ADR compliance
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ADR compliance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002

    Default ADR compliance

    Fellow froggers

    Is there anyone out there who has knowledge of ADR regulations?

    Specifically, when changing from carbs to EFI what standards do you need to adhere to and where can one get a listing of these ADR's?

    If and when you do the conversion - and pass ADR compliance, how does one prove to the cops/vicroads you are compliant?


    This is in anticipation of a conversion to a Fuego. I know the conversion is possible, but if the compliance is worth more than the car - why do it?



  2. #2
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003


    Re :Worth more than the car....Whats worth less than the car..not much.Even doing the swap without ADR complience is over capitalising!!

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Fordman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Perth/West Australia

    Default ADR compliance

    Having worked with ADR's for a range of imported cars & trucks some years ago, this is "my" interpretation of the system:

    Basically it is impossible for an individual to show compliance to an ADR - the ADR is written to define a set of objectives, the manufacturer then designs a system to comply with those objectives, submits their test data to the ADR people, then gets approval to use that system on all the cars they manufacture. In the case of emission controls, this could cost the manufacturer millions of $$ to design an engine and get it approved.

    In the case of importing vehicles to Aust, due to the relatively low number of vehicles, the overseas manufacturer will demonstrate that the vehicles meet a higher (or similar) design rule for another country and use that to get ADR approval in Aust.

    Any change to any component on that engine/emission system means the ADR is no longer complied with - there is no method where you as an individual can get approval to the ADR.

    However, each state has its own set of Vehicle Regulations, and in a vehicle system which is subject to ADR (ie, emission contol) the regulations will not get involved in detail, they will just state that the vehicle must comply with the relevant ADR number.

    Your vehicle is bound by your state regulations, and these usually include a regulation that enables you to modify a car within limits, with approval from your state Transport Department, with possibly a certificate from a registered Automotive Engineer who has inspected the modification.

    I have found in the past that if you replace an engine with one from a later vehicle (ie, complies with at least the ADR of the car model, or later) then an engine swap may be permissible. But theoretically, you can't "mix & match" by swapping components (eg, carby and EFI). The approval to swap engines (or carry out any other modifications) is completely in the hands of your state Transport Dept (licensing people) and virtually "over-rides" the ADR compliance.

    So the long and short of it is - forget the ADR compliance - go to your state licensing dept and they will give you guidance on how/what you can modify and how to get it approved at that level.

    I hope this has been of assistance without being too complicated.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2003


    For NSW theres a whole folder available for modifications to all parts of a vehicle. From memory, the rule when using a donor engine thats newer is you must bring the later attached systems for fueling and emissions with the engine. Changing just the carby to EFI tho, apart from getting some sort of engineer's certificate, which will probably involve emissions testing given the change, should be fairly straightforward I would think.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

  5. #5
    Member geecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    NSW South Coast


    Long ago, in a previous existence, I worked in the ADR area of the Federal Office of Road Safety. Fordman's summary covers the situation quite well.

    It might be useful if I add a little about ADR emissions testing. This is done with a highly specialised chassis dynamometer, with the vehicles driving a simulated trip and the exhaust gases all captured, weighed, measured and analysed by complex equipment and computers to derive a result in terms of grams per kilometer. Then there also is evaporation testing, where the vehicle is locked in a specially constructed heated teflon box and the emissions again are measured. If you were concerned to ensure continued compliance with the ADRs, any changes to the fuel system would need to go through both these tests. The gear involved is so specialised that it is available in Australia only to a few vehicle makers, environment departments and universities - and so expensive to operate that it is just not realistic for private individuals.

    So, as Fordman said, the question comes down to the in-service requirements in your State. Although the "in-service" requirements are administerd by transport departments, in the emissions area they are often driven by environment authorities, which may prohibit any changes: particularly to things like the EGR system. Good luck.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002


    I think the quaestion really comes down to wheter the vehicle will be defectable or not.

    I have been advised that changing from EFI to a carby is not permissable (unless same model car came out with this engine carby combination).
    Changing to EFI is considered a step up. If you are changing to unleaded you must change the system to comply with EFI requirements (ie filler nozzle to accept only unleaded filler hose return fuel line to tank etc).
    In NSW you may be required to pass emissions testing which is free of charge but has a considerable waiting list. You may also be asked to provide engineers certificate saying the conversion was safe. On monday pick up the phone and call RTA technical advice helpline.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002


    Thanks for replies guys,

    OK for a start I shouldn't have used ADR's as such but emissions.

    Also i'm in VIC supposedly not as strict as NSW.

    The thought process is that I could change from carby to genuine Renault EFI but what about later aftermarket EFI?

    Fuel tank and cat would be easy.

    Overcapitalisation? Maybe? What price drivability? Climbing PULP prices?

    However, later aftermarket EFI, I would think has got to be better than ancient 1984 EFI (emissions wise).Therefore emission compliance may be easier with a later EFI setup.

    How do other people who change EFI systems on say WRX's etc get compliance?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts