R16 Inner rear bearing removal. (72 TS)
  • Help

Icon5 R16 Inner rear bearing removal. (72 TS)

Hi guys,

I have got stuck trying to replace the rear wheel bearings in the 16.

I managed to break the outer off the center of the bearing, but do not have a bearing extractor. The Haynes manual quotes "Usinf a bearing extractor, withdraw the inner taper roller bearing and thrust washer from the stub axle."

Advertisement

So the question is, will any bearing remover do the job... can I buy one of these off the shelf at say repco, or will I need a special renault tool.

Maybe there is some sort of trick I haven't worked out yet, to get these suckers off without an extractor?

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

The special tool comprises of a split cylinder that encompasses the bearing and the two shell halves are held together with a collar. A standard bearing/gear extractor is then used to pull the encompassed bearing thrust washer and tool off the stub axle.

A standard bearing extractor may work OK, but sometimes the claws are too big to fit behind the thrust washer and the brake backplate, so get the smallest extractor possible, whilst making sure that it will go the length of the stub axle without getting itself tied up in knots.

Generally the bearing isn't on the stub axle tight, unless it has been overheated at some time, so it shouldn't take too much force to get it moving. But don't scar or distort the edge of the thrust washer, as this bears against the grease seal in the brake drum.

Default Thanks

Thanks again for your advice Simon,

I ended up taking it down to french connection, as I was still having problems removing the inner bearings on the rear. As I had broken the bearing shell, and couldnt proceed I had little option but to stuff it back on with 1/2 the rollers, pack it with grease and drive it to the airport west.

These were both angle grinded, then cold chizzled off. One of them even then looked like quite an effort to get off.

The other thing I think I would have had problems with is extracting the old bearing surround from the hub. If I was going to approach this job myself again, I think I would get the right size sockets etc, to extract and hammer in the bearing bits.

Thanks Andrew and David for letting me hover while you worked, and as a result Andrews very late lunch.

David.