New Dauphine owner in U.S.
  • Help

Default New Dauphine owner in U.S.

Hey everyone,

Advertisement

Not only am I a new owner, I'm also new to Aussiefrogs. If I start boring everyone with my fundamental questions, please tell me or direct me to where I can find answers. I just recently purchased a 1963 Dauphine Deluxe that has been sitting in Arizona for quite a while. The dessert was kind to it & other than the floors is basically rust free. I've since gutted the interior & am going to take it down to the shell. My first basic stumbling block are the doors & how to remove them. It appears the hinges are welded in place & the doors are attached with roll pins as pivots. Quarters are quite tight which makes it difficult to drive out the roll pins. Is there a special tool or would I be better off fabricating a tool myself?

Thanks,
    Scott

p.s. I will be out of town the next few days so I might not respond right away.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Door pins

Hi and welcolm to Af

As a fellow Dauphine owner yes they are hard to get off.

I belive there was a special tool for this and that the top one had to be pushed out from the bottom and upwards

I am off to a club meeting tonight so will see if anyone can shed light on this.

I know I tried and failed with my old one in Tassie but I had limited time due to only being there for a couple of days.

Graelin

Graelin,

Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Scott

The special tool I've never seen. Then again you never know what ends up on Ebay nowadays.

The R8 uses the same type of hinge, so I'll relate what I did. A 4" long bolt with about 1" of thread on the end that just doesn't quite fit in the roll pin hole, but is not too wide for the door hinge hole. (It is dark and cold outside so I can't give exact diameters from my gadget!) Turn or grind down the length of the thread until it leaves a shouldered edge which bears on the roll pin. So you then basically have a shouldered short punch. Using a small hammer the punch can be knocked through pushing the roll pin out, make sure though that the bolt wide shoulder is not too wide for the door hinge hole and jams up.

To insert the roll pin on putting the car back together, use a similar sized bolt with a small nut on the thread, pop the roll pin on the bolt (the thread inside the roll pin to support it loosely and stop it the roll pin falling over) and then gently tap the roll pin back into the hinge.

Thanks Guys,

My short time on this forum & I can see, Simon, that you are stock pile of knowledge.
    I guess my next question would be; Does anyone have any information on lowering & stiffening the suspension on a 1963 Dauphine. I have had no luck finding any after market suspension manufacturers that even mention a Dauphine in their catalogues let alone offer any useful information. I know if worse comes to worse, I can cut the coils, but this does not sound like a good alternative. Are there other cars that I can harvest the springs from & get the results I want? Can I modify the subframe or change it's mounting to get where I want? Any info would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by supo
    My short time on this forum & I can see, Simon, that you are stock pile of knowledge.
    It's all a trick of the eye really. Unless it is box stock I don't really know much. And when I do it is only in a narrow range of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by supo
    I guess my next question would be; Does anyone have any information on lowering & stiffening the suspension on a 1963 Dauphine. I have had no luck finding any after market suspension manufacturers that even mention a Dauphine in their catalogues let alone offer any useful information. I know if worse comes to worse, I can cut the coils, but this does not sound like a good alternative. Are there other cars that I can harvest the springs from & get the results I want? Can I modify the subframe or change it's mounting to get where I want? Any info would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Probably the best person to ask is Ross on this forum. He runs an extensively modified Dauphine and would be the right person to ask on all things to modify a Dauphine. The front crossmember is usually replaced with that from an R8/10, to get a ball joint front end and disc brakes to replace the king pins and drums.

Thanks Simon,

I shall appeal my case to Ross first chance I get.

Scott

Firstly removing the doors - I dont think Simons method will work on a Dauphine as access is more restricted by the body shape than an R8.

I modified an allen key, ground down the short side so it just fits in the hole (but not inside the roll pin), hold the long side with some vice grips and then bash the top of the allen key to remove the pin. I removed 4 doors recently off a shell, took me about half an hour to remove all 4.

Secondly the springs - I have tried various methods.

It really depends on what the car will be used for. Mine is purely a race car and is very stiff and totally unsuitable for a road car.

I started out chopping R8/R10 coils which is a totally acceptable method IMHO. It gives you a reduced ride height and slightly stiffer suspension. But I was wanting even stiffer so I obtained a formular for working out spring stiffness and then went to a local wreckers yard and started measuring every spring I could find. After much experimentation I have ended up with 1990 Honda Accord front springs in the back. These were reduced by about one third to give correct ride height. Fronts are about 1979 Toyota Corolla front springs (the one with two wishbone front suspension) also reduced in height.

Once you have selected springs then you have to change the shocks to match the new spring rates. I use std R10 shocks in the front (probably could do with something stiffer but seems to work) and Holden HQ front shocks in the rear (probably a bit too stiff but once again seems to work)

If you are building a road car I would recommend going with chopped R8/R10 coils, start with taking half a coil off all round and then experiment with more if you need to.
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault Dauphine Type R 1090

Renault Dauphine Type R 1090 Specifications Adjustments and Shop Repairs. M.R 42A. (Gen Renault publication)

Page 193
    Renault Service Reference Car 07. SAPRAR Reference -12.177. Description -Pullers hinge pin.

I have taken a photo of this and if you send me a PM with your email i can send it to you.

The tool could be made easily if you have a lathe and welder.

Graelin

Fellow Frogger!

Default My Mum

My Mum 73 year old removed Dauphine doors two yrs ago with the allen key method. Striking top hinge from bottom and bottom hinge from top.

Graelin

Default New Dauphine owner in US

Supo,
    There is a special tool* for removing hollow hinge pins. Good body repair shops[panel beaters in Aus] will have one.
    You may even find one listed in a "Snap On" catalogue.

I have one of these tools, great for removing early Peugeot doors.
    A bit difficult for me to describe other than it uses a small dia. round head high tensile bolt. This bolt is passed through the hinge pin. A long bar with a slotted end is slipped over the small bolt, the bar is then struck with a hammer to extract the hinge pin. Whew!!

*Graelin, Rex Spares in Osb. Park had these.

Welcome supo to aussiefrogs mate. I know nothing about that car but the Renault guys do....welcome.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Widebeast

Thanks
    I have just bought a 404 wagon last night so will probably need one of these. If the container has good passenger rear and front doors I will be in for these.

Graelin

Tadpole

Thanks for all the information guys. I just got back from a week long visit to the boys great grandmother (no computer) & was checking out this thread. Thanks for the welcomes (even though I'm a Yank). I have three boys, the oldest one just turned 3 yrs. (May 12th) & my wife is a minister, so I'm the housewife. I guess my point is that there maybe some gaps between my replies to the forum from time to time.
    As I told you earlier, I'm a brand new owner. I've been spending some time on google trying to gather information, to no avail, so this forum is a great find. I just hope I can contribute with more than just questions.

Scott

Thread Information