One for the Kiwi members...Renault Ignition?
  • Help

Default One for the Kiwi members...Renault Ignition?

I'd like to know if any NZ Renaults apart form the R20/21/25/Fuegos were fitted with electronic ignition?

Any details would be great.

Cheers
    Chris.

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Certain 5's, 9's and 11's also had the Renix electronic ignition from around 1982 onwards.

Thanks Simon.
    Do you know actually what type of system it was? Air-gap or Hall effect sensor?
    I am only after the distributor...Any chance of any of these in Australia??
    Chris.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

The R9 and R11 1400cc and 1700cc models were fitted with a computerised ignition. The pickup was on the flywheel and that was fed into a processor together with vacuum from the inlet manifold to supply info of the engine load. Advance and retard was then calculated and a spark accordingly was sent to the distributor. Inside the distributor is nothing except a rotor.
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thanks Frans
    Those distributors aren't what I am looking for then. I am after one with a cassette(air-gap) or Hall effect sensor instead of points.
    Thanks for the info, I won't chase that avenue any longer.
    I was going to use one of those distributors for a trigger for a build-up CDI kit. I might have to just use the points type which is fine as a trigger, or adapt Pug 505SR dizzy guts into a renault Ducillier body.
    Just out of interest what would one expect to pay for a complete ignition system like that one you described, either from a wrecker or a private seller???
    Cheers,
    Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

I dont think payment is the problem, which model to get is the problem. Each model car has a different computer. The advance curve is built in to suit a engine for eg, 1400 GTL is a low revving and low compression engine with its own advance curve, so is the 1400 Auto, 1400 TS, 1700TX,1400 Turbo, etc etc. It has a built in retard function for a knock sensor as well although that was only used on the 1400 turbo and R18 turbo. So, you have a lot of useless info.
    I have seen a VW electronic pickup system in a R8 distributor, maybe follow up on that but do your own measurements first because I did not check in detail what had to be done.
    Frans

Thanks for that,
    It's good to know what's available to keep my options open. I think I am going to go with a Hall Effect Sensor adapted into the distributor.

Thanks again,
    Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Check out the "Ignitor Ignition" product range from Pertronix

Some of the US Europa boys have fitted it to Ducellier distributors.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Check out the "Ignitor Ignition" product range from Pertronix

Some of the US Europa boys have fitted it to Ducellier distributors.
    Pertronix Electronic Ignition Conversion.

Hey Europa,
    There is already a thread discussing that possibility.
    I have considered many options and Pertronix being one. I had contacted a US supplier, but he only answered my first email. I'd be happy with a Pertronix, but the Ignitor II would be better, but they don't make them to suit any dizzy that fits the R8/10/12 engine series.
    Thanks for the link anyways.
    How do the Europas go with the Ignitor fitted?? They read as though they'd be a fairly good modification.
    The guy in the USA I got onto had them for a very good price, even shipped to my door, it would be less than half the best price I have managed to get from an Aussie supplier. Once again, the people supplying unique parts to Aussie customers screw the people keeping them in business.
    Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    How do the Europas go with the Ignitor fitted?? They read as though they'd be a fairly good modification.
    Well, they seem to almost be a "must fit" over there. Mind you, some states have strict emission requirements (ie. California) so I would imagine that it would help them achieve a good result in the test.

Just from reading replies on the mailing list it would appear that they are worth installing.

I don't think it would suit your application, but Phase I R25 V6i have a hall-effect distributor.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    I don't think it would suit your application, but Phase I R25 V6i have a hall-effect distributor.
    Thanks, it's always good to know these litle things. Yeah, I don't think the R25 dist' inners would fit a four cylinder distributor.

As I have said, I may just try a Multi-spark CDI or the High Energy Ignition kit probably with the Hall Effect Sensor. Why you ask? Just to be different.

Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Paul Silva in Canada has a kit to suit the Ducellier distrbutor here.

http://www3.telus.net/lusa/ignition.html

Overall though, in a non-hardcore performance, non-competition sense the stock ignition system seems quite reliable, OK, apart from the Ducellier advance bob weight bushes. Or perhaps I don't know what I am missing out on by retaining a stock system not to be different :-)

Default r17 ignition.

I am binning the distributor and I am going to run ford EDIS ignition on the r18 turbo transplant quiet a simple setup comprising of tooth'd wheel , VR sensor, ignition module and coil pack ,can be sourced cheap from the states .

Regards
    Dale.
    No substitute for C.I. ....except boost

1973 R17 TL - R18 turbo repowered .
    1989 R25 Monaco v6.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Mega Jolt

Quote Originally Posted by Swishy
    I am binning the distributor and I am going to run ford EDIS ignition on the r18 turbo transplant quiet a simple setup comprising of tooth'd wheel , VR sensor, ignition module and coil pack ,can be sourced cheap from the states .

Regards
    Dale.
    Hi guys, have a search for Mega jolt, everything I read and hear is that this is simple, good and cheap!

Indeed www.msefi.com is a good starting point , I have built 2 personally and another friend of mine is running TB injection on his 308 torana (currently moving to tpi) nice simple setup and extremely versatile.
    Will dump some pics up once things are nearer completion, atm I am going to run the EDIS setup with msns-e code and will later move to EFI also .
    ( I currently have efi gear off a later gen 2.2 which I will make use of . )

Cheers
    Dale.
    No substitute for C.I. ....except boost

1973 R17 TL - R18 turbo repowered .
    1989 R25 Monaco v6.

Default Megajolt

Hi Kiwia110,
    Just to let you know me and Ross have ordered 3 units. We haven't received it yet but will be using it on Ross's car and mine and the other racecar in Hamilton belonging to Johan.
    Frans

Thread Information