Dauphine G Crank shaft pulley
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Dauphine G Crank shaft pulley

Hope someone out there can help. On rebuilding my Dauphine G motor, I found that it was difficult to fit the timing gear cover oil seal. This is because there didn't seem to be one there when the engine was pulled down. The crank shaft pulley has a worm drive attached to the back of it which fits into the place where the timing gear oil cover seal should go. I assume this worm drive pushes any oil back into the timing cover, thus eliminating the need to have timing gear cover oil seal. The problem is I can find no reference to this set up in my repair manuals. Can someone please advise me what the story is.

Thanks

Cheers

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

This scroll type oil 'seal' arrangement was fairly common on the other end of the crank on 50's cars, but I haven't seen it on that end. You're right, it's a fairly close fit, where the scrolling action pumps the oil back in. Unfortunately it can be a bit dodgy in some applications if you park on a hill with the engine not running!

I'm sure Guru Josh (aka Simon) will tell you exactly which models may or may not have had this setup on the timing case!

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I'm sure Guru Josh (aka Simon) will tell you exactly which models may or may not have had this setup on the timing case!
    I just had to count to infinity before replying........

I wouldn't have a clue on this one so I've just referred to the trusty parts books.

Probably just to get on the right track as to the end referred to as things get tricky. You are querying the crank pulley seal at the rear of the car, the one that drives the generator.

On this pulley, if it is a Dauphine G there should be a seal in the timing cover. The cover will have a flange where the seal bears onto, with the pulley having a smooth surface which bears on the seal. The seal is 50mm OD, 30-32mm ID and about 8mm in height.

Now the tricky part, the very early Dauphine, up to moteur 670-01 number 140141 had an oil scroll on the pulley with a removable flat splash disc on the nose of the crank, also the timing cover is different with the hole for the pulley having no flange which seats the seal. I'm wondering if the crank has been swapped at some stage from either a 750 or early Dauphine "Normale"?

Now the easy bit. The end of the crank with the flywheel attached and the camshaft pulley both have oil scrolls.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Simon It seems then I have a non Gordini crankshaft in a gordini 670 05 block as both ends have the oil scrolls and the crankcase cover does not have a recess for the seal ,will it make a lot of difference, to my manner of thinking it shouldnt or perhaps thats more hoping. The engine has been fully rebuilt and assembley has been completed cheers
    Last edited by glenough; 10th May 2005 at 09:38 AM.

Have you got any pics of the parts just to confirm that all the parts are present and correct? Or you can check that you have the required timing cover without the seal flange, pulley with scroll and the oil slinger disc.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks very nmuch Simon, I certainly have all the right pieces ie non flanged timing cover,pulley with scroll and oil slinger . I guess I run with what I`ve got?

Thread Information