Laguna tyre wear
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Laguna tyre wear

Just been to a dealer's service center and overheared the mechanic tell a customer (and giving him a before and after readout of the wheel alignment) that there is nothing wrong with his car's wheel alignment and he had to make no changes.
    Customer complained that either the inside or the outside had excessive wear and showed 'scrubing'. This is a new car with 20 000km.
    The mechanic said that this wear pattern is normal and they all do it.
    I think this must be bull and i felt sorry for the customer (older couple) to get that sort of 'service'.
    Do they really all bugger their front tyres at that sort of lowish km? Just curious.

Advertisement

JoBo

Default Uneven tyre wear on V6 Laguna

Hi JoBo

I have posted a similar query one page over under Laguna V6 automatic. I also have experienced uneven front tyre wear that resulted in new tyres being required at 20,000km. To date I have heard nothing that indicates there is a common problem in this area and this is the result of tyre jockeys simply not paying attention to what they are doing!! Do you know if the couple you refer to had a 4 cylinder or 6 (mines a 6). For what it is worth, the original tyres on the car when I bought it had worn evenly, the uneven wear really only appeared when I fitted new tyres and had the allignment done localy by Bob Janes. A check with a Brisbane Renault dealer who had all the latest allignment gear revealed nothing out of whack so the mystery deepens.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by queenslander
    Hi JoBo

I have posted a similar query one page over under Laguna V6 automatic. I also have experienced uneven front tyre wear that resulted in new tyres being required at 20,000km. To date I have heard nothing that indicates there is a common problem in this area and this is the result of tyre jockeys simply not paying attention to what they are doing!! Do you know if the couple you refer to had a 4 cylinder or 6 (mines a 6). For what it is worth, the original tyres on the car when I bought it had worn evenly, the uneven wear really only appeared when I fitted new tyres and had the allignment done localy by Bob Janes. A check with a Brisbane Renault dealer who had all the latest allignment gear revealed nothing out of whack so the mystery deepens.
    Hi Queenslander,

no, i don't know what model/engine it had. Didn't want to meddle in front of the 'expert' technician.
    My mate is an expert on wheel alignment. He has a shed full of cars including pugs and renaults. While he uses old fashioned optical equipment to do the work, he takes the time to adjust everything. This is the key apart from knowing what he is doing.
    Spoke with him about it the other day. The problem is (he works in a garage) that many operators can't be bothered to spend the time / don't have a good understanding, and often the boss discourages long procedures.
    At times values can be within spec. but are not good enough for optimum handling and wear.
    Find someone who cares and knows what he is doing.

Thread Information