Looking into buying Clio Sport '01
  • Help

Default Looking into buying Clio Sport '01

Hey guys,

Ive done my research and formed a general idea of what the clio sport 01 is like, now i'd like to ask the renault froggers what they think about it.

So far ive got the basic idea that they are awesome to drive but arent up to standard on reliability, build quality and the dealers can be a bit of a hassle.

A good example will go for about 21k with around 80k on the dial.

Advertisement

For comparison im also looking at a mazda 6, or the likelihood of keeping my 205gti and fixing it up with bigger balls.

Whats everyones advice on the '01 Clio Sport (i know it won BFYB in 2001)

Fellow Frogger!

As far as I'm concerned, the Phase 1 Clio Sport, which was sold in the first batch of 85 in Oz, was the best car until the latest 182 Cup. The Phase II had a lot of chassis work and about 50% new parts but this introduced a decent amount of niggles. Yes, they (the phases) all have some issues but the Phase 1 should actually have less than the others. A few less of the niceties like no climate aircon and no xenons but for my mind, the Phase 1 was a better car than the Phase 2. I still prefer the look of mine to the others.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

I can't speak for Clio Sports, as I've only have a 1.4 Clio. But I can say that I'm impressed with the overall standard of fit and finish, solidity and integrity. She's just about to reach 9000km.

Yes I've had one warranty issue so far - a flakey solenoid in the auto trans - but that was diagnosed and fixed quickly and efficiently by the dealer and the problem has not returned.

Somewhat OT, I was parked next to a Toyota Echo the other day and couldn't help but notice a good deal of orange peel in the paint work, rough looking welding of the window frames and a few other fit and finnish issues. By comparison, my Clio is immaculately finished. I find this observation very interesting, given that Toyota are often hailed as a paragon of quality while Renaults are refered to as troublesome froggies. Based on my experience and observations, the general public perception of French vs Jap vs German quality is based largely on urban myths.

So, look at a few and make up your own mind, taking what you hear from non-froggers with a huge grain of salt.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    As far as I'm concerned, the Phase 1 Clio Sport, which was sold in the first batch of 85 in Oz, was the best car until the latest 182 Cup. The Phase II had a lot of chassis work and about 50% new parts but this introduced a decent amount of niggles. Yes, they (the phases) all have some issues but the Phase 1 should actually have less than the others. A few less of the niceties like no climate aircon and no xenons but for my mind, the Phase 1 was a better car than the Phase 2. I still prefer the look of mine to the others.
    Agree with everything that Craig says. Check out also www.ozrenaultsport.com for heaps more info on the Clio.

i didnt know the mark 2 172 was the same design as the 182...is that right?

so the mark 1 sport, can do 0-100 in under 7 secs, handles as good as any other front wheeler, is reasonably tuneable, all for around the price of a new Mazda 3.

http://www.cliosport.net/specs/clio172mk1.asp

I have a Phase II 172,

i havent had any reliability issues with it. have had the odd warranty claim for some cosmetic things. other then that it has been a good car. i wouldn't buy a phase I on its front end and interior. i think it really shows its age now. Thats just my opinion though. they are both good cars!

mines for sale too

Fellow Frogger!

Actually, I think it shows its era, as such, not really its age. I love the teardrop shaped front lights. The Phase I was a faster car than the original Phase II by a few .1s here and there.

The Phase III has changed on the exterior from the Phase II, as well as the chassis and Cup options etc. Phase II had two special edtions: Jean Ragnotti and PS2 which lead to the Cup option of the 182 (neither of which came to Oz). I believe, without checking the exact figures, that a base 182 is the "PS2 + some" in chassis spec although the PS2 was quite some time before the Phase III 182.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Wasn't there a Cup version of the 172? Not available here of course.

Stripped of aircon, abs, t/c, rear wiper , leather interior etc, xenons.
    It was both cheaper and lighter than the standard 172

The 182 Cup version we get is actually a normal 182 with the cup suspension pack option.

O/S the 182 Cup is CHEAPER than a standard 182. Losses climate control, leather interior, xenons but equipped with the cup suspension. The only reason to buy it is the cheaper price.

hi guys,

how do we know if a clio 172 is a phase1,2,3? also what year make corresponds to what phase? sorry guys just a bit confused as i am looking to buy a used clio sport 172

Cheers.
    Kenn.

In the beginning. Sales commenced mid 2001 of the the RenaultSport Clio Cup, effectively the Clio 2 Phase 1. A limited edition of 85 cars all individually numbered with an interior plaque. This has the 172 motor, a more colourful interior with coloured Renaultsport logos on the seats, weird suede steering wheel, manual A/C and black door handles and side rubbing strip.

Then introduced in late 2001 was the Clio 2 Phase 2 with the revised front end styling that is still on the current cars. This has a revised bulkhead supposedly to improve the driving position, and the Renaultsport logo on the seats is now pale grey, body coloured door handles and side rubbing strip. The gearbox was slightly rearranged as far as ratios go. Also 172 motor.

Early 2003 saw the introduction of a revised RS Clio fitted with traction control. There was a limited edition F1 version of this car in 2004, but it was in the standard range of colours and came with a box of goodies like a Scalextric set, watch, threads and other assorted throwaways, as well as a numbered plaque in the interior. These were also fitted with the 172 motor.

The above car was superseded by the Clio 182 in late 2004, this model also has the option of the special Cup suspension package with charcoal coloured wheels. Also available in a limited edition F1 version of 30 Racing Blue coloured cars with the Cup suspension option mostly with racing stripes and a numbered plaque in the interior.

