body shape
  • Help

Thread: body shape

Default body shape

I've got a variety of fuego's that appear to have been in minor accidents. All will pull Left, and some are showing excessive tyre wear on the passenger side outer. I'm wondering if this is a simple wheel alighnment thing, or might the bodies be bent.Of course a trip to a wheel alighning workshop would propably give me the answer, but I'm skint at the moment. How easy will a fuego bend out of shape in prang,and is there a DIY solution.
    Whilst on this subject, I came across a brand new,wraped in plastic, fuego front end the other day.I'm sure that would be a bloody big job, un welding all the spot welds,removing and replacing everything,whilst hoping that it all fits back together the same.Obviosly from a time when it was worth the effort.
    Jo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego new front end

Jo

Just looked up the Mr 219 Factory Manual on page S4 they show all sorts of replacement sections for the Fuego - 31 on the cahrt is called Front Unit and includes the complete engine bay, turret towers for the suspension, crossmembers and above radiator panel, a huge section, but highly desirable if you needed to rebirth a crashed front end of a Fuego, and yes you do have to unpick all the spot welds and reweld with mig etc.

I also have a Boyce unibody & Frame manual that gives all the dimensions of the Fuego frame and underbody, engine compartment etc.

What I have usually done is park a Fuego on a level flat concrete floor, and make sure wheels are in line. I then take a long wooden straightedge, geta person to hold this at the rib line (TRX tyre) on the edges of the rear tyres and extending forward to the front tyres.

As the front wheels TOE OUT on the Fuego, the back rib of the front tyre should just clear the straightedge. then go to the other side and do the same thing, both should be similar, if not then you need to do some more measuring. to adjust the amount of tow out either side this is done by undoing the lock nut on the steering rail and adjusting the tie rods until both front wheels are tracking with the rear wheels and having the 1mm toe out required.

I usually just set the wheels roughly in line by sight and then after initial check bring each side back to specs.

Takes a while but it is worth the time - if you suspect that one side has been pushed back out of line, you can pick up from identical points on the chassis, hang a plumb-bob down to the concrete and chalk mark the points, then see if there is a difference of side to side measurements or diagonal measurements.

Marking the centres of the wheels and using a large Square to transfer these marks to the concrete will also give a rough idea of extent of damage/deformation of the chassis.

Small variations can be compensated for in the alignment of the front wheels.

This might sound complicated, but it is really a simple procedure as you work your way into it.

Chassis deformation in the vertical plane is harder to detect without a chassis jig, but then you just make panels fit etc.

I can mail you a copy of the frame chart and dimensions if you wish. straight email me if you need them.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego - Passenger side tyre wear

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I've got a variety of fuego's that appear to have been in minor accidents. All will pull Left, and some are showing excessive tyre wear on the passenger side outer. .
    Jo
    Excessive front tyre wear on the passenger side was mentioned recently in a post, it is usually caused by worn out parts either in the wishbone bushes or elsewhere in the steering/suspension geometry. Di;'s early car was retired due to this problem and an excessive oil leak - before it is built back up as a Rally car, it will be pulled apart to fix both problems. I should know more about the fix when that is done

Ken

Thread Information