with what should be a fairly simple query but seems to have put the dealers into a spin!

I have an 04 Scenic Dynamique 2 litre auto. The question I have is that under full load at what RPM should the autobox change up? I have looked at the Renault Aust web site and it shows max power develops at 5,500 rpm. My car changes up at a max of 4250rpm which is well short of where the engine produces maximum oomph.

When queried (3 different Renault dealers) they all say that is to protect the transmission and to help produce better economy. Well, that's fine as far as it goes but if I should have a 28 wheler semi bearing down on me I have to say that POWER is what I'm after, not trying to save a few cents worth of petrol!!

Do any of you who either has an auto or has driven one enough to know is this normal? My experience in other automatics is that they hold the gears at least to max power if not the red line. My Laguna auto included so it doesn't seem to be purely a Renault thing!

Advertisement

Tadpole

Icon10 Reply

I have an 02 Scenic Privilege and under normally driving conditions it changes at around 3500. When I am under load or putting my foot down, it will hold a gear to about 5500 before it changes. Its that last 1000 RPm that help it move quicker. I find if I am in a hurry I drive my scenic hard and actually push the accelerator flat to the floor often to keep it moving.
    Evan..................... 85 Fuego, 02 Scenic and 78 Virage

Thanks Evan!

It's funny; you get that feeling when you're being fed a line!

Thread Information