The build date is on a sticker in the RH door pillar, along with the vehicle ID details.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. I guess i want the 2003 version with traction control.

Cheers.
    Kenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    In the beginning. Sales commenced mid 2001 of the the RenaultSport Clio Cup, effectively the Clio 2 Phase 1. A limited edition of 85 cars all individually numbered with an interior plaque. This has the 172 motor, a more colourful interior with coloured Renaultsport logos on the seats, weird suede steering wheel, manual A/C and black door handles and side rubbing strip.

Then introduced in late 2001 was the Clio 2 Phase 2 with the revised front end styling that is still on the current cars. This has a revised bulkhead supposedly to improve the driving position, and the Renaultsport logo on the seats is now pale grey, body coloured door handles and side rubbing strip. The gearbox was slightly rearranged as far as ratios go. Also 172 motor.

Early 2003 saw the introduction of a revised RS Clio fitted with traction control. There was a limited edition F1 version of this car in 2004, but it was in the standard range of colours and came with a box of goodies like a Scalextric set, watch, threads and other assorted throwaways, as well as a numbered plaque in the interior. These were also fitted with the 172 motor.

The above car was superseded by the Clio 182 in late 2004, this model also has the option of the special Cup suspension package with charcoal coloured wheels. Also available in a limited edition F1 version of 30 Racing Blue coloured cars with the Cup suspension option mostly with racing stripes and a numbered plaque in the interior.

The build date is on a sticker in the RH door pillar, along with the vehicle ID details.

hi guys,

i was wondering what colour are the dash(dials) display when you turn on the headlights? assuming on the 2003/2004 models. is it like orange(bmw colour)?

Cheers.
    Kenn.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, orange, but I think that colour was around for a lot longer than BMW was. Some trees, rocks etc seem to be "orange" naturally...
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Tadpole

Default Great car that Clio sport!

I too, am looking at a Clio sport to add to my Citroen XM and 406 coupe. I wanted a good little "Buzz Box" and frankly, although I wanted a 206 GTi the Clio sport leaves it for dead!

So, what are the negatives?? like when the timing belt needs to be change? and what are the big repairs?? I'll get a 2003 with about 50,000 kms.

And, I almost took on an Alpha 147, can I be forgiven........?

moosey

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stewart
    I too, am looking at a Clio sport to add to my Citroen XM and 406 coupe. I wanted a good little "Buzz Box" and frankly, although I wanted a 206 GTi the Clio sport leaves it for dead!

So, what are the negatives?? like when the timing belt needs to be change? and what are the big repairs?? I'll get a 2003 with about 50,000 kms.

And, I almost took on an Alpha 147, can I be forgiven........?
    Timing belt is at 5yrs/100,000km - about a $700ish job, otherwise the cars are cheap to service. There are a few common issues/faults, but not so many that you want to pull your hair out. As I posted earlier, there's a load of info on www.ozrenaultsport.com Good luck!

hi guys,

do any of the 2002 models come with ESP? also ALL 2003 models have ESP? i.e. traction control?

Is that the only difference between 2002 and 2003 models?

Regards,
    Kenn.

Default Phase 1 RSC 172

Quote Originally Posted by stevesteve
    Hey guys,

Ive done my research and formed a general idea of what the clio sport 01 is like, now i'd like to ask the renault froggers what they think about it.

So far ive got the basic idea that they are awesome to drive but arent up to standard on reliability, build quality and the dealers can be a bit of a hassle.

A good example will go for about 21k with around 80k on the dial.

For comparison im also looking at a mazda 6, or the likelihood of keeping my 205gti and fixing it up with bigger balls.

Whats everyones advice on the '01 Clio Sport (i know it won BFYB in 2001)
    Hello stevesteve

I've owned a Phase 1 RSC now for about 2yrs (No:46/85), no problems with the car in that time except for a non communative CLIP, which of course got fixed under warranty.
    I understand that this particular model was and still may be the lightest of all the 172's and possibly the 182's, I know it was the quicker of the two in 172 form.
    I managed to do a track day in november last year and got the oppertunity to really push the car to its limits and find out for myself everything that had been written about these cars. Everything is true.
    The brakes were spectacular all day, the car just reved and reved all day, I even managed to spin it across a grassy bank sideways, and I mean bank, the car got some air (pretty close to rolling it). The car came out unscathed and I carried on for the rest of day pushing just as hard. Tyres got me in the end.

I was very impressed with the cars performance and the build quality, this car belongs on the track. Had quite a few comments from the other participants on how impressive the car was, and managed to get a few to stand up and take notice of a Renault Clio.

No complaints, love this car
    go out and buy one

P.S you do not need traction control, it just adds weight

Spencer172

Hey Spencer172,

lol thanks for the feedback, i got a big cheesy grin on my face from reading about the track day , sounds awesome.

the biggest trouble about the 172 mark 1 is finding one when im ready to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    I have a Phase II 172,

i i wouldn't buy a phase I on its front end and interior. i think it really shows its age now.
    I just love my Mk1 interior and prefer it over the MkII. IMHO the rounded shapes are nicer, the two tone blue/grey is much more appealing than the all round grey of the MkII and the dials are white instead of black and much easier to read. Not to mention the lovely Irma Thurman wheel and groovy billiard ball gearknob (tad cold in winter though!)

Its horses for courses and personal preference

Thread Information